IGNORED

Noob questions on CV programming

Mr.Smiley

Hi,

since I wanted to learn how to program for the Colecovision but have no idea where to start I'd like to know which language the CV uses? Whats the best start, buy a book of C or BASIC programming for dummies and read/learn it? I should also mention since I am out of university my programming skills nearly dropped to 0.

So forgive me my noob questions, some help would be great :)

since I wanted to learn how to program for the Colecovision but have no idea where to start I'd like to know which language the CV uses?

The Coleco is Z80 based.

Whats the best start, buy a book of C or BASIC programming for dummies and read/learn it?

Neither book will help you directly. Writing games for a constrained system like the CV is a different challenge. You might find it easier to target the PC and use a high level language of your choice. Once you get your idea going on the PC think about adapting it for the CV.

Some people use SDCC for the CV. A version of BASIC is being worked on. However, I'm not sure when it'll be released.

For CV programming tutorials/information look here :-

http://www.colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/tutorial0.shtml

http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/165539-newcolecos-devkit/

Thanks for your help, going through the tutorials/infos first!

Glad to help. I'm not a CV fan myself. I'm an Atari 7800 and Intellivision guy. Good luck with your projects. Feel free to ask questions in the programming forums.

Since the CV is based on the Z80, is it useful to read some infos/books on how to program for the Z80 or is it a waste of time?

If you need to optimise parts of your game for speed then you'll need to learn assembler. If you can get going with the "C" library and compiler system for the CV you can probably avoid Z80 assembler for a while.

You should start using the newcoleco's devkit.

(read comment on this video , there are some link how to download it).

I made my first game for coleco (Ghost'n Zombie) using this kit and documentation made by newcoleco.

I'm still using that kit , but i created some additionnal personnal tools for my purpose.

• 3 months later...

What is the lastest "lib" for Coleco for use with SDCC?

Where can I get more useful reading about the coleco hw?

Yes I know that looking at the "lib" used with SDCC I can get info too.

But it's not the best of the ways because z88k under Master System use I end up fixing some stuff over the crt0.

I have got a pdf about the TI vdp and the z80 asm is universal stuff.

What I wonder is the internal ram banks and stuff like that!

(sorry my English but not my native lang) xD

(sorry my English but not my native lang) xD

Your english is fine... don't worry about it. Only one or two might like to point out mistakes, but otherwise people here understand that we are not all native americans. In fact, I think the majority of the ColecoVision homebrewers don't speak english as their first language. If you want to speak (type) in french, go ahead... we are some programmers that can help you getting started.

• 1 month later...

Whats the best start, buy a book of C or BASIC programming for dummies and read/learn it?

Neither book will help you directly. Writing games for a constrained system like the CV is a different challenge. You might find it easier to target the PC and use a high level language of your choice. Once you get your idea going on the PC think about adapting it for the CV.

While C programmibng for a constrained system like the CV is somewhat different than writing C code for other systems, one should learn C nevertheless. I suppose there's some books on C programming for embedded systems out there as well, and many embedded systems share the memory / speed constraints of the CV.

Thus I'd recommend: Get a book on C programming, get some C programming experience, then look at the CV programming tutorials. From then onwards one can proceed by writing some small applications / games whatever, to improve one's skills and knowledge of both C and the CV.

Philipp