IGNORED

Is a WICO Command Control Joystick compatible with an Odyssey 2 system.

DocSicnarf

Hello everyone.

I've got a question, Recently went to go find my odyssey 2 system that was accidentally stored away from the move only to find I'm missing a joystick. I do have an "original release" system if that makes any difference on the jack input. A sega controller does plug into it still, so I'm thinking it's the same from what I've read. But my real question is, will a WICO command control joystick plug in and work with my Odyssey 2 console? I was thinking about replacing the missing one with a new/used odyssey controller off ebay, but I remembered these awesome joystick and would rather get one of these than an original joystick. I'm not sure what the joysticks plug in looks like as I can't find a close enough picture of it anywhere, or and specs for that matter. Please help.

Hello everyone.

I've got a question, Recently went to go find my odyssey 2 system that was accidentally stored away from the move only to find I'm missing a joystick. I do have an "original release" system if that makes any difference on the jack input. A sega controller does plug into it still, so I'm thinking it's the same from what I've read. But my real question is, will a WICO command control joystick plug in and work with my Odyssey 2 console? I was thinking about replacing the missing one with a new/used odyssey controller off ebay, but I remembered these awesome joystick and would rather get one of these than an original joystick. I'm not sure what the joysticks plug in looks like as I can't find a close enough picture of it anywhere, or and specs for that matter. Please help.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Read on...

Atari-compatible joysticks will not work with the Odyssey 2. Many systems, such as the Channel F System II, Astrocade, Vectrex, Intellivision II, Odyssey 2 (detachable-joysticks version), Atari VCS, and 3DO all use the same 9-pin plug, but are not interchangeable. You can plug each others' controllers into each other, but -in the case of these systems- they won't work. So, if you need an Odyssey 2 joystick, then you need...well...an Odyssey 2 joystick. :) :D

However, the Wico joystick WILL work with an Atari VCS/Sears Video Arcade, Atari 400/800/XL/XE, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore 64, Colecovision, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and possibly a gaggle of others I'm forgetting. A controller that works with one of these will work with all of them.

(Although, if you use, say, an Atari 2600 controller on something like a 7800, Colecovision, or Master System, games using multiple buttons may be difficult or impossible to play since obviously only one fire button is mapped. Same applies with the Wico; it has two buttons, but they do the same thing. Think of it as two different ways to press the same fire button.)

The funny thing about the Odyssey 2 with detachable joysticks is that, theoretically, if a controller dies on you, you can easily replace it. Thing is, replacement Odyssey 2 joysticks -particularly detachable-version ones- are very tough to find unless you buy another system that includes them, which kind of defeats the purpose. And as far as I know, there were no third-party alternatives. Interestingly, though, Wico did make a trakball controller for the Odyssey 2, but they are exceptionally rare (go figure!).

Anyway, if there's a detachable-model Odyssey joystick on eBay right now for a fair price (~$20 or less...I wouldn't pay more than $25), I'd jump on it. Just be sure that it's the correct DETACHABLE version, and not a NONDETACHABLE version. Despite the name, nondetachable-version Odyssey joysticks actually ARE detachable, but are connected directly to the Odyssey motherboard via green Molex connector, similarly to early Apple II controllers; you have to open up the system to remove/replace them. The easy way to tell them apart:

DETACHABLE JOYSTICK: has 9-pin molded plug...looks similar to the connector on an Atari joystick. (But you know this already, because you have one. Me are smart. :dunce: )

NONDETACHABLE JOYSTICK: has squarish-looking green Molex connector, with "exposed" colored wires leading away from the plug, sort of like a miniature ribbon cable; connects internally to later-version Odyssey 2 systems with "non-removable" controllers.

Needless to say (but I will anyway), since these have different connectors and connect in different ways, these are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps! :)

(Sorry for being so long-winded and convoluted!)

Well, that joystick may technically be compatible with the Sega Genesis, but you're going to have a heck of a time starting a game without a start button!

http://pinouts.ru/

Sites like these offer pinouts for early game controllers. Generally speaking, these controllers are simple and use a wire for each directional, plus one for the action button and another for ground. Later ones (from the Sega Genesis on up) use alternating voltages to juggle multiple buttons, or an even more complicated process for the jumble of buttons and sticks on the Playstation Dual Shock pad.

I don't know if the Odyssey2 is covered on this site but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out the pinouts on your own, if you had a multimeter handy. Once you've got those written down an adapter would be easy to build.

There exists also an adaptor that allows the use of "standard" Atari/Commodore compatible joysticks with the Odyssey2. But those adaptors are not easy to find nowadays.

So adapting a Wico (or whatsoever) joystick to work on the Odyssey2 will probably be the best option. Not much work, and basic skills in soldering will do :)

Edited by ccc---

However, the Wico joystick WILL work with an Atari VCS/Sears Video Arcade, Atari 400/800/XL/XE, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore 64, Colecovision, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and possibly a gaggle of others I'm forgetting. A controller that works with one of these will work with all of them.

(Although, if you use, say, an Atari 2600 controller on something like a 7800, Colecovision, or Master System, games using multiple buttons may be difficult or impossible to play since obviously only one fire button is mapped. Same applies with the Wico; it has two buttons, but they do the same thing. Think of it as two different ways to press the same fire button.)

There's a SMS version of the Wico where both buttons are mapped, but there is no way to tell aside from the box and inserts.

Look here:

Seems like its quite easy to do. The video is in German, but I think you can propably get the gist without really understanding what is said.

Here is the pinout translated:

White --> Pin 1 (up)

Yellow --> Pin 2 (down)

Orange --> Pin 3 (left)

Green --> Pin 4 (right)

Red --> Pin 6 (fire)

Black --> Pin 8 (GND)

But note this video is about the "Videopac G7000". That is just the European version of the Odyssey 2, but you never know if maybe the colors of the wires might be different. Maybe someone with the US O2 can cross-check that.

If i'm correct, the cord from the controller is detachable, inside the joystick itself. So you could get a cheaper system with attached joysticks, Open them and switch the joystick with a detachable one, by changing the controller cord.

img_2366.jpg

For modifying a 2600 joystick look at this forum:

Videopac.nl forum

Edited by Seob

There's a SMS version of the Wico where both buttons are mapped, but there is no way to tell aside from the box and inserts.

I am fairly positive that both buttons are not mapped. It still has the switch to change which button is used.

Far as I know the only difference is the pinout. You could conceivably wire up any 9 pin controller to work for the O2 in that regard if you're willing to fiddle around in there. I know that straight up arcade sticks just need to be wired directly to the parts in question - up to up, button to button, etc.

Now to wait for someone to make an Odyssey 2 compatible Street Fighter 4 stick...

Edited by ubersaurus

It seems to me the best option is to build an adaptor to make any 9 pin stick work with the Odyssey. It's just a typical 8 way stick and a single fire button, so it shouldn't be to hard to properly rewire it to work with a typical controller.

I suggest an adaptor, only because I don't really like modding original hardware, but I love to tinker around, and if you know the pinouts, it should be easy to do.