IGNORED

Atari 5200 Ultimate SD Cartridge Project Update

classics

I'm more used to have a USB-writable cart. What are the pro's and con's to a USB vs SD cart version of this? I'd like to get one of them. This may sound silly, but I never write SD cards - what do you use to update the cards? (Again,I'm used to hooking up a cart to a PC usb port and loading stuff that way).

Think of an SD card as a modern floppy disk. Just a lot smaller and it can hold a lot more data. ;)

Mitch

I hinted at it before, but its pretty much settled at this point that the 5200 SD multi-cart will come with ALL of the 5200 conversions I've done previously, which is a pretty long list. This includes the ones that were only released on the rom multi-cart or as separate carts such as Demon Attack.

Is this 100% for certain Steve?

It's not as if I needed incentive to make the decision to order one (I didn't, I already decided and am going to order mine by the end of this weekend!), but this would have all but forced me to if I did. I was kinda bummed when the usb version came out and there were a lot of xl conversions not available...I might have sold my (non-usb) 128-in-1 here in the marketplace had they been made available so as to make a few bucks back. I kept it instead so I could play Demon Attack, Atlantis, and the other dozen or so otherwise unreleased conversions.

Atarimax stuff is expensive. :sad:

I would say yes...kinda...think of what you're getting though. The ability to play EVERY 5200 original release game, plus hacks, conversions, several homebrews, and who-knows-what down the road...I've bought quite a bit from Classics over the years. Everything is well-made and lasts like it should (remember the old Sean Kelly dipswitch carts? I'd bet $$ that a good half of them wound up going bad, and (AFAIK) he's no longer in the scene so if yours busted you've basically got a petty expensive paperweight).

Aye, this is killing me. I have dozens of real 5200 carts, so I'm having a real hard time committing to this, but how can I not!?!?

Dude I have every original release, most of the homebrews, a few hacks, several versions of multicarts and I still can't pass this up! I even still have the first usb programmable cart that was sold by Ronen Habot. You could only load one game at a time but it was the shit at the time. At this point I'm starting to look at it like I'm just collecting multicarts much like I do games period.

Hell I'm actually going to but BOTH the 5200 SD cart AND the Coleco SD cart (yes I already have the usb version as well)because they're just your basic "gotta haves".

What great times we live in.

Ya think? If you're a 5200 fan it sure is. I only wish there were more love for the 5200 with the homebrew scene!

My only worry is that classics is already working on the "next cool thing", and in six months from now something will be available that'll make the SD Cart old news...like an SD cart with an onboard auto-conversion program so you can load any .bas, .cas, .atr, or .xex and play it on your 5200.

I'll be on board to buy that when it happens too! :P

• Like 1

Everything is well-made and lasts like it should (remember the old Sean Kelly dipswitch carts? I'd bet $$ that a good half of them wound up going bad, and (AFAIK) he's no

My old Sean Kelly multicart still works. My Atarimax USB multicart still works.

Have ordered the Atarimax SD multicart and look forward to finally playing BBSB on the 5200. Back in the day, I chose to buy BBSB for the Atari 8 bit rather than the 5200. Could not concieve back then that 20 years latter that would be a mistake. BBSB is the only 5200 cart I do not have (and I refuse to pay the going ebay rate.)

Thank you Steve for making these. Whatever you charge is probably not enough for the work and time you put into it. Again, thank you.

Bob

Edited by rayik
  • Like 1

BBSB is the only 5200 cart I do not have (and I refuse to pay the going ebay rate.)

I hear ya. Mine cost (only $130 shipped at the time, and it was only because I had some "found" money did I even spend that much. Pretty much if a game is over $100 I don't even consider it. Most of the rarest games suck and tbh I but them to play them, not to sit on a shelf. BB is a good game, but no way worth what they're going for now.

I hinted at it before, but its pretty much settled at this point that the 5200 SD multi-cart will come with ALL of the 5200 conversions I've done previously, which is a pretty long list. This includes the ones that were only released on the rom multi-cart or as separate carts such as Demon Attack.

Is this 100% for certain Steve?

Yep, I'll be releasing all of them. :)

Steve

• Like 2

I ordered mine! (and a Coleco s/d cart too!)

Awesome, thanks for the support. :-)

Same here. I just got my CV cart in and mine CV don't want to work anymore ARGGGG

Try Yurkie in the Colecovision forum, he can resurrect it and make it like new again at the same time.

Steve

Same here. I just got my CV cart in and mine CV don't want to work anymore ARGGGG

Try Yurkie in the Colecovision forum, he can resurrect it and make it like new again at the same time.

Steve

Testify brutha!

Yurkie fixed mine and a/v modded it. Works great and gave me a great deal!

Steve

Testify brutha!

Yurkie fixed mine and a/v modded it. Works great and gave me a great deal!

Yeah I sent it to him and pimped it out. My CPU was bad. Wow not easy to find a guy that can replace a CPU on CV and have the parts!

Order a couple of weeks ago and recieved an email from Google checkout. Is that the only confirming email that will be recieved? I assume there will be an email advising when it is mailed.

Confirmations should all be sent out, if you didn't get one drop me a PM so I can make sure I have your pre-order here. :-)

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Order a couple of weeks ago and recieved an email from Google checkout. Is that the only confirming email that will be recieved? I assume there will be an email advising when it is mailed.

Confirmations should all be sent out, if you didn't get one drop me a PM so I can make sure I have your pre-order here. :-)

Thanks

Steve

Recieved confirming email today. Thank you.

Yeah, no complaints here. As an owner of BBSB (at a cost of nearly $600 in the big box) I'm looking forward to playing it without disturbing it.

Woah, seriously? Is that shrinkwrapped and mint?

Steve

No, its supposedly one of the two known copies of the big box with both BBSB and Miner 2049er. That's how Atari2600.com billed it when I bought it. Not sure how many were actually made in reality.

AX

I have the double-cartridge BBSB/Miner 2049'er new, unused and pristine in the big box, so there must be more than 2? This was Jeff Konyu's (from Big 5) personal copy. I also have the single BBSB also in mint shape, both are the big boxes, was there any other size box? :?:

I love Classic's stuff and I have the Ultimate SD for the Colecovision. For the 5200, I have both the 128-in-1 Flash Multicart and the 128-in-1 set Multicart with the games that he is now releasing. Is there any reason for me to get the 5200 Ultimate SD? I'd upgrade if there was an advantage? Take care.

I love Classic's stuff and I have the Ultimate SD for the Colecovision. For the 5200, I have both the 128-in-1 Flash Multicart and the 128-in-1 set Multicart with the games that he is now releasing. Is there any reason for me to get the 5200 Ultimate SD? I'd upgrade if there was an advantage? Take care.

If you read through the thread you'd see comparison has already been posted, here it is again I think you can figure out the rest with your versions:

http://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documentation/chapter2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Also just put in an order.

Really looking forward to this. Got my 5200 out of the attic and played some Frogger II and Star Raiders last weekend.

I've never played any conversions so I'm especially excited to try out a slew of new 5200 games. Shamus Case II looks like good challenging fun!