IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYFeFItX5w

As promised here is a video to show the current progress on the Ultimate SD project for the Atari 5200.

My camera only takes videos up to 3 minutes long so I got cut off at the end, but basically I was saying this is still in beta testing so what you see probably won't be exactly like the final version. I'll try to post more updates as things move along.

I didn't show the hardware itself because its not much to look at right now, just a PCB with a blinky light. ;-) The photos in the Harmony 5200 thread pretty much show it all. Once I get another round of prototypes that fit properly in a 5200 shell I will get to work on the label and final packaging stuff.

Steve

post-934-129183199796_thumb.jpg

Edited by classics
  • Like 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYFeFItX5w

As promised here is a video to show the current progress on the Ultimate SD project for the Atari 5200.

My camera only takes videos up to 3 minutes long so I got cut off at the end, but basically I was saying this is still in beta testing so what you see probably won't be exactly like the final version. I'll try to post more updates as things move along.

I didn't show the hardware itself because its not much to look at right now, just a PCB with a blinky light. ;-) The photos in the Harmony 5200 thread pretty much show it all. Once I get another round of prototypes that fit properly in a 5200 shell I will get to work on the label and final packaging stuff.

Steve

Really nice work there, Steve!

As I did for the Colecovision USB cart, you can count on me for an Atari 5200 USB cart as well!

Nice work Steve!

My only question is... did you negotiate a deal with a homebrewer to release a ROM or two with this one? Or perhaps you have other plans? lol

Well, I have a lot of conversions I've done myself that I can go with, but as things get closer I'll talk to a couple people who have done original 8-bit or 5200 games and see whats possible.

Steve

• Like 1

BTW I have one more prototype here that will need some testing. If anyone has multiple 5200s and time to go through and play test various 5200 games on the cart drop me a PM.

I only have one left though and I'd need it back when testing is complete. :-)

Steve

• Like 1

Well, I have a lot of conversions I've done myself that I can go with, but as things get closer I'll talk to a couple people who have done original 8-bit or 5200 games and see whats possible.

Steve

Yeah would be awesome to get some of the xl conversions you haven't released and we keep bugging about!

BTW I have one more prototype here that will need some testing. If anyone has multiple 5200s and time to go through and play test various 5200 games on the cart drop me a PM.

Steve

Hmm, I have a 4port, a 2port and a jr that I could test with; not sure I really have the time right now though. I don't have the revised 4port either.

Mitch

Steve

Hmm, I have a 4port, a 2port and a jr that I could test with; not sure I really have the time right now though. I don't have the revised 4port either.

Mitch

Looks like this is taken care of for the moment, but when I get one back I'll probably need a little more testing if you have time. :-) Thanks for offering!

Steve

• Like 1

Any hopes for a 400/800/XL/XE version?

Very possible, though for the 8-bit I think I would have to concentrate on XEX/COM/EXE type files. Is there even an archive of actual ROM images for the 8-bit?

Steve

]

So .atr format isnt likely to be supported?

Sure, the current Maxflash cartridges support EXE/ATR type programs and an SD cartridge would do the same, in the same way. I was more referring to actual bank switched ROM images. Most stuff for the 8-bit is very disk oriented and most cartridges were available as cracked EXE files, no so much as ROM images.

Steve

• Like 2

Looks like this is taken care of for the moment, but when I get one back I'll probably need a little more testing if you have time. :-) Thanks for offering!

Steve

That's good. I will hopefully have more time again after Christmas if you need more testing then.

Very possible, though for the 8-bit I think I would have to concentrate on XEX/COM/EXE type files. Is there even an archive of actual ROM images for the 8-bit?

Steve

]

So .atr format isnt likely to be supported?

Sure, the current Maxflash cartridges support EXE/ATR type programs and an SD cartridge would do the same, in the same way. I was more referring to actual bank switched ROM images. Most stuff for the 8-bit is very disk oriented and most cartridges were available as cracked EXE files, no so much as ROM images.

Steve

There are a couple of partial archives made of cart dumps using the AtariMax USB reader. I did one myself and I think there were one or two others made. It did point out that there are several bad dumps that are pretty commonly floating around out there. Having all cart ROMs including bankswitched games playing on a A8 USB cart would be a nice addition over the current Maxflash cart. :)

Mitch

Yes, there are several:

Atarimania Cart Games

Atarionline Games

There are also other resources.

I would definitely be up for something like this, whether it used ROMs or not, because SD cards are more convenient.

One benefit of using ROMs, if XEGS/MegaCarts are supported, is that those games could be run on 64k of memeory, as intended, rather than needing extended memory as is often the case when converted to executable form (Commando, Barnyard Blaster, etc.). Even the lower capacity carts would be nice to run from such a device, as they are clean versions.