IGNORED

Atari Portfolio

lastkill3r

Hi! I just bought Atari Portfolio with a 128k ramdisk and i've got questions about it.

1. Was it worth buying? (100 PLN, so it's like 33.3$)

2. How to transfer games from PC to Portfolio?

3. Were there games sold on actual cart/ramdisk/whatever it's called?

4. Just found scheme for joystick where to buy parts for it?

And "męska" translates to "male".

5. Do you love it? :D

I have wanted one a cookie for a long time now ever since seeing John Connor use one Cookie Monster in Terminator 2 Sesame street :cool:

fixed that for you :D ;)

Yeah, I too.

I must get this program that John programmed... with this guy on the video help xD :

Where to ger portfolio with such a price? Search here! (But i don't see it at the time...)

Edited by lastkill3r

Yeah, i know this site. But how the hell to transfer them to portfolio?

1: Yes, good deal, make sure the ribbon cable between screen and machine is intact.

2:You need an old PC, best a 486 or early Pentium, and this:

atariPortfolio4.jpg

They pop up on UK/German ebay quite often.

or the ARLink Transfer Cable w/software

3: Games on Port

Get this game for Port, it is an excellent version of Chess

atariPortfolio3.jpg

4: dunno

5: Yes, love it to bits, still using mine nowadays, batteries last almost 2 weeks in USAGE, overall it's an excellent little British made computer,

also get a DIP PocketPC if you can find one, they are a bit better quality.

AtariPortfolio1.jpg

Edited by high voltage

Ok, thanks for answers. So i need to buy old PC to use my portable PC good? Sad. But i will buy this link-thingy and we see what do we got here.

Ok, i'll buy the chess!

Hello there!

As lastkill3r already mentioned ... PC Card Drive is the fastest solution for transfer data. Only thing You need is a PC with a free IDE slot + MS-DOS + Portfolio memory cards. I use an ABIT KT-7a mainboard, which is designed for early Athlon processors and has one IDE slot. MS-DOS 6 on partition 1 and WIN2k on partition 2. So this PC can be used for other things than only messing around with data transfer for the portfolio and oldschool stuff. I tried FT.COM + parallel interface + cable and it works well but data transfer is very slow.

You are from Poland and many polish people are familiar with the German language so I'd recommend You following website:

http://www.pofowiki.de

That's what's left over from the former Portfolio Club Germany. They got lotsa hard- & software reviews on their wiki and some how-to-dos.

The other great portfolio dedicated site has already been mentioned above by The_Laird.

... and about Your question #5: Yes ... still using the portfolio very often.

Best wishes,

pastglory

• 1 month later...
Hi again! Just found this on ebay. Will it work with Parallel interface for PoFo?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3203868487441?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

It won't work with the parallel interface, but if you have the serial interface, you can use an adapter like this and a 9-pin F-F null modem cable to transfer data to/from the PC (I use a similar setup with my Tandy 102).

If you have the parallel interface, you can transfer data using an ordinary DB25 M-M cable between the parallel ports on the Portfolio and the PC. The Portfolio's built-in main menu has a file transfer option, and you'll also need to run a file transfer utility on the PC side. I've attached a copy of the utility, which will need to be run in DOS.

I used to have a Portfolio, and I agree that it's a cool little portable. I was primarily interested in using it for note-taking, and I used it for that purpose for several years, but I found that its small keyboard and other limitations were too frustrating, so I eventually "traded it in" for my Tandy 102.

In addition to the file transfer utility, I also found my old copy of PowerBASIC, in case anyone's interested in programming for the Portfolio.

FT.zip

PB.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...