IGNORED

Lord of the Dungeon Release by CollectorVision

retroillucid

So how different are these carts from standard Coleco carts? The battery backup must be interesting to implement.

Here's a pic of the "old" LotD PCB and one for the "new" LotD PCB

You can obviously notice that these are really different from each other

So the battery is in the housing on the new carts? Or do the new carts use a new type of battery? The new cart insides look like they'll fill the cart! That's amazing.

Thanks for sharing J-F!

So how different are these carts from standard Coleco carts? The battery backup must be interesting to implement.

So the battery is in the housing on the new carts? Or do the new carts use a new type of battery? The new cart insides look like they'll fill the cart! That's amazing.

Thanks for sharing J-F!

Doesn't happen to recharge off the 5V from the cart slot somehow does it?

Thanks for sharing J-F!

I'll let 5-11under anwser that one :)

Thanks for sharing J-F!

I'll let 5-11under anwser that one :)

The battery inside the RAM (memory) chip is a lithium cell, and should last about 15-20 years. It doesn't get recharged from the cart slot. However, when the game is on, the battery isn't in use. Conceivably, you could keep the game on, and not drain the battery. Practically, though, the battery will drain itself over that 15-20 years whether the game is on or off. That's what batteries do. Fortunately lithium cells are very good at holding their charge over long periods of time. Also, with the battery integrated into the chip, there's not much you can do (or not much I could have done during assembly) to cut the battery life short. The bad news is that if the chip/battery needs replacing in 15 years, it's a $6 to $12 replacement instead of $0.50 to $2 if the battery was separate. Of course whether the battery is separate or inside the RAM chip, you'd have to take out the screws underneath the label to open the case. Maybe when Retroillucid is teaching his oldest child to drive a car, he'll start selling replacement labels. This was the best option for price, and still have the battery included as it was originally planned. The WaferCart project (http://www.colecovision.dk/coll-cv-wafercart.htm) will use different technology in its game-save data (although I'm still trying to troubleshoot that... ).

Perhaps we'll have someone produce a 'strategy guide' for this game! Full maps and lots of hints and tips.. just like in the 80's!

19 left? And it's only been available less than a week! Way to go!

As for the battery... Lithium Ion batteries eh? 15 years is perfect! Nothing to worry about for a long time....

I meant to ask about the map... Is that a map to the whole game?

No, this is a partial map of the 1st level

I only made it partial, cause in the manual that's what is stated

Fascinating. So this is a fairly large game then, especially for a console at the time. Great!

I meant to ask about the map... Is that a map to the whole game?

No, this is a partial map of the 1st level

I only made it partial, cause in the manual that's what is stated

Fascinating. So this is a fairly large game then, especially for a console at the time. Great!

Yeah, that's a fairly large game for its time

I always "hate" RPG games, (at least, if you're not considering Legend of Zelda as a RPG game)

I must admit that I like LotD... That's a great game, having a manual and overlay really help to enjoy that game :) ... yep really!

• 2 weeks later...

So, uh ... Am I correct that this game will not work with the Ultimate SD, due to the special hardware requirements?

It should work perfect including saves according to the Steve, the maker of the SD multi-cart.