IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Its rare for sure, gut not 1000$ + rare. Its more like 500 in my opinion. I saw more Spikers than Tuts or Mud Buggies this year.

But another story: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fitm%2F121158228389%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1423.l2649

Bad news guys: The box is in a rough shape, but whats the bigger problem: Learning Fun I comes WITHOUT the manual. I know here are many guys who are looking for a CiB copy (like I do), so I think its good to share this knowledge with you. Its a bit sad for the seller, because he seems to be a very nice person.

Unfortunately the last 10+ CIB Spiker's in the last 3 or so years that weren't mispriced BINs and were widely known haven't gone for under $1000. I think the last one under $1000 was ghsqb's that was mislabeled and still went for $700? IIRC

I think a lot of UK sellers are a bit squiffy about shipping to Canada. I personally have had a lot of problems with customs rejecting stuff or holding it an inordinate amount of time. Given eBay's propensity for throwing money back at buyers the moment they raise an eye brow about delivery time I think many are cautious.A lot of other countries have a worse rep. regarding delivery & customs-Brazil notably.I have a friend there and he expects a month on most stuff,even if its EMS. Italy can be a bit iffy in popular opinion but Ive never had a problem,swift and efficient for me .

Ive got countries myself that I'd not post to through eBay for just this reason,Canada's not amongst them but I can see why people shy off as the restrictions list,if you ever get time to read it,is pretty draconian. I learnt after 2 returns NOT to use the word GAME on the customs sheet !

Meantime that seller's not a million miles ffrom us up here in the UK,a trip round with some good old ££££ notes in hand ? Hmmmmm, itll be a bit too rich for me I think. Can't one of you guys flood the market with Spikers so we can all afford one :)

PS - loving the chicanery on the other big lot on eBay. Must be 20 members with fingers poised to bid but nobody's gonna give it away. I'm NOT playing poker with you guys!!!!

• Like 1

@ Spiker

I still hope to find a Spiker HERE in a trade or for buying. To tell the truth: I am very afraid of buying a repro box on Ebay. Games which went for more than 1000€ are very attractive to fake.

@ cmart

No need to say that you wasnt the person who asked for the side deal, it would be strange if you offer a amount in Euro :P It wasnt me either, I think 140 is a bit much for a rough shaped box without manual.

Edited by Ignorama

Its only going to get worse for that too :( In the past 10 years Ive seen Nintendo stuff go from the odd occasional very obvious pirate to millions of (OK not great copies) games and, worse, replica packaging on the market.

Personally as an old school collector I really DONT like replica stuff. It is poison to the collector market and as evidenced there it puts buyers off,thus damaging prices. I applaud the odd producer who actually has the integrity to print something to the effect of 'replica' on the box they make but many don't. I get that many will never afford say a Spiker or Stadium Events or similar but sadly while these boxes are produced ' for display only' in reality the great majority sold on the likes of eBay are bought by cart owners looking to make a quick buck. A few have been spotted here going to dispute over legitimacy of packaging. Fortunately the Nintendo stuff,to me at least,stands out instantly. Ive verified a few for others as fake or genuine ( I say FAKE as opposed to replica as once offered for sale as an official item they become fake) and theyre usually spottable but I'd not like to take a punt at Intellivision boxes -yet. Im sure theyre an easy spot if you see enough but not having the visual experience as yet Id be looking at a seller's feedback integrity . Anyone selling replicas as genuine will usually have a few feedback issues for other stuff!!!!

On the big lot on eBay -just wanted to pick brains- IS a LF1 worth 140 Euros?? In a ratty state with no booklet? WOW ! Being still fairly green Im just enjoying picking up what falls into my lap at the right money,serious stuff is a long way off but being keen to collect in as good a condition as possible what is a LF1 likely to bring in mint condition? And by its general absence anywhere Im guessing LF2 is going to be far harder to get than 1 as well?

Damn I need a price guide!!!!!

Awesome link! Thanks.

No problem. I learned about it a couple of years ago from someone here on AA.

It works best when you click on the individual game, then use the tabs for Loose, CIB, and NIB. The algorithm isn't perfect, as some CIB examples will sneak into the Loose listings, and vice versa. But eBay will only let you search so far back--unless you have a link to the item number, which this site provides. Some links are still live after over a year.

Blinding link,muchas gracias :)

Which now leaves me even more at sea !!!! This info is pretty comprehensive-which begs the Q- why is the sentiment on here leaned toward Spiker being more easy to find than people say and - a $100 game to $500 game. History says this is most defo not the case,there's nothing in the history whatsoever to suggest a CIB Spiker would be anything less than $1200- pretty terrifying as it may be! Methinks a few red Herrings being thrown out heh heh - Im not wealthy enough for a Spiker at that $$ at the moment so Im no threat in the bidding!!!

WAS stunned though to spot LF1 at $400+ = heading £300 for a CIB one - explains the eagerness of the eBayer to cut a deal at £120 to get it out of that big lot.

I think that's as good as Im gonna get as a guide goes. Of course that's little help he heh , Intellivision prices are the most bonkers Ive come across and Ive followed quite a few formats on eBay over the years. Intellivision $s fluctuate wildly aside from the rarest ones which are more consistent so its hard to say ANYTHING is too expensive or even a bargain,You never know whats round the next corner-and that's great!!

Ive watched more mainstream (no offence guys but the beloved Intv isn't as hard followed as many formats .......YET!) retro games become commodities for traders,the N64,then the SNES,more recently NES and now the Gameboy is right now becoming expensive to buy for.......so I think before long the collectors priced out of Nintendo/Sega etc formats will start sniffing about older gear even more. This of course brings traders in numbers,driving even job lots sky high and consequently 'split' prices will filter down to individual games. In a way its positive as more solid values get apportioned to individual items but on the other hand these are never lower values.

I think the Intellivision is a cracking system to collect for,bless the day I saw a Sea Battle overlay on the loft floor and set out to buy back my youth But above that its one of the few areas you can still snag a brilliant buy without 50 experienced price driving traders bombing every auction in the last 1 second,knowing to the penny what a lot will be back on eBay for in a weeks time. Itll come but hopefully not too soon,most traders here in the UK are quite ignorant of the system with the exception of 1 or 2 who are thankfully good ones!

Im going to go bury my head in those stats now,I won't know much more by the time Im done but its a start and chance to look out for some bargains to add to the collection!

Cheers once again guys

Ok,1 last one as all you guys on the other side of the pond get up and we get ready to turn in :)

Were the Intv titles ever sealed? I notice looking at the great guide linked above there's no NEW info for any-I see a good few minty ones but never wrapped/sealed. Is it the case these are only CIB then and never sealed? Also a few others like LF1 don't seem to have any data for NEW sealed,again Ive seen a couple of minters (passed up a bargain I now realise) but always just CIB nr mint, never wrapped.

Apologies for being the eager noob!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the index chart on the landing page is quite telling -- Intellivision game prices peaked sometime in February-March 2013. A couple of sellers contributed to that spike, I think. One named utahmountainrose was selling her husband's collection, and these items commanded a premium because of their quality. I would say that the premium may have been as high as 30% over "regular" prices. Another named lewi3yn2 sold off an unbelievable collection of items that included a Keyboard Component and PlayCable (the $510 LF1 was his).

Ok,1 last one as all you guys on the other side of the pond get up and we get ready to turn in :)

Were the Intv titles ever sealed? I notice looking at the great guide linked above there's no NEW info for any-I see a good few minty ones but never wrapped/sealed. Is it the case these are only CIB then and never sealed? Also a few others like LF1 don't seem to have any data for NEW sealed,again Ive seen a couple of minters (passed up a bargain I now realise) but always just CIB nr mint, never wrapped.

Apologies for being the eager noob!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that most if not all Mattel releases were shrinkwrapped. I believe that none of the INTV releases were shrinkwrapped. Imagic was shrinkwrapped, and I have to believe Activision was too (because the tray would fall out). Not sure about the other publishers.

Sorry, but this link is VERY tricky sometimes and you shouldnt trust that site.

Stadium Mud Buggies CiB - 510$ ?!

I paid this for my copy and I knew that it was too expensive, CiB copy in a good shape is about 400, but it just claims the last and highest price as the regular value. This pushes the prices very fast, so be VERY careful with this link. I found it some month ago and it often gave me wrong information with too high prices.

Another example:

Major League World Series Baseball CiB - 170$ - also based on one single auction. Other copies went for 110-120$ last weeks and there is one SEALED and GRADED on Ebay for 210 - no one cares, so 170 is definitely not the regular value of a used copie, its just one lucky auction.

I noticed that the site doesnt use the real prices. If you sell a game for best offer, it seems that they use the starting price, even if it went much cheaper. So if you start at 500 and sell it for 300, the 500 is the value with generates the price on this site. Just take a look here: http://videogames.pr...ed-auctions-cib

Click the Mud Buggies for 580$ and you see that it was sold for 400.

Edited by Ignorama

Which now leaves me even more at sea !!!! This info is pretty comprehensive-which begs the Q- why is the sentiment on here leaned toward Spiker being more easy to find than people say and - a $100 game to $500 game. History says this is most defo not the case,there's nothing in the history whatsoever to suggest a CIB Spiker would be anything less than $1200- pretty terrifying as it may be! Methinks a few red Herrings being thrown out heh heh - Im not wealthy enough for a Spiker at that $$ at the moment so Im no threat in the bidding!!!

I never denied Spiker is selling for over $1000, I'm just saying it is not worth that much. Something in that price league shouldn't show up more than once a year. I could afford Spiker, but spending $1000 or more for a video game is a no go for me.

Its like Andre says. History showed that Spiker sells for prices close to 2000$, but its a good example when history makes no sense. I am not watching the Intellivision market since years, but in the last year there were more Spikers than Tuts or Buggies, but its selling for a price you could buy at least four Mud Buggies.

Maybe there was a looooong period without Spikers on Ebay, I dont know, but in the last month there were so many copies (no good sign by the way, just keep in mind Neo Geo bootlegs) and the price is still above 1000$. I have to consider it later if I really want to pay 1500$ for a game which is not really ultra rare.

It would be very interessting when Spiker became so terrible expensive, because all the rarity guides graded it as ER1, so NOT ultra rare and latest Ebay auctions seem to confirm that its more common than some other games.

Are you sure ? Major league WSB has 4 CIB completeds on there, 110,113,167 and 173.

Must admit at a glance it IS misleading but there's plenty of info buried in the links as Boxpressed said,on face value it is a bit misleading but there are plenty of completed listings for most to get a feel.

Again though,as I mentioned,WILD fluctuations.One game in the CIB (forget as I have overloaded on info!!!) varied from about $38 through heaps in the 60's and 70's -through to one-apparently no better than some of the others - at about $212. Crazy stuff and most confusing. But it proves we can't 'know' the prices. The market (I speak from a UK POV) has gotten much stronger in the past 2 years- recession/depression or whatever aside- as new 'highs' have been laid down on the stuff Ive traditionally followed (and still do) these highs become benchmarks and the standard for items of similar quality. Intellivision collecting isn't as touched by trader greed as yet so prices fly about varying by hundreds of percent. If as I supect traders come to this format in numbers soon,driven out by buying prices in the Sega/Nintendo markets then prices will become more consistent - and sadly will rise steadily accordingly too.

I agree on the rarity thing if an item is genuinely not that hard to find. Ive seen this across other formats,games you can lay your hands on most weeks still bring prices that are really beyond their rarity. Supply and demand I guess, if there are 10 Spikers in a year but 200 chasing them they still all make BIG money. Mud Buggies conversely may only show 3 times but if the % ratio to buyers isn't as high then the price remains steady rather than going crazy. Perception of this rarity and rumour helps fuel silly prices too.Diifficulty in obtaining the game then outweighs the actual rarity,this is often created by a game's own reputation,deserved or not.

Markets in previously game starved areas are pushing UK prices up now,UK buyers are like ' what the hell! Im not paying £30 for x,y, or z,Ill give you £18' Yet a French buyer will rip the seller's hand off at £30.Scandinavian buyers as well as Eastern European ones are driving prices too,often to the disgust of many of us but that's life. Ive noticed the US markets are generally more consistent,better priced for buyers and better supplied but as foreign buyers influence real rarity buying more we're starting to get stuck with higher buying prices and difficulty sourcing many titles.

I do agree $1500-2000 IS crazy crazy money for a game. At this point it becomes a trading commodity-a cash chip in effect really,like VB Virtual Bowling or Gundam/NES Stadium Events and others.Nothing in the game or rarity justifies this kind of money to most people but while there's a profit for some in these huge tags there will always exist games with disproportionate prices. I paid £500 for a Virtual Boy title ,we've all done it but Id have to have a lottery win to fork out $2k for a Spiker.

I bow to the experienced heads here,Im just basing observations on what I see in the recent market,Ive been around the retro games scene for many years but the Intv area is a new challenge to me :)

Edited by Oldtimer

Yes, you can't go by the site's aggregate pricing. As I stated above, you have to click on the individual link for the game and study the completed auction prices.

Ignorama may be right about the best offer problem, though. eBay won't tell you what the best offer was, just what the list price was. I'm not sure if Pricecharting has access to the accepted price. Terapeak does show you the accepted price, however.

Also, Pricecharting misses some auctions. I know, because I sold a CIB SMB back in June that's not listed. ;)

@ Oldtimer

The 167 auction was sold with an additional repro box and the original box was nice shaped. A repro box is not worth 40 bucks, but it was the first listing for a long time with a nice goodie :)

@ box

There are many auctions missing. Not a single Spiker in 2013, but I remember at least four :) Its very sad, but it brings me to an important point: Never trust in a automatic generated guide. Price Guides have to be made by people who know and watch the market for a long time. Easy example: A system cant decide if a auction is real or fake, so its very easy to push the price of uncommon (not rare) games a lot. Just "sell" Hover Force for 600$ to fake accounts, claim a not paid article, get your fees back and do it again. It wont take a long time til a automatic generated guide tells you Hover Force has a value of 200$.

In fact: The site is good to watch the recent listings of a game, but you really should figure out the price by yourself.

Edited by Ignorama

Spiker I think is a great example of a game that is not THAT rare, but the demand for it keeps the price high. Many other games for many other systems are like that. (Earthbound is another one I see people moaning about all the time). And then again, you have to look at a CIB copy vs cart only. The former is always going to be more in demand from collectors, hence the prices get jacked up more.

Over the years, the 'hot' Intellivision game has gone through several changes. I've seen all the following at one point or another go crazy bonkers (consistently > $150) in price. Keep in mind: my paying close attention to this was several years ago:

• Body Slam! Super Pro Wrestling
  • Stadium Mud Buggies
  • Triple Challenge
  • Learning Fun I
  • Learning Fun II
  • Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball

I'm guessing here, but I think that the Learning Fun titles are actually rarest in that the fewest were probably sold and still floating around. Triple Challenge? Hard to say... I don't think it was a big seller. The others have the distinction of being pretty decent games in their own right, which will boost demand somewhat, IMO. Been out of the 'complete the library' stage long enough to not have my finger on the pulse of that any more. As we have fun pointing out, there are different stages and scopes for collecting.

Ultimately, as long as people keep the attitude that they must get Spiker! and it must be now, or there may never be another, the price will remain high. I think the Intellivision Lives! background on the game that stresses it being the final release and that copies were sold without boxes is a big tipping point into goosing the demand higher - not that it helps the Blue Sky Rangers. (Unless of course Keith Robinson has a palette full of never-shipped Spikers! :P )

I have to think at least part of the Spiker pricing is it's reputation for being a high priced game. This also helps with the justification on spending >$1000 since most feel they will always be able to recoup their initial investment. I may be a bit more skeptical at $1500. Sure it could go up or stay flat, but the higher it gets the easier the fall vs. additional climb. Earthbound is another great example of "not rare" but pricey. Not that Spiker isn't rare, but there are much rarer games. Deep Pockets, Robot Rubble, League of Light, and Super Chef BT will likely be among the rarest moving forward (and probably most sought after). I doubt more than 50-100 copies of any of those ever sold (or will sell), but there had to be way more Spikers that originally sold, although many didn't make it to today. Difference being that not all of the people who bought Spiker were hard core collectors, like with the others I mentioned. Although, If you still played Intellivision in 1989 and wanted games bad enough to order by mail and wait 3-6 months, I suppose you were at least a loyal enthusiast :D

Not that I have been in the pricing market for too long, but...

I would also add Mountain Madness as a "once >$150 game"

Worm Whomper and the Jetsons seem like recent climbers (Formerly $60-80, now steadily >$100)

Again, maybe just my more recent perspective coming out of the lower priced gaming market due to the recession in the last 3 years. Just my two cents...

Edited by JasonlikesINTV