IGNORED

Help with seller SpaceDice2010/retrogamingdepot

megasdkirby

I meant the other post to be a topic on it's own, but I accidentally posted it as a regular post. I deeply apologize.

Hello to everyone here on Atari Age.

My name is Josh and although I don't post as often in Atari Age, I desperately need your help.

On Ebay my ID is "littlemanboy". I recently won "retrogamingdepot"'s (a.k.a. SpaceDice2010) Colecovision 15 game lot auction. I was really happy as I've been searching for a few of those games for some time, as well as eying it out for some time, thanks to the AA link.

In the morning, when I was about to pay, he sends me a "cancellation" request because, as he states "The seller sold the item to another buyer.". This infuriated me, because he was supposed to honor his transaction and not sell to an outside party, as per Ebay rules. I denied/refused his cancellation and sent payment anyway, with a little note about my address, since I live in PR.

A note about Puerto Rico: many sellers incorrectly think PR is international when it isn't. I don't know why this is, but PR uses the same methods as in the US, as well as the same pricing. It's all EXACTLY the same! A letter is 44 cents...Priority shipping rates via domestic are the same...it's the same 100%! It's not international...no need for extra fees, etc. So there really is no issue. In fact, my zip code is 00956, and using a Large Flat Rate Priority Mail box:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?m=6&p=5&o=0&dz=00956&oz=14008&pob=0&MailingDate=12/14/2010&MailingTime=8:00%20AM

As stated in the link, PR is calculated as "Domestic Shipping", and rates are the same as in the US...for a Large Priority Mail box, the cost is just that: $14.50!

Why am I stating this? Because yesterday I received a message from the seller, SpaceDice2010/retrogamingdepot) stating that he was apprehensive in shipping to PR because it was not part of the US...that he almost always had issues sending items here, which I found very odd. This is the exact message sent to me from the seller/AA member:

"Hi. The main problem that I have with this transaction is that I only ship to the lower 48 states. I was asked to put Canada as an option and I did very reluctantly. I do not ship to APO/FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico. Almost every item that I have shipped there has been an issue. Even this transaction is wrong as Ebay's shipping calculator never gives anywhere near the correct shipping amount.

There is no way that I can complete this transaction as from past experience I have only had problems shipping outside the 48 states."

First thing that irks me is the "48 States" portion, which I talked about above. The second thing that makes me wonder is this: if he was willing to ship to Europe at cost, why not PR? He states that he has had "an issue" with every package sent to PR, which I put in doubt. In this case, I am willing to work with him 100%, even sending MORE money to cover extra costs (I paid for expedited shipping, which was nearly $20, yet I am willing to send MORE for USPS Insurance and Signature Confirmation). I am willing to help out any way I can, he is a bit paranoid about PR, overgeneralizing from his supposed "past experiences". If this is true, I totally understand, but that does not mean every transaction is going to end up in trouble, as many who know me, here and on Digital Press, know.

Here is the message I sent as my reply:

"Hi. I totally understand, however there is no need to worry as PR is a US territory and shipping is exactly the same as that as in the US. In fact, if you like, I can send you an extra amount for USPS Insurance AND Signature Confirmation as an added layer of protection. It's a classic misconception that many sellers think PR is international when it isn't because it'a categorized as a US territory. In fact, the games can be sent via USPS Large Flat Rate Priority Mail (which is the nearly $20 for "Expedited" for around $15, and I am offering to send a few bucks more for USPS Insurance and Signature Confirmation, even though the $5 that are left over should cover it. With me, that's dandy and perfectly ok, as I am willing to make sure everything turns out perfect. There is no neeed to worry, and I understand that you are scared, but don't worry, as I am here to help out any way I can. Any questions, feel free to contact me. Thanks and take care! -Josh"

As of now, I've yet to receive a response from the seller, SpaceDice2010/retrogamingdepot.

SpaceDice2010, I am not a bad person. I am here to help out 100% in any way, shape or form. I understand that if you did have issues in the past with non CONUS members, that you shouldn't generalize that every transaction will turn out bad. In this case, it's turning out the wrong way because of your paranoia, as I am willing to do anything to help out. I even offered sending more for USPS Insurance/Signature Confirmation, even though shipping in a Large Flat Rate box will be less than $15, leaving around $5 extra from the original nearly $20 sent for expedited shipping. Shipping amount is more than enough, yet I'm willing to send more, atleast $4 for the services stated previously.

SpaceDice2010, as a fellow AA member and video game collector, help me.

Fellow AA members, what recourse do I have in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, from the bottom of my heart,

Josh

If someone doesn't want to ship there, if they refund your money, you should have no serious complaint. And if it's stated in the auction, don't look for an exception, don't leave negative or neutral feedback, just follow the seller's policy. I am a glutton for punishment and I keep shipping to places that I have issues with. Greece is a constant problem. I still try, but there is even less recourse internationally. You may be pissed since you live in PR, but that is a limitation you may have to accept. I have no problem shipping there, but I can understand why someone else might.

ianoid, it wasn't stated in the auction. Not once did the seller state CONUS or anything similar. In fact, the Ebay shipping calculator reflected shipping for PR without issues.

Yet if PR was an issue, why send to Europe? It's still outside CONUS. Makes no sense unless...well, I will keep my theories to myself to see how this transpires.

There is no way that I can complete this transaction as from past experience I have only had problems shipping outside the 48 states."[/b][/i]

He states that he has had "an issue" with every package sent to PR, which I put in doubt.

How is it that he has only had problems shipping outside 48 states and I have probably sent 100 packages overseas and never, ever had a problem. And how many packages has he sent to PR, for chrissakes?!? If the exclusion of PR (or AK and Hawaii) is not listed in the auction, he should have sold you the item.

On most of my auctions, I ship internationally, but excluding a few areas. On some auctions, based on the item, I list stating US only and international buyers must contact me before bidding. Of course some will still bid on the item and if they are the winner, I have to make a decision on what to do. Is the final bid price a factor in my decision? You bet it is!!!

So what exactly is the truth here? Did SpaceDice actually sell the items to somebody else or does he simply not want to deal with shipping to Puerto Rico?

In any event, at least you're not out any money Josh. Yeah, it sucks that SpaceDice either pulled the items or is scared to do business with you - but he'll either change his mind and come through or... to avoid disappointment in the future, just remember that seller retrogamingdepot doesn't like to deal with Puerto Ricans. icon_rolling.gif

Seriously though - Puerto Rico *IS* very much like a U.S. state when it comes to many things, but especially USPS transit costs. I too have never had any problems whatsoever. Italy now, that's a different story icon_wink.gif

Edited by save2600

If a seller doesn't want to sell you something, for whatever reason, it's their prerogative. I would be pissed, but I would probably just move on. I got a neutral feedback for selling something that I'd already sold. I refunded the money immediately and told them the situation. They lost nothing, it all happened within a day and I don't think even a neutral is justified. I think that if a seller says they don't want to sell you something, you should just move on. No need to make it into a soap opera. I think it's sort of lame not to send to PR, but then again someone else might think it's lame for me not to ship to Africa.

Edited by ianoid

If a seller doesn't want to sell you something, for whatever reason, it's their prerogative. I would be pissed, but I would probably just move on. I got a neutral feedback for selling something that I'd already sold. I refunded the money immediately and told them the situation. They lost nothing, it all happened within a day and I don't think even a neutral is justified. I think that if a seller says they don't want to sell you something, you should just move on. No need to make it into a soap opera. I think it's sort of lame not to send to PR, but then again someone else might think it's lame for me not to ship to Africa.

Actually, it's not their prerogative. Under the laws of most states and Puerto Rico as a matter of fact, a winning bid on Ebay would be a binding contract and you could sue the seller for breach. Of course, this is such a small amount of damages that even small claims would be a waste, but don't think for a second that this is like some retail situation where you have a sign out front telling people you have the right to refuse service to anyone. If you list something on Ebay and someone meeting your bidding conditions wins (i.e. you say you ship worldwide or to the entire US without exclusions) and you as the seller refuse to sell to them because you did a side deal with someone else, you are not only in violation of Ebay policies, but you have breached a binding sales contract. As far as I'm concerned, if you refuse to honor a sale, you should not only get a negative, but have your account suspended. The fact that you as a well respected seller in this community are telling us that you do this and it's not a big deal is really disturbing.

Interesting how you've turned the focus to me. Everyone makes mistakes. eBay's feature set is limited and it is very easy to accidentally relist something that you already sold.

Laws or policies aside, if someone doesn't want to sell you something, it really helps nobody to make an ordeal out of it. If you paid someone and you are owed money, that's another story. If someone backs down on a deal, are you going to their house to shake them down? Are you calling your lawyer for your item? Are you notifying eBay about it? You probably are not doing any of those things, regardless of whether or not they are your right. And if their reasoning is not entirely deceitful, is a negative feedback really merited? That's just plain spite on the side of the buyer. I don't have these types of issues, if I list something and it sells, then I'm pleased. If I sold something too cheaply, well, I've bought stuff too cheaply too. It all comes out in the wash. I don't back down on transactions if I can avoid it.

Problems happen in the best of hands. I don't believe we should rake someone over the coals for whatever reason that they decide not to sell someone something. Since I'm not close to the seller, I can't tell you if his reason is truthful or what. And there is hardly any point debating it. He's backing down on the sale, so you're not getting the item. Cry foul all you want, unless we're dealing with a large dollar amount, eBay transactions are transactions of good will. Yes, you will reply with the rules and requirements, but obviously those don't stop the bad eggs from screwing people.

It would be nice if people did what they were supposed to do in every instance, but that's just not being realistic. It's not always POSSIBLE to do what we're supposed to. In this instance, the seller screwed up in not marking that he doesn't ship to PR. But is that reason to have him figuratively drawn and quartered?

I'm highly sympathetic to sellers on eBay. eBay is not a seller friendly environment. And shipping abroad is almost always at the risk of the seller, especially with the broken feedback system. International buyers want to spend their strong currency in the US, but they never want to pay for EMS tracking and shipping, which is prohibitively expensive. So we ship by airmail. If an item is lost, who gets the negative feedback and their money refunded? And is there any way to actually determine if something was delivered internationally? There is no way to confirm that without EMS. International transactions are even more so a transaction of goodwill. The seller takes all the risk.

Edited by ianoid

"In the morning, when I was about to pay, he sends me a "cancellation" request because, as he states "The seller sold the item to another buyer.". This infuriated me, because he was supposed to honor his transaction and not sell to an outside party, as per Ebay rules. I denied/refused his cancellation and sent payment anyway, with a little note about my address, since I live in PR. "

He probably shouldn't have marked it as 'sold to another buyer'. There are other choices, and if he did this, it's a stupid thing- you shouldn't let an auction end that you sold to someone else. You can cancel all bids and end the auction still. Now he's stuck with excuses and confusion. PR may not even be the true issue. Still, I would just walk the other way if there has been no money paid. There will be other Colecovision games.

Interesting how you've turned the focus to me. Everyone makes mistakes. eBay's feature set is limited and it is very easy to accidentally relist something that you already sold.

Laws or policies aside, if someone doesn't want to sell you something, it really helps nobody to make an ordeal out of it. If you paid someone and you are owed money, that's another story. If someone backs down on a deal, are you going to their house to shake them down? Are you calling your lawyer for your item? Are you notifying eBay about it? You probably are not doing any of those things, regardless of whether or not they are your right. And if their reasoning is not entirely deceitful, is a negative feedback really merited? That's just plain spite on the side of the buyer. I don't have these types of issues, if I list something and it sells, then I'm pleased. If I sold something too cheaply, well, I've bought stuff too cheaply too. It all comes out in the wash. I don't back down on transactions if I can avoid it.

Problems happen in the best of hands. I don't believe we should rake someone over the coals for whatever reason that they decide not to sell someone something. Since I'm not close to the seller, I can't tell you if his reason is truthful or what. And there is hardly any point debating it. He's backing down on the sale, so you're not getting the item. Cry foul all you want, unless we're dealing with a large dollar amount, eBay transactions are transactions of good will. Yes, you will reply with the rules and requirements, but obviously those don't stop the bad eggs from screwing people.

It would be nice if people did what they were supposed to do in every instance, but that's just not being realistic. It's not always POSSIBLE to do what we're supposed to. In this instance, the seller screwed up in not marking that he doesn't ship to PR. But is that reason to have him figuratively drawn and quartered?

I'm highly sympathetic to sellers on eBay. eBay is not a seller friendly environment. And shipping abroad is almost always at the risk of the seller, especially with the broken feedback system. International buyers want to spend their strong currency in the US, but they never want to pay for EMS tracking and shipping, which is prohibitively expensive. So we ship by airmail. If an item is lost, who gets the negative feedback and their money refunded? And is there any way to actually determine if something was delivered internationally? There is no way to confirm that without EMS. International transactions are even more so a transaction of goodwill. The seller takes all the risk.

I understand your argument, but I think it's just plain wrong and sadly consistent with a lot of your other pro-seller/anti-rational buyer arguments on Ebay including the ridiculous argument that the buyer needs to leave you feedback first. Unless there was a legitimate mistake (i.e. you had the item, listed it and didn't realize your spouse or kids had already given it away or sold it or the item was literally stolen), there is no reason the seller should be able to simply walk away from the sale. I agree with you that the buyer's options are very limited and ultimately, he will be forced to walk away. Having said that, as a community we can condemn this seller and refuse to buy from him, especially given that the seller lied about the reason for cancelling the sale and then made all sorts of claims about not wanting to ship despite the buyer offering more protections than any other buyer I have ever seen. If he doesn't want to take the risk of shipping internationally, that's fine, but that's a decision which has to be made when the item is listed, not after the fact.

I am not sympathetic to sellers on Ebay. They circumvent a lot of the hoops most retailers and small business owners have to go through in the rest of the marketplace (seller's permits, state and local taxes, accurately reporting income for tax purposes, paying employees, rent, utilities, advertising, etc...) and often use the relative cloak of the Internet to avoid taking responsibility for lying about the condition of goods, actual shipping costs, etc... I have been buying and selling on Ebay for over a decade now and only had a small handful of problems and believe me, Ebay and Paypal do not always favor the buyer and I have lost money on a few transactions with dishonest sellers. Ultimately, as collectors and gamers, we should be on the side of the buyer. Sellers have the ability to take good care of themselves.

Laws or policies aside, if someone doesn't want to sell you something, it really helps nobody to make an ordeal out of it.

I remember I sold an arcade game and when it came time to deliver...I just couldn't let it go. I had more of an attachment to it then I thought. Yes, I sold it too cheap and yes I had an "ebay contract" but I didn't give a shit, it was my game and I wanted to keep it so I did. I refunded the buyers money, explained the situation and although he was a little pissed, he understood. We became arcade collector friends after that and have done numerous sales/trades with each other and when it came time to finally sell my game, he got it. That is a good example of a situation that could have been blown up in to a huge deal but didn't. I had no other reason for keeping it other than I wanted it which is a total violation of Ebay but sometimes you have to just accept that people change there minds and make mistakes, life will be a LOT easier for you if you just shrug this kind of stuff off. I have done it more times than I can count. Do you have any idea how many cheap BIN I have talked old ladies in to that never followed through, just kidding but seriously here, it's just a video game man, no need to blow it up into this, let it go...

I am NOT falling through on the sale. What are you talking about? I had a conversation with you about the shipping and per your request I am sending it in a large flat rate Priority Mail box. The unfortunate thing is that for two days in a row I have gone to the post office and BOTH days they are out of the boxes. I stood in the damn line for 30 minutes after not seeing them out front and was told by the worker, "if they are not there then we don't have them". Now. I recently sold my 32x here on Atari Age and am going to ship it with that. I am having both that and your games shipped tomorrow via priority mail. Yours wont come in a flat rate box, instead I am going to take the hit on shipping.

On another note, I do apologize for not communicating with you better, but I have been sick as a dog, which is the reason that I stopped listing new stuff on Atari Age.

My question to you would be - after you sent me the communication about the Flat Rate box and what to do about the address, did I say no? No, I did not say no. As I said, I have scheduled a home pickup tomorrow of both your games and another shipment. After this I have every shipment all shipped that I am going to ship for the holidays.

I have shipped packages to Puerto Rico several times and have never had a problem.

..Al

I have shipped to PR with both problems and non problems. The only problems that I have had is how the adresses get printed on the labels. You really have to verify with the buyer the address. It is a real confusing address system in some cases. And Ebay's shipping calculator is NEVER correct.

I am NOT falling through on the sale. What are you talking about? I had a conversation with you about the shipping and per your request I am sending it in a large flat rate Priority Mail box. The unfortunate thing is that for two days in a row I have gone to the post office and BOTH days they are out of the boxes. I stood in the damn line for 30 minutes after not seeing them out front and was told by the worker, "if they are not there then we don't have them". Now. I recently sold my 32x here on Atari Age and am going to ship it with that. I am having both that and your games shipped tomorrow via priority mail. Yours wont come in a flat rate box, instead I am going to take the hit on shipping.

On another note, I do apologize for not communicating with you better, but I have been sick as a dog, which is the reason that I stopped listing new stuff on Atari Age.

My question to you would be - after you sent me the communication about the Flat Rate box and what to do about the address, did I say no? No, I did not say no. As I said, I have scheduled a home pickup tomorrow of both your games and another shipment. After this I have every shipment all shipped that I am going to ship for the holidays.

Thanks SpaceDice! :)

I assumed since I did not hear from you after sending the last message, that you weren't interested in sending the items (your last message felt as though you did not want to ship the items).

I'm glad everything is ok! :)

As in the previous message, if you need a little bit extra cash, feel free to let me know. I'm more than happy to send a few bucks over your way. :)

From the bottom of my heart, THANKS! ^_^

• Like 1

I am going to answer this here as I am a straight forward guy and have nothing to hide. The games are sitting by me as I write this and are going out tomorrow. Not because of this thread, but because I had someone on here come through with payment for the 32x that I sold and need to ship that out as well. Now, they are not going on in a flat rate large box to actually make the shipping in line with Ebay's calculator (which is never correct to PR, Alaska, or Hawaii). As stated above the past two days I have tried to get a damn large flat rate box at the post office. If anyone lives in NYC you probably know what a challenge it is to walk into one of the post offices here and actually get something done in under an hour. The one nearest to me doesn't have the damn things. So, they are going out in a regular box at ore than what Ebay charged.

Now, regarding my Ebay shipping policies. I don't know where it was said that I ship to Europe. As I normally don't. I had one person ask me in the thread that I posted it on if I would. I told him for him I would. Why don't I like to ship to Europe? Two reasons -

1. I spend close to an hour in the line at the post office dealing with the custom form.

2. ANY negative that I have gotten had to do with shipping. I have NEVER gotten a negative from anyone that I have ever sold ANYTHING to in the US. Not one time.

3. Almost anything that I have ever sent to Italy has gotten lost in the past. Seriously. The final blow for me making a decision to not send to outside North America came when I got in a pissing match with the winner who insisted that I put it as a gift and lie about the value. (Anyone that has bought from me knows that I don't want anyone to send me PayPal "gifts" as I like to print the label from PayPal and have the items listed to protect the buyer.) Any refunds that were dinged from my account has always been outside the US as I can never find a way that protects me under Pay Pal's seller program, short of using UPS or FedEx at a real high rate.

Regarding Alaska and Hawaii. I swear the post office has ponies that swim across the river to deliver the package. Plus the calculated shipping rate is NEVER correct from what I can tell/

Regarding PR - I have had mixed results sending there. The main issue is how the addressed are. If the buyer doesn't contact or you contact them to verify the correct way to print the address, there can be a problem. I have printed the address before EXACTLY as it was in PayPal and it was returned to me. Plus the rate that Ebay charges is NEVER correct from my experiences. The one item in the past that got returned to me cost me more to ship than the total cost that the winner paid to me for the item + shipping. But, I still sent it under the rate that was sent and paid by the buyer only to get it returned as the address was not correct, even though it was directly from PayPal.

To me personally, I prefer to ship only to the 48 states. I know I get less for my sale overall, but I can deal with that. Dealing with custom forms as a post office in NYC is not fun at all. And not having adequate proof of delivery has come back to bite me in the past. If a member of Atari Age asks if I will ship outside the US then most likely I will do it with hesitation. If it's someone that I don't know then I just wont do it.

As I said, I apologize for the lack of communication. I am not feeling well and was still on a box hunt. But, on the other hand, you could have communicated to me as well. Like I said, they are sitting next to me right now. Once again, I am going to the post office and see if they have the large flat rate boxes. If they don't then I will ship it tomorrow with the 32x that someone bought from me on here.

I have shipped packages to Puerto Rico several times and have never had a problem.

..Al

I have shipped to PR with both problems and non problems. The only problems that I have had is how the adresses get printed on the labels. You really have to verify with the buyer the address. It is a real confusing address system in some cases. And Ebay's shipping calculator is NEVER correct.

Oh yes, I have this issue too. Found out it's because of how USPS sets it's address. It omits the "urbanization" part, even though it should not and it's required by USPS. Yet for some reason, when I send items (I'm the sender), it adds the Urbanization without issues.

I tried placing it on the second line and together with the first line...it always omits that portion (in my case, it's "Santa Juanita"). I even opted to print it next to my name, but by doing this my address becomes "unconfirmed" for some reason, probably due to my credit card on file (which just has my name).

This is why I always send a message through Ebay about adding the "Santa Juanita" part next to the other part of the address on whatever I buy. It's a hassle and I hope one day Paypal/USPS fixes this by letting the "urbanization" go through.

Oh, and I hope you get better soon. I was ill for a few weeks thanks to the flu + bronchitis...no fun. You will be better in no time! :)

Edited by megasdkirby

Thanks SpaceDice! :)

I assumed since I did not hear from you after sending the last message, that you weren't interested in sending the items (your last message felt as though you did not want to ship the items).

I'm glad everything is ok! :)

As in the previous message, if you need a little bit extra cash, feel free to let me know. I'm more than happy to send a few bucks over your way. :)

From the bottom of my heart, THANKS! ^_^

It's all good. Even if it costs me more to ship than what I charged, I don't need to extra cash to cover it. The message below isn't so much about you as just my reasoning behind why I prefer to ship only to the 48 states. I was writing it as you wrote this message.

Once again I apologize for lack of communication. The past two days I have been waking up, doing a little work and pretty much going back to bed.

Anyone that has bought something from me here knows that I am a very fair seller. I don't even ask someone to do the "gift" thing when they buy from me.

Italy now, that's a different story icon_wink.gif

It is interesting that you say that. EVERY transaction I have had with Italy has gone bad. Is their postal system totally whacked? Granted it was less than a handful of transactions. But every one I got and sent all got a refund by Ebay/PayPal.

Seriously. This is why I don't like to send to Europe. Does anyone here know of a way to send to Europe and still be covered by PayPal protection as a seller? I know UPS and FedEx you can do it and be covered, but it's damn expensive. I believe if you do Express via USPS you are covered.

megasdkirby,

Not to feel like I am rambling. But, to fill out the box that I am sending you and make it a little more easy to make sure the games arrive in a good condition, I am adding the 8 games that I tried to sell in my thread here as well. They didn't sell. So, you are also getting some extra games for free. PICS.

Lloyd.

• Like 1