IGNORED

Tempest for ColecoVision?

SlowCoder

Looked them both up. Gyruss is like a cross between Tempest and Galaga. I'll have to pick up a copy.

I watched a video of Beamrider and about fell over. I instantly recognized it, the intro, the music, and the game itself. The memory came back like a bullet. This specific Coleco version. Only thing I can think of is that I must have owned it 25 years ago when my ADAM was hooked up. So obviously I'll have to get it too. :)

Maybe with a Atari 5200 version coming out, someone will be inspired to do a homebrew of Tempest for the ColecoVision.

In fact, over the year I started working on converting Tempest graphics for the Colecovision

No programming has been done yet, but I made this rom to give me an idea of what it will look like on a real CV system

Enjoy! (non-playable though)

Tempest CV.bin

Maybe with a Atari 5200 version coming out, someone will be inspired to do a homebrew of Tempest for the ColecoVision.

In fact, over the year I started working on converting Tempest graphics for the Colecovision

No programming has been done yet, but I made this rom to give me an idea of what it will look like on a real CV system

Enjoy! (non-playable though)

Yeah, I bounced around the idea to you awhile back. Any plans on getting it programmed?

Even if someone made a CV Tempest homebrew, what controller are you going to play it with? I mean there is no analog paddle-type controller available, and the stock CV controller just won't cut it.

Right, good point

I think the ideal solution would be to make a CV adapter that would let you use Atari paddle controller, ... not sure if it can be done though... :ponder:

Even if someone made a CV Tempest homebrew, what controller are you going to play it with? I mean there is no analog paddle-type controller available, and the stock CV controller just won't cut it.

Left and right for clockwise and counter-clockwise movement wouldn't be too bad. Roller controller left and right would probably be a little better. Steering wheel components along with an arcade spinner would be ideal, but a homebrew would have to work with a stock controller to be practical.

It's been a while since I've seen a Tempest cabinet, but I thought I remembered it having a roller ball to rotate around the field. Wouldn't that make the roller controller the proper candidate to operate the game with?

It's a spinning knob kind of like an atari paddle the goes around in both directions without stops. It's optical like the steering wheel that's why I said an arcade spinner and parts from the wheel. Might even be able to mod an arcade spinner to work on it's own.

This was one of my favorite games at the arcades back in the 80's

• 2 weeks later...

Right, good point

I think the ideal solution would be to make a CV adapter that would let you use Atari paddle controller, ... not sure if it can be done though... :ponder:

What about Coleco's Roller Controller? Roll left, roll right...and however fast you need.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
7 hours ago, digress said:

vector style graphics are hard to animate on a colecovision. 

It could be a hybrid where the lanes are inanimate, as in the graphic, and the sprites are solid.

If you look at the 5200 version, they "get creative" a bit with the web-crawlers, which are more like solid red bow-ties. But you have to look closely to notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that doubledown is back maybe he can run with my 2010 ideal of taking an Arcade spinner and a roller controller or steering wheel and making a controller for a tempest game. I bet CollectorVision would release the game if there was a kick ass controller to play it with.

• Like 1