IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

I've had difficulties with Pole Position and the joystick, too: the car just steers all the way to the left and can't be controlled with the joystick at all, though it controls perfectly if I use the Trak-Ball controller. My joysticks are Best Electronics upgraded sticks which haven't given me any trouble with other games, and I believe I'm using the ROM image from AtariAge. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to be having this problem, anyway.

I have the opposite problem. I can control the game fine with the joystick, but when using the trakball the car constantly steers to the left.

Got my Atarimax SD cart a few days ago and it is really awesome!

I have one question for the forum...has any one had issues with Pole Position? My PP cart works great, but when I play PP from my Atarimax, it does not respond to the joystick. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried a couple different BIN's and they both do the same thing.

I don't have this problem with any other games...

Doesn't this sound like the dumped BIN's are the problem? They might have all come from the same original. After all, why would it make any difference on a cart vs atarimax ? strange.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with Ms. Pac-Man roms on my AtariMax cart (the one that holds 128 roms, not the SD version). My original Ms. Pac-Man cart works fine on my 5200, but all the roms I've tried on the AtariMax cart don't work. When you press a direction on the joystick, you just get some corruption on the screen and Ms. Pac-Man never moves. I even tried replacing the 2-port bios with a 4-port bios.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh ok... I thought I might have been doing it, when I didn't have to. It's refreshing to learn that I haven't been doing it incorrectly, but disappointing that it is the only way. If it doesn't damage the system in the long run I'm happy. :)

I wonder if it were possible to install a momentary switch to the power circuit that when pressed once, would reset the system.

From what I've read on the website, the 512K SRAM onboard can be used to accommodate large sized ROM images. Is there any way to treat that RAM as system RAM so the 5200 has more than 16K available or is that a limitation that can't be overcome due to the system BIOS or cartridge port line limitations? Didn't some 5200 carts come with 32K packed in the cart or was that just in the case of some 7800 games? I'd imagine if external RAM was able to be used to supplement the system RAM then more XL/XE games could be converted.

My apologies for talking out of my cartridge port. And I'd definitely like to lend my voice to the idea of a 7800 version. :)

Does anyone have a zipped file with a good selection of 5200 screenshots in .pic format,

as well as a zip of 5200 manuals in .txt format that will work with the sd multicart? Thanks in advance! ;-)

manuals attached

no clue about the screenshots though,

the .pic files won't even show up right :?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...