IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

I might be interested in an 8-bit flash cart, depending on its capabilities. i.e. that it can play almost any 8-bit ROM with ease.

Most of the devices that have been created as true "flash" are pretty expensive and often out of stock for good. Plus they require modification to the XL itself.

any estimate DATE, classics?

I think the beta testers have cartridges in-hand today, so if that goes well I'll push ahead with a final prototype next week.

After that its hard to say, as its all boring production stuff that will take a back seat to the holidays and classes starting again, but probably not more than a few months.

Steve

• Like 2

Yeah would be awesome to get some of the xl conversions you haven't released and we keep bugging about!

I don't recall off hand which ones I held back from releasing as ROM images.

I suppose I could just include them all as a bonus. That should cover it. :-)

Steve

• Like 1

Any chance that this would be available for the holiday discount prior to 12/31? :D had to ask.

AX

There is progress happening behind the scenes, but I don't think I will be able to start pre-ordering for a few weeks.

I was a bit nervous about beta testing since 5200 systems have always seemed a little fickle to me, but the design seems to hold up well to it. Beta testing has gone extraordinarily well and all of the functions of the cart seem to be working perfectly on all systems.

I'm going to order the final set of prototypes in the next two or three days. If those work and fit as expected, I'll start pre-ordering right away.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. What should be the final prototypes have arrived and are being tested now, photos are attached. :-)

It seems like all of the major bugs are worked out and there are no outstanding issues with the existing library of 5200 games.

The system software now supports viewing 8-bit images in .PIC (Koala/Micropainter) format. I'm looking into music file support, but most of the music formats for the 8-bit are machine specific.

The boot software now includes a diagnostic package that can be accessed even without an SD card present by holding down fire when starting the console. This currently includes some SD cartridge communication tests, but I'm going to expand it to include the standard array of console tests like RAM test, BIOS ID, controller test, etc.

There will be an authorized digital copy of a 5200 homebrew included with the cartridge. More news on this later.

As for the 5200 conversions I've done, I can't really include them officially. What I'll do is just post the entire collection for download on the release date so everyone can get them free of charge. A lot of these are already available, but this should fill in the gaps.

Barring any major issues I should be able to start taking pre-orders in the next few weeks for delivery within 30 days of ordering. :-)

BTW if anyone has a lot of 5200 commons to sell send me a PM, I'm still looking for 70 or so donor carts.

Steve

post-934-12948769183_thumb.jpg

post-934-129487692347_thumb.jpg

post-934-129487692754_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just a quick update. What should be the final prototypes have arrived and are being tested now, photos are attached. :-)

It seems like all of the major bugs are worked out and there are no outstanding issues with the existing library of 5200 games.

The system software now supports viewing 8-bit images in .PIC (Koala/Micropainter) format. I'm looking into music file support, but most of the music formats for the 8-bit are machine specific.

The boot software now includes a diagnostic package that can be accessed even without an SD card present by holding down fire when starting the console. This currently includes some SD cartridge communication tests, but I'm going to expand it to include the standard array of console tests like RAM test, BIOS ID, controller test, etc.

There will be an authorized digital copy of a 5200 homebrew included with the cartridge. More news on this later.

As for the 5200 conversions I've done, I can't really include them officially. What I'll do is just post the entire collection for download on the release date so everyone can get them free of charge. A lot of these are already available, but this should fill in the gaps.

Barring any major issues I should be able to start taking pre-orders in the next few weeks for delivery within 30 days of ordering. :-)

BTW if anyone has a lot of 5200 commons to sell send me a PM, I'm still looking for 70 or so donor carts.

Steve

:lust:

AX

W0W, that has got my attention :love: what the MAX size SD can be used?

It supports SDHC and FAT32, the maximum card size is 4GB.

Unrelated but I forgot to post it previously, in addition to the homebrew game that will be included I've also completed a new 8-bit conversion.

Steve

Edited by classics