IGNORED

Identify the overlays?

oldjd

Ok,its probably easy,but I have several sets of these overlays

And I cannot identify which games they go to.Most of the ones I have, are marked on the side in small print,but for whatever reason these are not

Would appreciate any help

Look at the pictures and educate me

Thanks

Ok,its probably easy,but I have several sets of these overlays

And I cannot identify which games they go to.Most of the ones I have, are marked on the side in small print,but for whatever reason these are not

Would appreciate any help

Look at the pictures and educate me

Thanks

Starting at the top and moving to the right and then down:

- Fortune Builder

- WarRoom

- Cabbage Patch Kids - Picture Show

- Smurf Paint'n Play Workshop

- Dr. Seuss Fix-Up the Mix-Up Puzzler

- WarGames

- Mouse Trap

- Spy Hunter

Thanks.....but the last one you said were Spyhunter,I have a set for the S.A Joystick that are marked as Spyhunter

Are there 2 different sets for the same game?

Spy hunter comes with a set of Super Action Controller overlays and a set of overlays for the standard controllers.

Thanks.....but the last one you said were Spyhunter,I have a set for the S.A Joystick that are marked as Spyhunter

Spy hunter comes with a set of Super Action Controller overlays and a set of overlays for the standard controllers.

Thank you Todd!!!!

why on earth would the sa controllers have overlays? I mean, the sa controller does have 4 firing buttons so it doesnt need the overlays!

why on earth would the sa controllers have overlays? I mean, the sa controller does have 4 firing buttons so it doesnt need the overlays!

There is also a small keypad on top of the Super Action Controllers, which some games have overlays for.

It still nice to have the overlay to see what function each of the four fire-buttons perform, plus a game like Super Action Football uses every button on the SAC (as well as the stick and roller wheel) so the overlay does help to remember what each one is for.

It still nice to have the overlay to see what function each of the four fire-buttons perform, plus a game like Super Action Football uses every button on the SAC (as well as the stick and roller wheel) so the overlay does help to remember what each one is for.

its overkill, with spyhunter. the whole purpose of the sa controller was to be a better controller than the standard. why be reminded of the basic controller?

Edited by CARTRIDGE STEALER

True, but I'm sure there were a lot people that didn't own/buy the Super Action Controllers for whatever reason (that I can't imagine as I really like them) and had to use the standard hand controller.

I hate SACs. Think of it this way though. If you make a game and allow the standard controllers to be used, you would increase sales. People already have the standard controllers. Make them buy a set of special controllers and they may not buy the game.

True, but I'm sure there were a lot people that didn't own/buy the Super Action Controllers for whatever reason (that I can't imagine as I really like them) and had to use the standard hand controller.

but having overlays for the SA controller is overkill. why bother when you have the firing buttons at your fingertips on the sa controller?

but having overlays for the SA controller is overkill. why bother when you have the firing buttons at your fingertips on the sa controller?

Play Super Action Baseball and you'll understand.

Better yet, play Super Action Football (the US football) and he'll understand and then there's the playbook!

Actually, SA Baseball wasn't that bad after playing a few games. My dad even got the hang of that one and he never played videogames before or after that one.

Totally agree with this statement

I remember when the Coleco first came out.My younger brother jumped into it with both feet

He bought everything that was available,including a few months later and Adam

Anyway he had the baseball game,and up until this point,my expierience with baseball games had been limited to "Home run" on the Atari 2600

When he started the game up and handed me the S.A Joystick,I was speechless.This was fantastic.And without those overlays,I would probably be still trying to figure out how to play the game

Shortly after,I went and got my own Coleco,where I promptly got hooked on Mr.Do...no overlays needed

Better yet, play Super Action Football (the US football) and he'll understand and then there's the playbook!

Actually, SA Baseball wasn't that bad after playing a few games. My dad even got the hang of that one and he never played videogames before or after that one.

im not talking about baseball or football, im talking about spy hunter. spy hunter has overlays for the standard contrller and sa controller and the lays for the sa are overkill because you are supposed to upgrade when using the sa contoller, meaning using all 4 firing buttons at your fingertips.

im not talking about baseball or football, im talking about spy hunter. spy hunter has overlays for the standard contrller and sa controller and the lays for the sa are overkill because you are supposed to upgrade when using the sa contoller, meaning using all 4 firing buttons at your fingertips.

Oh, okay then, sorry. :) For that particular game, I guess you have a point. I think Coleco included an S.A. overlay with Spy Hunter for marketing reasons mostly. And you know how marketing can follow its own logic:

- If the game is compatible with the Super Action Controllers, then we should underline that fact by including some Super Action overlays.

- That game doesn't really need overlays. The game just lets the player use the extra two colored buttons.

- But how will the player know that he can use a Super Action Controller if there's no overlay?

- He can just read that information on the front and/or the back of the box.

- What if the box gets thrown away?

- Then the player can read about it in the manual.

- Really now, you know people don't read manuals... Besides, overlays only cost pennies to print.

- OKAY THEN! INCLUDE THE F**ING OVERLAY! SEE IF I CARE!!

- See, now you're getting it. Want to come work with us in the marketing department?

- No thanks, I think I'll try to hold on to my remaining brain cells.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 2

Oh, okay then, sorry. :) For that particular game, I guess you have a point. I think Coleco included an S.A. overlay with Spy Hunter for marketing reasons mostly. And you know how marketing can follow its own logic:

- If the game is compatible with the Super Action Controllers, then we should underline that fact by including some Super Action overlays.

- That game doesn't really need overlays. The game just lets the player use the extra two colored buttons.

- But how will the player know that he can use a Super Action Controller if there's no overlay?

- Really now, you know people don't read manuals... Besides, overlays only cost pennies to print.

- See, now you're getting it. Want to come work with us in the marketing department?

:rolling:

We need to PIN this reply and save it for the ages :!: :D

We need to PIN this reply and save it for the ages :!: :D

ok, while were on the topic of sa controllers, someone said that frontline, using the standard contoller, could be playing using the keypad for the right arm and grenade/jump. I got frontline b4 i got the sa contrller and I played it at least a 100 times and the keypad never worked. can someone verify that it actually did?

Best reply ever!!!

Pixelboy I think you must have been possessed by my marketing guy in my company. He has definitely cost me extra hours of programming for his stupid reasoning.

I have to tell you though you may think you don't need the overlay because you should remember the buttons but I know I was always glancing down when playing rocky trying to remember which button to push and that overlay was nice to have.

@Cartridge Stealer: I'm kinda confused on where you think the overlay shouldn't be included for the Super action controllers.... Unless I missed something scanning the thread.

The overlay is to let you know what EACH of the 4 buttons does-- each controls a specific weapon, just like the buttons/keypad on the standard overlay keypad. I always found it much easier to use finger buttons on the Super Action Controllers on Spy Hunter than to let go of the joystick so I could punch a number in mid game with the standard controller. Part of the reason why I'm a SA Controller fan. (And it may have something to do with the way I hold the standard controller too-- in my left hand with my thumb on the left button and index finger on the right button while pinching the contoller disc between my right thumb and index finger). Matter of fact, (and this jsut occured to me!) I'd love to see someone (Are you listening Daniel?!?! lol) update Mouse Trap to map to the 4 SA buttons. :)

It was the same way with both Star Trek and Front Line-- the overlay was just the key to the buttons, and the keypad had no special function (outside of normal game select and pause). However on these games, I don't believe either were mapped to work with a standard controller's keypad to replace the extra button functionality.

@Yurkie: I see your point about sales slowing for need of a special controller, but I think this was the beginning of the the idea to make the software drive hardware sales. If you wanted to play sports games, you needed the SA controller. If you wanted to play Star Trek, you needed the SA controller. Spy Hunter was late enough in the life cycle that they probably came around to your way of thinking with the multi controller compatibility to try and save the slumping sales. But that's just an assumption on my part. Had Spy Hunter come out 6-12 months earlier, I'm thinking it would have been a SA exclusive game. (Didn't Sega use a similar formula for the SMS and the sports controller?)

Pixelboy I think you must have been possessed by my marketing guy in my company. He has definitely cost me extra hours of programming for his stupid reasoning.

LOL!! :lol: I work for a company so immersed in crazy politics that this kind of "marketing reasoning" is not only upheld by company management, it's basically understood by all employees as a philosophical understatement. :P

I have to tell you though you may think you don't need the overlay because you should remember the buttons but I know I was always glancing down when playing rocky trying to remember which button to push and that overlay was nice to have.

I was never a fan of the Super Action Controller myself. I was already used to the standard controllers by the time the SAC was released, and aside from Rocky and FrontLine, I always play CV games with the stock controllers.