IGNORED

128-in-1 USB vs. Ultimate SD

Bartsfam

Hello;

I see alot of the 128 in 1 USB's for sale. I imagine people are selling them to upgrade to the Ulitimate SD.

I have neither, and was thinking of buying a used USB cart, or just paying full price for the SD cart.

What exactly are the differences? Saved games? Is the SD faster? More stable? Is the USB cart capable of showing the game box? Or, a sample game screen?

Or, in other words, why is everyone upgrading?

Can I really go wrong buying the used USB cart?

Hello;

I see alot of the 128 in 1 USB's for sale. I imagine people are selling them to upgrade to the Ulitimate SD.

I have neither, and was thinking of buying a used USB cart, or just paying full price for the SD cart.

What exactly are the differences? Saved games? Is the SD faster? More stable? Is the USB cart capable of showing the game box? Or, a sample game screen?

Or, in other words, why is everyone upgrading?

Can I really go wrong buying the used USB cart?

The 128-1 only allows you to load 127 roms that are 32k and smaller, slot 128 is a test rom.

The SD allows you to add as many roms as will fit on the SD cart, manuals, screenshots/box art and play Mega-cart roms and the is also save the game Lord of the Dungeon just like the original cart. It will also be possible to upgrade the software to play new bank switching schemes that may be developed for homebrew carts. Plus you don't have to use windows and a USB cable to add roms, just pop the SD card in a computer that can read/write FAT file format.

There is nothing wrong with the 128-1 it is a fantastic product, the SD is just a huge upgrade.

Yurkie is dead on once again. :) Keep in mind, to my knowledge all of the original ColecoVision commercial library and a good 90% of the homebrew titles all seem to work just fine with the 128-in-1. So if money's tight, and bells and whistles aren't on your must-have list, the 128-in-1 is a great value still! :)

LOL Crazy Climber-- ColecoVision is OLD and obsolete. :) You're telling us nothing new!

:)

Thats the exact thing I thought after I posted it, figured I would leave it though since someone would get a kick out of it :D

Did you ever get a ColecoVision Crazy Climber?

LOL Crazy Climber-- ColecoVision is OLD and obsolete. :) You're telling us nothing new!

Thats the exact thing I thought after I posted it, figured I would leave it though since someone would get a kick out of it :D

Around 3 or 4 years ago I bought a nice A/V modded one so I could play Spectar, Astro and Terra (all AWESOME games, I'm sure you know that though) When I was laid off I panicked and sold a lot of things cheap that I probably shouldn't have, my Coleco set up being one of them. I picked up an Opcode games PacMan as a pure impulse buy at the MGC last year and then a copy of Ghostblaster online shortly after. I started to get really interested again in the Coleco homebrew scene. Especially the Opcode games and an ultimate SD card. I had a vision in my head of a nice modded Coleco hooked up to a 1702 monitor, a smaller but content selection of boxed homebrews that I really enjoyed playing, an ultimate SD card to participate in the HSC and try out new homebrew releases...oh and of course a spot reserved for the Super Game module with Donkey Kong and Rally-X. At this same time the opcode bomb dropped and my entire vision was lost. Turned in to a lot of Drama and kind of turned me off from the scene, what ever became of that whole mess? I just kind of walked away after that...

Around 3 or 4 years ago I bought a nice A/V modded one so I could play Spectar, Astro and Terra (all AWESOME games, I'm sure you know that though) When I was laid off I panicked and sold a lot of things cheap that I probably shouldn't have, my Coleco set up being one of them. I picked up an Opcode games PacMan as a pure impulse buy at the MGC last year and then a copy of Ghostblaster online shortly after. I started to get really interested again in the Coleco homebrew scene. Especially the Opcode games and an ultimate SD card. I had a vision in my head of a nice modded Coleco hooked up to a 1702 monitor, a smaller but content selection of boxed homebrews that I really enjoyed playing, an ultimate SD card to participate in the HSC and try out new homebrew releases...oh and of course a spot reserved for the Super Game module with Donkey Kong and Rally-X. At this same time the opcode bomb dropped and my entire vision was lost. Turned in to a lot of Drama and kind of turned me off from the scene, what ever became of that whole mess? I just kind of walked away after that...

I would worry too much about the Opcode drama. He is working out of his website. There are plenty other people doing excellent homebrews. Pixelboy, retroillucid, newcoleco, youki and others.

I would get an A/V modded console and an SD and start having fun. I'll be happy to help if you need any repairs/mods or if you have any questions.

• 2 months later...

I know this is my old thread, but I was just getting ready to purchase the SD card version when I realized that my current PC does not have a SD card input!!!

So, I can't use this right?

Or, can I access the card through my digital camera and and download the ROMS that way?

Or, should I stick to the USB version, until I upgrade my PC?

I know this is my old thread, but I was just getting ready to purchase the SD card version when I realized that my current PC does not have a SD card input!!!

Or, can I access the card through my digital camera and and download the ROMS that way?

Likely you could do it that way but really for convenience and sanity sake I would suggest simply adding an SD card reader, you could get a very basic one that simply plugs into a USB slot OR something with more features that plugs into a USB header on your motherboard. Having some type of SD card reader really is convenient, going through SD card devices using USB is slow and a round about way of doing things. Make sure whatever you get is SDHC compatible to. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sdhc+card+reader&x=0&y=0

I think I saw an Atarimax SD on the marketplace just a couple of days ago. Might want to start there.

• 3 weeks later...