IGNORED

Atari 2600 games that angered you to no end

Skylark68

• 3 weeks later...
To this day I wonder what the programming staff was doing when they came up with Earthworld!

I would've thought the Swordquest idea came from Marketing, but turns out I was wrong! I guess there's nothing wrong with the core idea, really -- it's the execution: there's just no game there.

There is a gaming article on that page.. Video Games Magazine Article, Aug 1983 page 14. It mentions Atari making a deal with MB to do voice activated games?

Anyone have any info on that? Seems rather ambitious.. especially for that time period.

Barnstorming. So frustrating to get past those geese and towers and improve your times. Every time I think I'll do it this time, I hit something. ARGH!

LOL, yeh... them damn birds! I also have a bit of trouble on this one... I finally got better at it though, took practice and memorizing.

• 6 months later...

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I tried to beat it as a kid for months. Only recently did I figure out that I had been beating it all along. I did not realize that when you got back to the title screen, that WAS beating it. So much wasted time...

that is the saddest gaming story i ever heard.

i'm serious a game you didn't even know you won...crazy

I can relate to this story too.....on Mountain King you only have 1:30 time to make it from the bottom level to the top level (31 levels total) and reach the flame at the top once you take the golden crown from the bottom tomb. All these Bats are trying to steal your crown along the way (they are very tough to avoid) and several times I made it within one second or 2 inches of screen....then that quick screen flash would go off...I thought I was "short" again. Nope, I finally found out later that meant you beat the game and the action continues right from there!! No music, No pause in the game, No nothing....what a let down after hours of mastering the jumping controls on that little guy and studying the escape route carefully...and that's the reward? That jump in 9000 bonus points is how I finally figured it out.

• 6 years later...

Miner 2049'er - both of them

Yep. Hate all of the above. icon_lol.gif

Over the years the game has been sped up and tonight both were given sprite hacks to look more like the Atari 800 version so, see if you hate it a bit less. :P

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216412-miner2049er-faster/?do=findComment&comment=4094286

post-4709-0-91213100-1534656355.pngpost-4709-0-40904100-1534656344.png

• Like 1

There's something about the programming of VCS games that stops me getting angry at them. I might find them hard, or be disappointed at losing, but without fail the collision detection on the Atari is absolutely perfect. I can never dispute that I did, in fact, hit that thing which should be avoided, or miss that thing I was trying to collect. The mechanics are always fair, no matter how sloppy the game design.

On more complicated systems, hitboxes and distance detection and other routines mean that I'm often deeply dubious that I actually failed to land a platform or dodge a missile. You eventually learn to accommodate these inaccuracies - but there's always denial, anger and grief before you reach that state of acceptance.

Thus only VCS games that are deceptive in other ways make me angry. An example is Chuck Norris Superkicks, where you are tasked with rescuing "a famous leader" from the monastery in which ninja hold them (thirty years ago saving a politician may have been seen as a worthy task). The final ninja bosses start blinking after you defeat the first three, and stay hidden for longer each time you defeat three more. There's a rescue to pull off right? Surely there's a limit!

But then you get good enough that you defeat three ninja even when they are only appearing for a single frame. And nothing changes. There is no possibility of victory. That's when you go back and read the manual and realise that an ending wasn't even planned. The manual is replete with weasel words from start to end, suggesting the possibility of an end while deeply, cynically aware that it ain't gonna happen. No matter what you do, "The game ends when time expires," and so does my patience, replaced by a Chuckworthy vein-popping rage.

I was young at the time, but it was Adventure... those damn dragons just kept coming all the time no matter where I seemed to go, so I never got anywhere in that game, and it just ended up goingto the bottom of the pile.

I wish I still had that original cartridge I had, I would love to have it now!!

Interesting thread!

1. 3D Tic-Tac-Toe - screw that damn game. I have never beaten the computer ONCE and I've tried. I'm a broken man now because of it.

2. Reactor - this game made no sense then and it makes no sense now

3. Kangaroo - when all I had was the CX40 joystick as a kid, it was angering to miss those diagonal jumps - still one of my favorite 2600 titles though

Edited by glazball