IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Nice catch. And these are the original cases without the "Insert to this line" marking.

IF it actually sold.

"private listing - bidders' identities protected"

If it actually sold I don't feel sorry for the buyer... That's just stupid.

But you have to look that it was sold in Europe and this is the first one since a long time. low priced shipping, NO CUSTOM FEES, easy return if anything is wrong, maybe local pick up.

Another point: The damn weak dollar. Maybe the game was sold for the same amount in the USA, but there where more expensive Spikers if you look at the amount in Euro. Sure, too expensive for this "not so ultra rare" game, but there are several factors you have to consider.

Edited by Ignorama

That Spiker DID sell. After a fashion that is,I think it may appear again yet!!!! I was in touch with the seller,I got some other games from him on Tuesday,it was a toss up between hanging onto my pennies for a half chance at the Spiker or getting a few good buys .In the end I went for grabbing a Jetsons,LF1,and a couple of other 'Super Pro's' . So no bidding for me but he did drop me a line after the auction asking if I was interested as he was steaming at a US bidder for mucking him about. The winner apparently emailed him less than 60 seconds after it ended saying 'Oh sorry I thought I was bidding in $ US Dollars,I didn't mean to bid that much,can you cancel it please?' ( He'd also bid 3 other times on the auction so I think he was just an obsessive 'winner' and couldn't afford it.)

A LOT of UK sellers I talk to report this,heh heh,some US buyers tend to see an auction,leap in feet 1st and then back out SO often :) I wonder if it IS the £/$ thing causing confusion.

By the sounds of it he'd been asked by several bidders to make it private as they didn't want people picking up on their bidding activities on high priced items but then asked by about 10 more WHY it was private-so you can't win really. I get people wanting to hide their bigger spending but as a seller I'd never be swayed as ,like I think he's about to find out,it knocks confidence in other bidders. Felt a bit for him,he seems a decent bloke and was very friendly and helpful to deal with. Ive had requests to make highest end items private on many occasions with Nintendo stuff,I think people don't like their friends knowing how much they blew on a game.We all like to claim we got a bargain don't we??

I don't have a grand doing nothing this week or I'd have had a look,it's a big big tag but these things become established and games become cash chips,sometimes it's hard to envisage them dropping back in price. I remember getting a mint complete SNES Terranigma for £26.99 a few years back but I don't think I'd hang on for prices to return there,they never will .

Will watch with interest,Ive got a handful of rare Gameboy sets to sell,if I can move them this week I might just give Mr Spiker a shout.I'd not be the least surprised to see it go to auction again as he said the last 2 bidders bumped it £400,take the winner out and the runner up is gonna be reluctant to take a 2nd chance at maybe £1050 or whatever,knowing he MIGHT have won it at £800 had the winner not screwed the bidding up.

That's my pet hate with eBay,you bid on an item at £30,put £100 on and are high bidder at £32.Then with 1 second left youre sniped and it ends at £102 or whatever. 2 days later you get a 2nd chance offer as the seller failed to fully block overseas bidders and a non-uk bidder nipped in with the snipe. But they WONT ship to them so offer it up. AT £100!!!! You'd have won it for £32 but for the attentions of a non-eligible bidder so this guy's bids should be TOTALLY discounted for 2nd chance purposes. Ive had to pay some extra money over the years due to bidders who should have been blocked getting in as the seller hadn't set their site preferences up correctly. But that's eBay,rant over !!!

That's my pet hate with eBay,you bid on an item at £30,put £100 on and are high bidder at £32.Then with 1 second left youre sniped and it ends at £102 or whatever. 2 days later you get a 2nd chance offer as the seller failed to fully block overseas bidders and a non-uk bidder nipped in with the snipe. But they WONT ship to them so offer it up. AT £100!!!! You'd have won it for £32 but for the attentions of a non-eligible bidder so this guy's bids should be TOTALLY discounted for 2nd chance purposes. Ive had to pay some extra money over the years due to bidders who should have been blocked getting in as the seller hadn't set their site preferences up correctly. But that's eBay,rant over !!!

Whenever I get a notice for a 2nd chance. I ALWAYS say only if you drop the price down to where I would have won it without the knuckle-head bidder. (at your 32 in your case), otherwise no deal.

Edited by SoulBuster

Just my two cents: It smells like price push in the example. Bid with a fake account and use second chance offer to get the highest possible price.

Don't think so for a minute. I know the IDs of the top 2 bidders are not UK based but are in the US,seemed legit by his reaction to the plantpot who didn't know $ from £s .It'd be a pretty elaborate scam to have an account in the USA for those purposes. He doesn't look to run many auctions ever either so I think we're running up a conspiracy there heh heh!!

If it was me I'd just have used the shop facility to bung it up at £1250 and sit and look at it. Maybe more $$$$s ,it brings lookers into the shop,top dollar stuff is like a magnet to eBayers,I hate having no high end rarities in,picks up no end with a few crazy priced ultra rares at the top of the lists :) Buyers tend to be ignorant of shop listing prices,hence the many offers of 'if you don't sell this Ill give you £10' (on a £25 item) People always think if you sell used games you're clearing your loft out or desperate for money. Shop listing prices for a £2000 item are 5p a month . Wayhey!!!!! Tats wher eit'd have gone with me anyway,people can always try their hand,I don't think I'd have had the guts to chance a no reserve auction !!!!!

Geez, you guys are so quick to throw out insults and the like, on a topic you're pretty much guessing about.

I'm not ashamed to say the "plantpot, "obsessive winner", "knuckle head bidder", or whatever else happened to be me. Simple case of not being solely focused on it, while at work, and didn't pay close enough attention. As guessed once, I put some random number in, which wasn't that much relative to a Spiker, and thought it was US dollars. Was in the last 10 seconds or so, and was typing in a big hurry. No one to blame but myself for being a big ignorant, but I sure noticed it once I saw I had the high bid and what that bid was.

I did message the seller immediately, and he(?) was very polite in his response, basically saying "sure, no problem". I've never had this happen, but it sure happened here and I'm the sole person to blame for it. I'm happy and lucky the seller replied the way he did.

So sue me, and now that you know the "buyer", keep the insults coming. I can take them. :_(

• Like 1

That Spiker DID sell. After a fashion that is,I think it may appear again yet!!!! I was in touch with the seller,I got some other games from him on Tuesday,it was a toss up between hanging onto my pennies for a half chance at the Spiker or getting a few good buys .In the end I went for grabbing a Jetsons,LF1,and a couple of other 'Super Pro's' . So no bidding for me but he did drop me a line after the auction asking if I was interested as he was steaming at a US bidder for mucking him about. The winner apparently emailed him less than 60 seconds after it ended saying 'Oh sorry I thought I was bidding in $ US Dollars,I didn't mean to bid that much,can you cancel it please?' ( He'd also bid 3 other times on the auction so I think he was just an obsessive 'winner' and couldn't afford it.)

A LOT of UK sellers I talk to report this,heh heh,some US buyers tend to see an auction,leap in feet 1st and then back out SO often :) I wonder if it IS the £/$ thing causing confusion.

Just to add... if I bid three times before my unintentional win, that's not really "leaping in feet first", now is it? There was no confusion, it was me not reading my screen. Simple as that.

I actually think I should have let this go on a bit longer to see what else was speculated upon, but silence and/or deception isn't my thing. Christ, my last visit to the vet with one of my dogs, I cost myself an extra $600-700 when I said the bill was a lot less than my wife told me to expect... sure enough, it was wrong. Oh well. Life goes on.

Geez, you guys are so quick to throw out insults and the like, on a topic you're pretty much guessing about.

I'm not ashamed to say the "plantpot, "obsessive winner", "knuckle head bidder", or whatever else happened to be me. Simple case of not being solely focused on it, while at work, and didn't pay close enough attention. As guessed once, I put some random number in, which wasn't that much relative to a Spiker, and thought it was US dollars. Was in the last 10 seconds or so, and was typing in a big hurry. No one to blame but myself for being a big ignorant, but I sure noticed it once I saw I had the high bid and what that bid was.

I did message the seller immediately, and he(?) was very polite in his response, basically saying "sure, no problem". I've never had this happen, but it sure happened here and I'm the sole person to blame for it. I'm happy and lucky the seller replied the way he did.

So sue me, and now that you know the "buyer", keep the insults coming. I can take them. :_(

That's actually a problem on the internet, it's too easy for people to insult someone when they don't have to look them in the eye. I've dealt with you before and know you to be a good guy ... glad the seller was reasonable and that everything worked out ok.

Keep your chin up, plantpot! ;) (I don't even know what that means ...)

Edited by Fushek

I've sold some games to slab0meat too, and the experience was positive. I believe that the bid was placed in error, for whatever my unsolicited opinion is worth. It seems to me that this seller responded quite well to the request for retraction given that there will have to be suspicion of funny business with any second-chance offer. Oldtimer is right that leading/winner bidders "reveal" the maximum bid of the runner up, so when they retract their bid, the seller can be suspected of being in on something. And if there is no second-chance offer accepted, at the very least, the seller will have had a week's worth of auctioning scuttled and will need to do it again. Not fun for a high-ticket item. An unfortunate turn of events for all, especially the seller, to be sure. I hope he makes more this time around.

OK so you are not a knuckle-headed bidder. I am sure that most of the time you are on the ball, but it was a knuckle-headed bid ;)

Fair play,I hold my hand up. Guilty of jumping in without knowing both sides fully but as a seller I'd be a bit irritated myself I think,it was a lot of money for his auction to be screwed up. In fairness to the seller he was just as annoyed that due to a couple of self proclaimed 'high rollers' who assured him they'd ONLY bid on a private auction he was also stuck with big problems getting a credible 2nd chance offer taken by anyone. Its easy to look in from outside and assume how a seller might feel,if offence was caused I apologise :sad:

Sorry slabomeat didn't know it was you ! The seller said it wasn't his place to divulge bidder IDs,so Kudos to you for manning up to the bid, :) Im sure if you've been around eBay a bit you know how it can be with auctions,esp with prices like this,its very hard to have a credible re-list and often costs you 20-30% of the price next time around.The seller wasn't particularly annoyed at that 1 bid in particular but at the general way it'd gone,getting a good price then it falling apart from the top down,he seems a reasonable guy and glad you sorted it out smoothly,the way ebay should be done.

'Plantpot' for the uninitiated is a low level term,I dunno the parallel in US terms-dipstick? Mebbe somebody who does something a bit daft but with no malice. Or something like :)

Edited by Oldtimer

'Plantpot' for the uninitiated is a low level term,I dunno the parallel in US terms-dipstick? Mebbe somebody who does something a bit daft but with no malice. Or something like :)

Something good did come from all of this ... Plantpot is my new favorite insult :evil:.

• Like 3

That's actually a problem on the internet, it's too easy for people to insult someone when they don't have to look them in the eye. I've dealt with you before and know you to be a good guy ... glad the seller was reasonable and that everything worked out ok.

Keep your chin up, plantpot! ;) (I don't even know what that means ...)

Thanks for the kind words.

I've sold some games to slab0meat too, and the experience was positive. I believe that the bid was placed in error, for whatever my unsolicited opinion is worth. It seems to me that this seller responded quite well to the request for retraction given that there will have to be suspicion of funny business with any second-chance offer. Oldtimer is right that leading/winner bidders "reveal" the maximum bid of the runner up, so when they retract their bid, the seller can be suspected of being in on something. And if there is no second-chance offer accepted, at the very least, the seller will have had a week's worth of auctioning scuttled and will need to do it again. Not fun for a high-ticket item. An unfortunate turn of events for all, especially the seller, to be sure. I hope he makes more this time around.

Thanks, and I agree. I certainly don't feel good about the burden I put on the seller.

OK so you are not a knuckle-headed bidder. I am sure that most of the time you are on the ball, but it was a knuckle-headed bid ;)

No denying that, a very knuckle-headed bid. :woozy:

Fair play,I hold my hand up. Guilty of jumping in without knowing both sides fully but as a seller I'd be a bit irritated myself I think,it was a lot of money for his auction to be screwed up. In fairness to the seller he was just as annoyed that due to a couple of self proclaimed 'high rollers' who assured him they'd ONLY bid on a private auction he was also stuck with big problems getting a credible 2nd chance offer taken by anyone. Its easy to look in from outside and assume how a seller might feel,if offence was caused I apologise :sad:

Sorry slabomeat didn't know it was you ! The seller said it wasn't his place to divulge bidder IDs,so Kudos to you for manning up to the bid, :) Im sure if you've been around eBay a bit you know how it can be with auctions,esp with prices like this,its very hard to have a credible re-list and often costs you 20-30% of the price next time around.The seller wasn't particularly annoyed at that 1 bid in particular but at the general way it'd gone,getting a good price then it falling apart from the top down,he seems a reasonable guy and glad you sorted it out smoothly,the way ebay should be done.

No offense taken.. did a dumb thing and the insults were at least partially deserved.

Something good did come from all of this ... Plantpot is my new favorite insult :evil:.

I think I like it too, actually.