IGNORED

Identify the overlays?

oldjd

Matter of fact, (and this jsut occured to me!) I'd love to see someone (Are you listening Daniel?!?! lol) update Mouse Trap to map to the 4 SA buttons. :)

I think I could connect the 4 SAC fire buttons to the corresponding keypad buttons pretty easily. I thought of it before, but since I don't like the SAC I never attempted it.

@Cartridge Stealer: I'm kinda confused on where you think the overlay shouldn't be included for the Super action controllers.... Unless I missed something scanning the thread.

The overlay is to let you know what EACH of the 4 buttons does-- each controls a specific weapon, just like the buttons/keypad on the standard overlay keypad. I always found it much easier to use finger buttons on the Super Action Controllers on Spy Hunter than to let go of the joystick so I could punch a number in mid game with the standard controller. Part of the reason why I'm a SA Controller fan. (And it may have something to do with the way I hold the standard controller too-- in my left hand with my thumb on the left button and index finger on the right button while pinching the contoller disc between my right thumb and index finger). Matter of fact, (and this jsut occured to me!) I'd love to see someone (Are you listening Daniel?!?! lol) update Mouse Trap to map to the 4 SA buttons. :)

It was the same way with both Star Trek and Front Line-- the overlay was just the key to the buttons, and the keypad had no special function (outside of normal game select and pause). However on these games, I don't believe either were mapped to work with a standard controller's keypad to replace the extra button functionality.

@Yurkie: I see your point about sales slowing for need of a special controller, but I think this was the beginning of the the idea to make the software drive hardware sales. If you wanted to play sports games, you needed the SA controller. If you wanted to play Star Trek, you needed the SA controller. Spy Hunter was late enough in the life cycle that they probably came around to your way of thinking with the multi controller compatibility to try and save the slumping sales. But that's just an assumption on my part. Had Spy Hunter come out 6-12 months earlier, I'm thinking it would have been a SA exclusive game. (Didn't Sega use a similar formula for the SMS and the sports controller?)

games that have overlays for the "sa" controller and standard which functions do the same thing as the other is liking having breasts on a bull. im not talking about games that require both to play a game ie: baseball, football but games like spy hunter where the upgrade is better. you have all the firing buttons at your fingers with the 4 firing buttons. why waste time with the keypad?

again, I am talking about games such as spy hunter that come with BOTH overlays.

games that have overlays for the "sa" controller and standard which functions do the same thing as the other is liking having breasts on a bull. im not talking about games that require both to play a game ie: baseball, football but games like spy hunter where the upgrade is better. you have all the firing buttons at your fingers with the 4 firing buttons. why waste time with the keypad?

again, I am talking about games such as spy hunter that come with BOTH overlays.

Yeah, but then they (Coleco) would be cutting into their possible sales on a game such as Spy Hunter. If Coleco sold 6 million systems as has been reported, but say only 2 million sets of Super Action Controllers, then by not making the game compatible with the Hand Controllers they would have in effect cut their possible sales of Spy Hunter by 2/3rds.

I brought this subject up previously with someone else, basically stating that all of their special controller games (Driving Module, SAC and Roller Controller) should have been made with the option to use the standard hand controllers as well. They could have still released Turbo, Super Action Baseball and Slither with the special controller to drive sales of the special controllers and then at a later time just released the game by itself to garner more sales from work that was already done.

Thankfully, through the efforts of Daniel Bienvenu we now have hacked versions of Slither, Turbo, Destructor and Victory that will work with the standard hand controller as well as the original versions that require the special controller.

Yeah, but then they (Coleco) would be cutting into their possible sales on a game such as Spy Hunter. If Coleco sold 6 million systems as has been reported, but say only 2 million sets of Super Action Controllers, then by not making the game compatible with the Hand Controllers they would have in effect cut their possible sales of Spy Hunter by 2/3rds.

I brought this subject up previously with someone else, basically stating that all of their special controller games (Driving Module, SAC and Roller Controller) should have been made with the option to use the standard hand controllers as well. They could have still released Turbo, Super Action Baseball and Slither with the special controller to drive sales of the special controllers and then at a later time just released the game by itself to garner more sales from work that was already done.

Thankfully, through the efforts of Daniel Bienvenu we now have hacked versions of Slither, Turbo, Destructor and Victory that will work with the standard hand controller as well as the original versions that require the special controller.

I said this back in post #11

I said this back in post #11

Great mind think alike, either that or my plagurism skills I developed in high school have subconsciously kicked in again! :D

God forbid I can remember what I did 5 minutes ago, now you want me to remember what you said last week!

Edited by NIAD

Cartridge Stealer: I'm beginning to think you haven't seen the overlay. :) The overlay does go on the number pad area, but none of number pad buttons are marked/used (except pause). It's just a guide to tell you which colored SA button fires which weapon. It's not so you can use the number pad to do the same functions.

Cartridge Stealer: I'm beginning to think you haven't seen the overlay. :) The overlay does go on the number pad area, but none of number pad buttons are marked/used (except pause). It's just a guide to tell you which colored SA button fires which weapon. It's not so you can use the number pad to do the same functions.

Ive seen it: I own them as well. I just think its overkill. why not do it with the other games like wargames?

Ive seen it: I own them as well. I just think its overkill. why not do it with the other games like wargames?

The question is: "Why did Coleco created the Super Action Controller?"

I mean, those controller sucks, the stick on the top of the controller is nice, but they should have created an Arcade Quality Controller .... yep simply an arcade controller with colored buttons and maybe a spinner included

THAT would have been so nice!

I mean, those controller sucks, the stick on the top of the controller is nice, but they should have created an Arcade Quality Controller .... yep simply an arcade controller with colored buttons and maybe a spinner included

Very good point! But then, where would that leave you and your controller project :?:

Very good point! But then, where would that leave you and your controller project :?:

The project is still in very good progress, as the PCB as been already made (thanks to 5-11under) and I also finished the arcade control panel overlay :)

So, when everything will be set, the arcade controller will be available for purchase