IGNORED

How many of us have real A8 Machines?

José Pereira

Some A8 Statistics  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Real A8 Machines

• I have at lest one one
    • I have more than one (state how many...)
    • I do not have any
    • I intend to buy one (Model?)
    • I will sell mine (please don
  2. 2. New Cartridge Large Size Games

• I will buy if they are original Games
    • I will buy if they are ports of Arcade Games
    • I will buy if they are all type of new Games
    • I will not buy, just want to have free Emulator downloads
    • I will not buy, just want free files to run on my real Machine
  3. 3. I will pay for new Cart Games

4. 4. How much money would I pay for each one of this new Large Games (only if you click on Options 1or3 of the previous question)

• less than $49,95
    • $49,95
    • $59,95
    • $69,95
    • Any price if the Game is the one(s) I always wanted to see on A8
    • Depends if I first saw and like the Gfxs./Playing of the Game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi, guys I want that you all could answer to this questions.

Interesting to see some statistic and interest from all around here...

P.s.- In the last question, please say what are the Game(s) you would pay (and how much) to see on A8, if you want, if not just say their Names (the most important).

Thanks to all and your attention.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Hi to all, again.

Rybags the question of paying for New Games are not for commercial intentions.

It's just to know if, with the now large size carts we could get some large Arcade conversions into A8...

P.s.- I will wait untill my the end of my next Birthday ;) to see the results.

I hope everyone here/all A8 users answer this Poll...

If, probably AtariAge is the biggest and all A8 users gets into here (even Eastern Europe and all places of the world) it would be interesting to see how many active exist today, as there aren't probably a way to Atariage gets this from the Members List/Profile.

I also try to post this link in other Atari 8bit Web places (and you can also do this some publicity, if you want :) )

Thanks to all.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

2- 1200XL both Modified

3- 600XL one upgraded

3- 800 [The tank]

3- 800XL one upgraded

1- 800XE Stock

2- 130XE one upgraded

1- XEGS MyIDE internal for games with PICODOS 4.04 Three (3) partitions loaded.

I only keep three available for daily use, the others are stored.

Games mostly play oldtime favorites.

I've got a lot of cartridges, but only for play, not a collector.

Hmm, how many Atari 8 bit machines do I have ? More than 10 less than 30. How many do I use regularly? Probably 2, my 64Kb 600XL with a Stereo / RAM 320XL and a 130XE which has a VBXE install ongoing. I have another 130XE arriving soon which will be dedicated to my MIO setup since at the moment I have some stability issues with it and am intending to do some timing fixes to a stock machine.

I like to buy new releases on cart / disk whatever medium as I like to support the developers and I'm excited to see new products for the Atari. The price I'd pay is directly related to the quality of the package. I have no problems paying for the GR8 releases for example since the production values are so high. I do think it's important to offer ROMs for folks who can't or don't want to pay for physical media. I really don't subscribe to the argument that if you offer a free to download version it will hurt sales of the physical package. I think folks who are liable to pay for a new release will still pay if the quality of the release is good enough. We've got to be talking about pretty small volumes anyway so I can't imagine anyone making a fortune out of this market.

The availability of 1 Meg cartridges or carts with extra RAM isn't really the issue.

Doing a game from scratch is a huge project. Even a "simple port" from source code or binary from another system can be over 30 hours work.

And, just because a few people might like a particular game that's not in the catalog doesn't mean someone's going to jump in and do a version of it.

I selected this:

• (1) I have more than one (state how many...)

• (2) I will not buy, just want free files to run on my real Machine

• (3) Depends of the Game

• (4) Depends if I first saw and like the Gfxs./Playing of the Game

I've got 5 A8 machines (includes one A2600)

To explain my voting:

If a new game gets released, I'd first like to have a free tryout, or at least a "stripped tryout version". This explains my vote on question (2). Then I could decide whether I'd be interested in buying one. So, that explains my vote on question (3). Now (2) and (3) are linked by my vote on question (4).

Of course if there's a really good game, I'd like to pay for it to really have it on a (separate) cartridge. But, this still depends on how much money I have.

P.s.- In the last question, please say what are the Game(s) you would pay (and how much) to see on A8, if you want, if not just say their Names (the most important).

Greetings.

José Pereira.

I have at least the following :

1 Atari 400

2 Atari 800

2 Atari 800XL

2 Atari 130XE

2 Atari 1200

1 Atari 600XL

1 Atari 65XE

2 Atari XEGS

I do think there are a couple of them I have more of, but can not check because of mess :-/

And I am not sure, maybe I not read close enough, but what are the games you talk about? I buy new Atari software if they come available, but not at silly prices. Bought stuff like Hobgoblin, ISora/Loopz and Tempest and that Colony thingy. Is there any more released lately?

Take Atarian care

Greetings.

José Pereira.

I have at least the following :

1 Atari 400

2 Atari 800

2 Atari 800XL

2 Atari 130XE

2 Atari 1200

1 Atari 600XL

1 Atari 65XE

2 Atari XEGS

I do think there are a couple of them I have more of, but can not check because of mess :-/

And I am not sure, maybe I not read close enough, but what are the games you talk about? I buy new Atari software if they come available, but not at silly prices. Bought stuff like Hobgoblin, ISora/Loopz and Tempest and that Colony thingy. Is there any more released lately?

Take Atarian care

Hi, thanks for your answer.

This is in first place to try to get an almost exact number of A8 users active (with and without real Machines).

Second it's because of the recent large size carts and a large Game like Space Harrier...

And if there would be interest in the community of havnng more productions like this one...

Not saying that there would/will be lots of coders starting large Games...

Or probably if people's interest is high, who knows something(s) may come, who knows!...

Answer first and probably we will have a much brighter future for the A8 :) !...

José Pereira.

1 x 1200XL

1 X 600XL (VBXE2,simple stereo ultimate 1 meg ram etc etc)

1 X 800

3 x 800XL (320xl MOD, s-video etc)

2 X XEGS

1 x C64

1 X C128

(you did not specify which brand :P )

I would love to see Bubble Bobble ported, preferably with two fire button support

Anything that supports use of the VBXE

I buy games that I really like the look of in support of their authors. I used to collect all new releases, but then I bough madbodies for the Jag at $80 and hated this unplayable game (my opinion). Then I decided that I am a gamer not a collector!!

i have more than i could carry

whole xl line

assorted xe

how many i use regullary? 2 or 3, depending on what hardware i'm developing

i would like to see game before buying it, and nice graphics and musics is always preffered, but decision would be made based on game playability

original work would be favored over some remakes, especially if they were already existing on a8 - if these were arcade ports (especially from bigger systems - say sega, namco, williams, konami, etc) then i would treat them as original work

i have more than i could carry

whole xl line

assorted xe

how many i use regullary? 2 or 3, depending on what hardware i'm developing

i would like to see game before buying it, and nice graphics and musics is always preffered, but decision would be made based on game playability

original work would be favored over some remakes, especially if they were already existing on a8 - if these were arcade ports (especially from bigger systems - say sega, namco, williams, konami, etc) then i would treat them as original work

I like and agree with your thinking that Arcade Ports/Sega/Large Machines are considered new games.

Not C64 for this... I am converting something from Sega Master System and all the Levels are beeing re-done pixel by pixel.

I know exactly this is NEW GAMES, I know my work (lots of ;) ).

´José Pereira.

130XE - 3

800XL - 3

800XL - 1 (PAL)

400 - 1

800 - 1

XEGS - ordered

130XE - ordered 2 PAL

Not extremely likely to pay for a new game, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Example: Tempest Xtreem. I would have seriously considered buying this if it used a paddle controller (or how about Atari driving controller from 2600?). People are paying $100 for a modified Jaguar pad to play T2k with analog control, so it must be important. That's why I didn't buy; $10 for Tempest X3 and a PS mouse (Ebay) instead. So if you're thinking of selling an A8 game, if it was really good (as Tempest Xtreem appears to be) and supports wanted features (as Tempest Xtreem does not) then there may be a chance. But overall, I'd say the A8 community is too used to "free" gaming for it to be much of a market, eh? Pawn shop's full of $15 Playstations and $20 Gamecubes and $5-$10 games.

4x 800XL (One is the original I bought in 1984)

1x 130XE bought new in 1989 - left factory.

3x 65XE (with 130XE motherboards) all restored with also new keyboards from Best. I've had the parts to bring them all up to 320k for ages stored away just not got around to do them.

One has become my main machine now with everything socketed, ram changed and 320K mod done, VBXE2, 32-in-1 and sio2pc connected to a dedicated laptop. The 1050 was painted to match the XE.

I would love to see Bubble Bobble ported, preferably with two fire button support
I'm planning to get back onto the Bubble Bobble project when MM is completed. Edited by Tezz

Can't really vote in this poll for the reasons Drac030 pointed out. Moreover, it's rare that I'll ever download even a free game. If I do, it's only to study the technical achievement. I have no real interest in playing them.

Anyway:

1 x 130XE (stock)

3 x 65XE (128K upgrade, 320K upgrade, and 1MB upgrade/VBXE/IntSDX/Stereo/RTC)

2 x 800XL (1 x stock, 1 x 1MB/IntSDX)

1 x 600XL (64K upgrade)

1 x XEGS (128K upgrade)

1 x 1200XL (in transit, and my first NTSC Atari)

No prizes for guessing which is the machine I use daily. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

4x 800XL (One is the original I bought in 1984)

1x 130XE bought new in 1989 - left factory.

3x 65XE (with 130XE motherboards) all restored with also new keyboards from Best. I've had the parts to bring them all up to 320k for ages stored away just not got around to do them.

One has become my main machine now with everything socketed, ram changed and 320K mod done, VBXE2, 32-in-1 and sio2pc connected to a dedicated laptop. The 1050 was painted to match the XE.

I'm planning to get back onto the Bubble Bobble project when MM is completed.

Hi, Tezz, I was seeing that 2004 Thread about Bubble Bobble on the other week and it looks fanatstic.

Was thinking in send you P.M. asking for this...

Great.

Thanks.

José Pereira.

I own (1) 800XL and (3) XEGS's. I use to have a very large cart collection for the A8 but had to sell them. I kept my disk drive (with games of course) and my tape drive. I'm starting to tinker with basic programing and I use the tape drive for saving programs. Yes, I know the tape drive is slow, but it is much easier to find good tape than good 5-1/4" disks. Plus there is something about the simple idea of using a cassette tape that I like.