IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

When will we see the the 5200 SD cart? I know the pre orders will be up soon

I would try to start shipping within 30 days of pre-orders starting. I try to never take any orders for products unless I'm 100% sure they are ready to start shipping, so it will still be a couple more days as parts come in.

Steve

When will we see the the 5200 SD cart? I know the pre orders will be up soon

I would try to start shipping within 30 days of pre-orders starting. I try to never take any orders for products unless I'm 100% sure they are ready to start shipping, so it will still be a couple more days as parts come in.

Steve

Perfect. I was in the middle of buying 5200 carts on eBay. I will put that on hold and wait for the pre order date of you're new toy. I love multi carts. I have a harmony cart, NES multi cart and soon one for the 5200. I just noticed they have one for a CV. Holy cow. Slow down guys! Yall breaking my bank LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks great and full credit to Steve for continuing to support the Atari 5200.

Yes you can say that $129 isn't cheap but then the cost of a professional production run of PCBs isn't cheap either. If Steve was able to sell hundreds of thousands of these then costs would come down but the 5200 is a niche market in the grand scheme of things.

Once I've sorted out a working 5200 (mine has given up the ghost) I'll be buying one of these babies.

I received confirmation of the PCB shipment, so the web page is opened up pre-ordering. :-)

You can find the pre-order information in the Marketplace thread here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/177290-atari-5200-ultimate-sd-cartridge-pre-ordering-now-available/

I'll be posting the new 5200 conversions shortly in the forum here.

Thanks to Allen and Dr. Manhattan who both did beta testing and worked like crazy to help iron out as many bugs as humanly possible in such a short time.

There were plenty of them too, so if everything works smoothly for you, you can give them a lot of the credit. :-)

Steve

necromancer.jpglasergates.jpgshamus2.jpg

Edited by classics

I'm more used to have a USB-writable cart. What are the pro's and con's to a USB vs SD cart version of this? I'd like to get one of them. This may sound silly, but I never write SD cards - what do you use to update the cards? (Again,I'm used to hooking up a cart to a PC usb port and loading stuff that way).

And I've just pre-ordered mine as well.

This year was the first time I ever won a Super Bowl pool ($200) and many people asked me what I planned to do with my winnings. Until 5 minutes ago I had no answer. I'd piddled away a little bit here & there on cables from monoprice and a lot of random comic books at Woot (god I'm a geek!), but I've just now spent the remainder of the windfall.

Can't wait to receive it!

Ordered mine :)

Ordered a harmony cartridge also today.

I pre order that cart also when they first came out. Don't ya just love this multi carts??? Oh and my CV sd cart should be in today! Whoaaaa

Yes :))

I think the day that every cartridge console get a flash cartridge it will be a glorious day.

I have the Everdrive and Super Everdrive by Krikzz and I'm very happy that I can play every super nintendo, genesis and 32x with just 2 cartridges.

Let's hope for a 7800 and jaguar multi cartridge.

Ordered mine :)

Ordered a harmony cartridge also today.

I pre order that cart also when they first came out. Don't ya just love this multi carts??? Oh and my CV sd cart should be in today! Whoaaaa

Yes :))

I think the day that every cartridge console get a flash cartridge it will be a glorious day.

I have the Everdrive and Super Everdrive by Krikzz and I'm very happy that I can play every super nintendo, genesis and 32x with just 2 cartridges.

Let's hope for a 7800 and jaguar multi cartridge.

Second that!

I'm more used to have a USB-writable cart. What are the pro's and con's to a USB vs SD cart version of this? I'd like to get one of them. This may sound silly, but I never write SD cards - what do you use to update the cards? (Again,I'm used to hooking up a cart to a PC usb port and loading stuff that way).

Hi Cafeman!

SD cart = no drivers. You just drop the roms on the SD card and away you go. You don't need any special software.

I guess a con would be that the list is a directory listing, so you would need to give as long and detailed a name to each rom as you want to appear on screen.

I hope I explained that right. :)

Order placed! The conversions included look fantastic. Please also include the other previously unreleased conversions like Demon Attack. Thanks ;)

I won't forget these. I'll be posting them right here for download. :-)

Nothing special is required to update the SD card. You literally just put it in a PC or a laptop, copy the ROMs you want to play to the \5200 directory, put it back in the 5200 and go. The cartridges on-board CPU takes care of reading/organizing the directory on the fly.

@Everyone else: Thanks for the support and pre-orders... looks like I'll be pretty busy building these as soon as those PCBs arrive. :-)

Steve