IGNORED

6 new Atari VCS/2600 game releases

8th lutz

@Jahfish

Can always make some cool tapes as soon as the roms are released/

absolutely ... be sure i will ... i even thought about doing a small run of those for other collectors that want a more authentic release and a more appealing design ... it would just be unfair to do it before the cartridges are sold, or at least a part of it.

@Jahfish

absolutely ... be sure i will ... i even thought about doing a small run of those for other collectors that want a more authentic release and a more appealing design ... it would just be unfair to do it before the cartridges are sold, or at least a part of it.

I'll do the boxes ;)

@Jahfish

I'll do the boxes ;)

Get the price under $100 for the set and I'll buy :D

AX

Ahem... :ponder:

Only 100 of each will ever be produced, and as each title is sold out, the ROM file for it will be released to the public with the condition it is not to be sold by anyone, in any form.

I assume that intention means not even for cost of materials, but if so, that should be spelled out clearer upon release of the ROM. With that said, I find it unlikely that edict will be followed, particularly for games that aren't technically created or owned by them. I would hope they get whatever investment back/satisfaction required from the actual sales of the items and leave it at that.

@Jahfish

I'll do the boxes ;)

And I will save some $$$....... :D

Ahem... :ponder:

Only 100 of each will ever be produced, and as each title is sold out, the ROM file for it will be released to the public with the condition it is not to be sold by anyone, in any form.

i have no boxes on my mind ... no carts ...

i'm planning to offer empty tapes and the tape cases with the inlays i would redesign ... unless it is really cheap to make copies of those soundfiles and that i get an ok to do so, i would leave it up to the others to copy the soundfiles on there.

i'm curious anyway ...

© 2010 videosoft

:ponder:

are the videosoft guys really involved in this? or is it just someone trying to get some cash back for the prototypes he bought?

since this hasn't been announced here, i suppose an ammount of 600 carts would probably have been produced by mr. H***r which is quite cheap. the videoboxes including the print are not expensive either. Those great stickers that albert uses will cost you about 1$ per cart. since there is only single carts, has there been any big programming work on these?

no pun intended, but i'm just still wondering about the high price

Edited by jahfish

I assume that intention means not even for cost of materials, but if so, that should be spelled out clearer upon release of the ROM. With that said, I find it unlikely that edict will be followed, particularly for games that aren't technically created or owned by them. I would hope they get whatever investment back/satisfaction required from the actual sales of the items and leave it at that.

i have no boxes on my mind ... no carts ...

i'm planning to offer empty tapes and the tape cases with the inlays i would redesign ... unless it is really cheap to make copies of those soundfiles and that i get an ok to do so, i would leave it up to the others to copy the soundfiles on there.

i'm curious anyway ...

Whatever...nobody has to justify anything to me. I'm just saying.

are the videosoft guys really involved in this? or is it just someone trying to get some cash back for the prototypes he bought?

Scott Stilphen is in contact with Jerry Lawson and the other VideoSoft people, so I suspect that's how he ended up with these. Beyond that, I have no idea how "involved" they are, if at all.

Is it just me, or is the link in the first post taking you to Google?

Yes, the original link is bad, but worse than that...I got some spyware crap by clicking on it, not Google. :roll:

The new link is here...

http://www.digitpress.com/library/videosoft/videosoft.htm

I think what he is trying to say is that he believes 6 separate carts is wasteful - why not put all theses games on one cartridge as a multi-cart... ???

There was a scramble to do so according to Scott, but finding an available programmer with the time to create a multi cart loader prgram to handle all six games was difficult.

Sorry, but I don't understand why there was a "scramble" to release games that have already gone unreleased for nearly 30 years. Why not spend a few more months and do it right?
  • Like 8

I think what he is trying to say is that he believes 6 separate carts is wasteful - why not put all theses games on one cartridge as a multi-cart... ???

There was a scramble to do so according to Scott, but finding an available programmer with the time to create a multi cart loader prgram to handle all six games was difficult.

Sorry, but I don't understand why there was a "scramble" to release games that have already gone unreleased for nearly 30 years. Why not spend a few more months and do it right?

Isn't that obvious with the price point? Money.

AX

I'd be interested to read any articles about Videosoft. Why so many projects and no releases? Who was a part of it? How'd start or end? Maybe when they release the ROMs some more info? Maybe?

I recently found a couple Black Enterprise articles featuring Lawson (one pre-Crash, one post-Crash):

http://books.google.com/books?id=N6pacvfrf0wC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA40#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=kV8EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA109#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by CRV

absolutely ... why not doing it right? has the topic ever been mentioned before on AA or DP? i have the feeling that this was done secretely and poppep up ot of nowhere as a finished product. it is also surprising that this wasn't posted here ... no interest check before production ... no official post ... a label contest could have been done to obtain proper artwork with low costs as there is enough talented people here to create something for a small budget or even just a copy of the finished product.

and this is why .......

Isn't that obvious with the price point? Money.

AX

.... i get the same feeling than ax!

it's defenitely not the packaging that makes the games expensive:

http://www.tapestockonline.com/plasvhsboxwi.html

with a cart costing about 10-12$ (a hozer 4K cart would be 8$ minus discount) and maybe 5$ royalties (if these are payed at all) that is still a lot of money made on every game.

with an average of 20$ made on each cart that is roughly an estimated outcome of 12000$ after expenses if you sell 6x100 games.

a bit too much for my taste, seeing that not much efforts have been done to create a funky 80ies label design or to create a proper box like it has been done for racer and other games.

Edited by jahfish
  • Like 2

I believe it to mean that once the ROM is released you can't sell the ROM or make carts from the ROM and sell that. Meaning, you can't have Al make a cart and then go sell that cart on Ebay.

In the open source world, people get paid for their time and materials, with the understanding that the payer is not paying for the data.

I believe Al could produce carts and charge for his labor and cart materials.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the price is fine for all 6 carts, I think there are real stupid people cashing in $1000s for some weekend or competition carts from Nintendo, those carts contain like 2 minutes gameplay, now there's a waste of cash...

And of course, these 6 carts will have some real collectors value in the future.

Edited by high voltage

interesting note: the discussion about those games has completely died, here and on DP since the first DP thread was deleted, then a second one was posted and deleted again and now the first one has been restarted as an edited version. that's the shortest discussion about a new proto release i've ever seen.

:ponder:

... delete the first one, then put up a second one, delete that one then put up an edited version of the first one :lol:

i read it from time to time but never post there ... i forgot the password of my account and don't have the email account i used to register back then ... so i never bothered to register again

I'm registered over there and have posted once or twice, but I never even browse the forums. The only things I go there for are the online guides, and if a Google search leads me there.

Lock topics, OK, censor members' inflammatory posts if necessary for the good of the community, fine, but don't just go around deleting entire topics on something of value like a new release of recently unearthed prototypes!

• Like 4

today on facebook:

Between You and Atari Videosoft

January 16 at 5:50pm Report

you decide to make a fake account on DP, you might want to use a different email address.

Idiot.

hey scott, since you're surely reading this thread as well (and you closed down the only DP account i had):

it was my only account as i could not activate my old one anymore ... it wasn't a fake account

but posting on FB with a profile called videosoft that you delete right after sending me this message ist just so ****** :roll:

grow up!

today on facebook:

Between You and Atari Videosoft

January 16 at 5:50pm Report

you decide to make a fake account on DP, you might want to use a different email address.

Idiot.

hey scott, since you're surely reading this thread as well (and you closed down the only DP account i had):

it was my only account as i could not activate my old one anymore ... it wasn't a fake account

but posting on FB with a profile called videosoft that you delete right after sending me this message ist just so ****** :roll:

grow up!

We love burning bridges- we do!

we love burning bridges- we do!

OOOOOOOOOH

Burning bridges we love you!

And who the heck is Scott????? :D

• Like 2