IGNORED

Recommend some NES games

Gabriel

It's kind of funny. I've had a top loader for over 15 years. I've had a FC Twin for a couple of years too. Yet, for some reason acquiring an oddly pristine toaster has made me want to buy some more NES games. It probably didn't hurt that shortly after I got the toaster, I accidentally happened upon a Contra cart. I had been looking for that cart for ages, and it just dropped out of the blue. If someone had told me back in the late 80s that I'd ever have a problem finding a Contra cart, I would have thought they were crazy.

Anyway, I generally don't like the NES era of games. There are a few exeptions. I like Castlevania. I like Contra. I even like the NES port of Ultima. However, I just don't care for the games everyone normally spooges themselves talking about. I never cared for Mario, Mega-man, Metroid, Metal Gear, etc.

So, toss out some names of good games that normally never get mentioned.

What exactly are your tastes when it comes to this era of games? Anything goes? I'm a little confused because you like Castlevania and Contra, but don't enjoy Mega Man, Mario, etc. etc. I'm not really sure what to throw you in this case. :lol:

I'm just going to toss out a few mostly well-known games (or games that are well-known now because they've hit cult-classic status, whereas maybe in the '90s they weren't so well-known): Ninja Gaiden series, VICE Project Doom (Ninja Gaiden clone with more types of gameplay segments), Journey to Silius, Wizards & Warriors, Batman, Isolated Warrior (isometric shmup).

Oh boy, NES, I...

However, I just don't care for the games everyone normally spooges themselves talking about. I never cared for Mario, Mega-man, Metroid, Metal Gear, etc.

=(

Some more obscure games that I think are good

Batman (amazing music)

Blaster Master

Star Tropics (I & II)

Adventure Island Trilogy (guessing you don't like Mario style platformers much? this series may be a pass for you)

Bionic Commando

Lifeforce

Crystalis

Captain Skyhawk

Snake, Rattle, N' Roll

R.C. Pro AM

I tend to go for old-man type games. The kind you normally see on 8/16-bit computers of the era. NES actually got quite a lot of these, but my top 3 are:

M.U.L.E. -There are many ports of this game, but I like the NES version the best.

Pirates! -Adventure on the high seas. You know the drill by now.

Wall Street Kid -Play the stock market, and buy yourself that castle.

Others in the genre include: Maniac Mansion, Archon, Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Shadowgate, Tombs & Treasure, Desert Commander, and a whole bunch more.

Edited by Reaperman

Can't go wrong with these:

Arkanoid, with Vaus controller of course

Rolling Thunder

Faxanadu

A Boy and His Blob

Karnov

Gradius

Gauntlet, especially with the Fourscore and four players at once

Xenophobe is excellent with two players at once

SMB2, the most overlooked game of that series

Rygar

Legendary Wings

Rad Racer, with 3D glasses

Gabriel, are you convinced yet?

Well, I've certainly gotten some suggestions I'll be on the lookout for.

Vice: Project Doom is one I've never heard of before, but looks extremely slick. The plot seems straight out of an 80s B movie. I also like that the guy has a real sword instead of the dinky short ranged daggers or punchy shit which seemed so common in the other games of this type.

Mighty Final Fight is one I haven't heard of in years, and those years give it a new fringe benefit. When it was new it was impossible to see it as anything other than another lame NES arcade mutiliation. Now, nearly 20 years later, it's easier to see it as it's own little spin off thing.

Captain Skyhawk is one I see everywhere, but no one ever seems to say anything about. I guess I might as well check it out. It's not like it's ever expensive.

Cobra Triangle is another one I've never seen mentioned at all before now, but which looks pretty neat.

Jackal is a game I keep meaning to try out, but which I can never remember the name of to look for it.

This thread reminded me of a few others which I dimly remember from back in the day. They didn't knock my socks off back then, but they have some nostalgia value now. The Last Starfighter, Spy Vs Spy (used to play this on the C64 all the time), and Karnov.

But convince me? What am I supposed to be convinced of?

Captain Skyhawk is a weakness of mine though that may largely be from nostalgia as I played it lot as a kid. I think its a competent top-down shooter though the controls are a bit slippery and it is easy to die. It incorporates an altitude system that can take some adjusting to get used to and your ship is really big which makes it an easy target for this style of game.

Its big problem is that there are other shooters that are much better but if you're a fan of the genre it is a decent game with an interesting graphical style. The number of enemies on screen never gets very high so it is relatively easy compared to similar shooters once you get used to how the game handles. By no means is it an A-List game but its not bad.