IGNORED

How many of us have real A8 Machines?

José Pereira

Some A8 Statistics  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Real A8 Machines

• I have at lest one one
    • I have more than one (state how many...)
    • I do not have any
    • I intend to buy one (Model?)
    • I will sell mine (please don
  2. 2. New Cartridge Large Size Games

• I will buy if they are original Games
    • I will buy if they are ports of Arcade Games
    • I will buy if they are all type of new Games
    • I will not buy, just want to have free Emulator downloads
    • I will not buy, just want free files to run on my real Machine
  3. 3. I will pay for new Cart Games

4. 4. How much money would I pay for each one of this new Large Games (only if you click on Options 1or3 of the previous question)

• less than $49,95
    • $49,95
    • $59,95
    • $69,95
    • Any price if the Game is the one(s) I always wanted to see on A8
    • Depends if I first saw and like the Gfxs./Playing of the Game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think the Atari 400 is the only real (released) A8 machine that I *don't* have.  From memory, here's what I've got:

2 x Atari 800 (both of which have been in the family for 30+ years)

2 x Atari 1200XL

3 x Atari 800XL

3 x Atari 600XL

2 x Atari 130XE

7 x Atari 65XE

5 x Atari XEGS

3 x Atari 5200 4-Port Consoles

... plus a bunch of spare motherboards and chips to keep everything working, and a 1088XEL kit that is waiting patiently to be built.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:35 AM, Tuxon86 said:

It lives side by side with a C64.

Was lucky and able to score a very nice C128 recently to go next to my 600XL.  However, I have no peripherals or software for the C128 yet!  :D  So, just playing around in BASIC so far!

32 minutes ago, nadir said:

Was lucky and able to score a very nice C128 recently to go next to my 600XL.  However, I have no peripherals or software for the C128 yet!  :D  So, just playing around in BASIC so far!

I also have a C128 but I prefer the bread bin video quality. Beside, 99% of the time the C128 is in C64 mode anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

My current A8 machines:

1 x 400

1 x 800

1 x 1200XL

1 x 600XL

2 x 800XL (1 x stock & 1 x with stereo (2x POKEY), 1MB RAM (but not U1MB), Sophia 2, 4xOS (modified RESET function)
2 x 65XE (almost ;-)) 1x65XE with ECI, 1x 65XE working motherboard (all chips socketed) I'm using it for various tests.. it may be upgraded to Liber809 (MC6809) someday...)

1 x 130XE

1 x XEGS
1 x 1088XEL (with stereo (2x POKEY), VBXE, and internal(!) AVGCART as storage option - OK, 1088XEL is in rather an "Atari compatible", not a classic A8 machine ?

39 minutes ago, UnDead said:

OK, 1088XEL is in rather an "Atari compatible", not a classic A8 machine ?

It still uses real Atari VLSI chips to do the work, so you can probably say it's partially a 'real' A8 ;)

My list...

2x 600XL   1x motherboard, and 1x complete system with UAV, 64K, built-in MIDI (soon to have U1MB)
6x 800XL   all complete without mods
1x 65XE    US model - RF Only, complete system without mods
1x 1200XL  UAV and TK-II-PBJ
2x XEGS    1x stock, 1x UAV, U1MB, TK-II-STEREO

Edited by mytek
I forgot to include my XEGS systems

On 4/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, Tuxon86 said:

I also have a C128 but I prefer the bread bin video quality. Beside, 99% of the time the C128 is in C64 mode anyway.

The problem with the C128 is it isn't fully C64 compatible, and when I say fully, I mean that a couple of very important features don't work correctly even in C64 mode (they don't work at all in 128 mode). Ultimax mode has problems and is flaky, making it difficult to allow the cartridge to take over the device and halt the CPU using the DMA line, and the ability to load external kernel ROM's is also hit and miss - What this means is that 1541 Ultimate II+ compatibility isn't guaranteed and some features may not work.

Like yourself I by far prefer the C64 breadbin. Connected to a 1084S via separately shielded svideo it's image quality is amazing. I actually wish I could find another P1 1084S in good condition for my 600XL (a 1081 with the dark grey 0.39mm dot pitch tube would be even better), LCD's get the job done, but I by far prefer the picture quality and retro experience of a CRT.