IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

Is the pricing I saw on the Atarimax site, $125, accurate? If so, that's gonna hurt my wallet quite a bit. :|

Atarimax stuff is expensive. :sad:

When the ColecoVision SD cart came out, a few people sold their USB carts at decent discounts, so that might be the way to go for some.

Was it still not possible to have some kind of reset to menu on this cart, like the Colecovision?

On my coleco cart, for most games, reset on the cart gives me the insert a game screen. Then I have to press reset on the console to get back to the menu. Thats normal right?

Yes, the reset on the CV cart is to avoid using the on/off switch, which fails constantly on Colecovision units. If pressing the reset on the CV cart does not restart the menu, you should only have to press reset on the console to return to it, not power cycle.

Steve

Is the pricing I saw on the Atarimax site, $125, accurate? If so, that's gonna hurt my wallet quite a bit. :|

When the ColecoVision SD cart came out, a few people sold their USB carts at decent discounts, so that might be the way to go for some.

I just purchased my 5200 USB cart direct from AtariMax before the holidays :(

Yeah mine is still sealed, not even out of the static wrap and staples once. Some a$$ from Brazil agreed to buy it then backed out after reading this thread. Got marked down to $90 now. Still no takers. Don't suppose there is any way to recycle with a core trade in :D ?

AX

Price would be fine if it allows you to back up Bounty Bob Strikes Back or came preloaded with games.

Price would be fine if it allows you to back up Bounty Bob Strikes Back or came preloaded with games.

Are you making a statement to telling me that you think its not expensive? I don't really get the point of your post.

I admit to having never played BBSB but I've never felt like I was missing anything. I guess it would be nice.

As for preloaded with games, well I would hope the games would also be released to those of us that spent lots of money on the previous product. Thats kind of the point of having a writable multicart.

Are you making a statement to telling me that you think its not expensive? I don't really get the point of your post.

I admit to having never played BBSB but I've never felt like I was missing anything. I guess it would be nice.

As for preloaded with games, well I would hope the games would also be released to those of us that spent lots of money on the previous product. Thats kind of the point of having a writable multicart.

classics is a good guy... you might be able to convince him to give you the conversions for the USB version... although it'd be a nice "value add" for selling the SD version.

I was just saying that if it came with preloaded carts or supported Bounty Bob, the price (of $125) would be fine. I'm not sure what it comes with as I am still using original carts with my system.

I was just saying that if it came with preloaded carts or supported Bounty Bob, the price (of $125) would be fine. I'm not sure what it comes with as I am still using original carts with my system.

If I still had a 5200, I'd probably spring for the SD version for those same reasons. Those with less of a budget, though, might be able to at least afford a used USB version once the SD version becomes available.

If I still had a 5200, I'd probably spring for the SD version for those same reasons. Those with less of a budget, though, might be able to at least afford a used USB version once the SD version becomes available.

I hinted at it before, but its pretty much settled at this point that the 5200 SD multi-cart will come with ALL of the 5200 conversions I've done previously, which is a pretty long list. This includes the ones that were only released on the rom multi-cart or as separate carts such as Demon Attack.

All of the conversions were standard 32K carts, so you will be able to download them to play on the USB cart as well, or in an emulator.

The SD cart does play Bounty Bob Strikes Back, and MULE and supports a few other bank switching methods.

More extras will include at least one brand new 32K conversion, and possibly a larger conversion, which is looking like it may be complete in time.

I've also purchased the rights to a 5200 homebrew from its author so that the full version can be included with each kit as a bonus. This deal is complete, but the title will be announced at the time of release.

Things are still coming together slowly and a few more things may be in the works. I'll try to post a more complete list as things begin to solidify behind the scenes. :)

Steve

Edited by classics
  • Like 3

In terms of price, $125 is a decent amount of money, yes, but these flash carts are hand made and warrantied. Almost any for any system, are around that amount. Only exception has been Krikzz, who is in Ukraine, and doesn't do labels or the case, and probably has a lower living cost there. Or maybe some produced in China, with no warranty and questionable quality.

The USB cart has been available for several years now, it's not like classics made it a few months ago and now its outdated. It was pretty easy to suspect that he would make a SD cart for 5200 after the Colecovision was done. Plus you can't complain if he's releasing all kinds of conversion roms, for anyone to use with USB or SD. And don't forget if people didn't buy these from someone like Steve, he wouldn't make them and wouldn't consider future updated versions. Or perhaps an even more exciting one for me, beyond this cart, would be a similar design for the 8-bit Atari computers.

PS: Hey ax, wow, no takers at $90 for the USB? Yikes, I was hoping to get something for mine! :ponder:

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2

In terms of price, $125 is a decent amount of money, yes, but these flash carts are hand made and warrantied. Almost any for any system, are around that amount. Only exception has been Krikzz, who is in Ukraine, and doesn't do labels or the case, and probably has a lower living cost there. Or maybe some produced in China, with no warranty and questionable quality.

The USB cart has been available for several years now, it's not like classics made it a few months ago and now its outdated. It was pretty easy to suspect that he would make a SD cart for 5200 after the Colecovision was done. Plus you can't complain if he's releasing all kinds of conversion roms, for anyone to use with USB or SD. And don't forget if people didn't buy these from someone like Steve, he wouldn't make them and wouldn't consider future updated versions. Or perhaps an even more exciting one for me, beyond this cart, would be a similar design for the 8-bit Atari computers.

PS: Hey ax, wow, no takers at $90 for the USB? Yikes, I was hoping to get something for mine! :ponder:

Yeah, no complaints here. As an owner of BBSB (at a cost of nearly $600 in the big box) I'm looking forward to playing it without disturbing it.

Still no takers at $90, marked it down to $72 (20% off) and still nobody. If I put it up on ePay I'd bet the listing gets pulled. Maybe I should game gavel it, but they tend to be the same group of people who look at AA anyway. For $50 off you would think someone would want it.

AX

Yeah, no complaints here. As an owner of BBSB (at a cost of nearly $600 in the big box) I'm looking forward to playing it without disturbing it.

Still no takers at $90, marked it down to $72 (20% off) and still nobody. If I put it up on ePay I'd bet the listing gets pulled. Maybe I should game gavel it, but they tend to be the same group of people who look at AA anyway. For $50 off you would think someone would want it.

AX

D'oh, well yeah, I mean, once classics releases his conversions, the only game you wouldn't be able to play on the USB is BBSB, and possibly future conversions or other large games (if those even get created). Granted on 128 roms fit on it at once, still, it's quite a good bargain.

Wonder what classics does will the ones he's stuck with? :D

Edited by Greg2600

Woah, seriously? Is that shrinkwrapped and mint?

Steve

No, its supposedly one of the two known copies of the big box with both BBSB and Miner 2049er. That's how Atari2600.com billed it when I bought it. Not sure how many were actually made in reality.

AX

Just a quick update, I've now completed three completely new 5200 conversion games that will be coming with the SD cartridge.

These will be 'unofficial' extras, like the rest of the existing conversion collection, in addition to the official extra of the 5200 homebrew.

Hardware is finalized and most of the software bugs seem to be pretty well squashed.

I'm going to try and have pre-ordering up by Feb 1st. :-) I'll try to post a complete list of features and a new video tour of the cartridge by then.

Steve

• Like 1

Keeps getting better!

Yeah. I'm gonna get one of these even though I don't really need it.

Its very very cool and the Coleco one works great so this will be just as great.

Now I'll have 3 multicarts! A dip switch Sean Kelly, AtariMax USB, and now AtariMax SD.

Its going to work out though, I have 2 5200s always hooked up in different parts of the house. Now I won't have to go find the multicart, I can just leave one with each 5200. :)