IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

What these idiot hoarders don't realize is that these items, while uncommon and worth more than a cup of coffee, aren't exactly "rare" in the true sense of the word.

The "rarest" INTV cart was produced in the thousands (likely low tens of thousands). There are a LOT of copies of the Jetsons game out there. Hell, half the people here, which is a rather large chunk of the serious collecting community, already own several copies each. Buying a handful doesn't really change the value all that much, in the grand scheme of things. You'd have to already be a millionaire to afford enough copies to significantly alter the price of mass-produced consumer product.

Hmmm ... not really a lot of Jetsons out there. It's certainly one of the rarer carts and not many people here have multiple copies. It definitely doesn't show up too often so this reseller has the opportunity to artificially increase the price of it by buying all copies and making his the only ones available. He's trying to create his own mini-monopoly and it's hard enough to find that he may be able to do it to, at least, a lesser degree.

Voltron swore that this game was harder to find than Spiker ... I don't agree with that, but it is more than just "uncommon".

Hmmm ... not really a lot of Jetsons out there. It's certainly one of the rarer carts and not many people here have multiple copies. It definitely doesn't show up too often so this reseller has the opportunity to artificially increase the price of it by buying all copies and making his the only ones available. He's trying to create his own mini-monopoly and it's hard enough to find that he may be able to do it to, at least, a lesser degree.

Voltron swore that this game was harder to find than Spiker ... I don't agree with that, but it is more than just "uncommon".

To be clear, I meant "uncommon" in the sense of the rest of the world. Obviously it's "rare" in terms of INTV games. :D

I just mean that it's not exactly something where only 20 copies are known to exist or something, making it truly "rare" in the strictest sense of the word - and where hoarding 5-10 copies would have a material impact on prices. I'd imagine we could find at least several hundred copies floating around out there just by checking the usual haunts for a few months (ebay, etc) and totalling up people's collections on AA. I've seen guys with 3, 4, even 5 copies of it on here.

If you don't panic and have some patience (and yes, this may be measured in terms of years), I don't see how one guy owning 5% of something should really drive the price up that much. Eventually he'll either get bored of this, need money badly, or die. We're not talking Picassos here. At over $100 a copy, it'd be pretty expensive to hoard a game that exists in the several hundred quantity. And I suspect there are probably several thousand floating around out there.

I watched people do this in the comic business and it was amusing to see how many of these hoarders lots their shirts. It was also sad to watch people panic-buying because they thought "omg there must only be like 5 copies of this comic on the planet!!" - simply because a few people screwed with the market in the short-term. And collectible comics have a FAR greater market than retro games ever will have (not that I'm particularly pleased about that, don't get me wrong).

Maybe we should start an informal AA "inventory" of some of the rarer titles, just to see how full of shit I am. I'm mostly going on instinct and experience in other markets. And keeping rough tabs on what people seem to run into the most. Given that I've had several chances to buy loose copies for well under $100 within the past calendar year... let's just say it's no Stadium Events or Air Raid. ;)

Edited by freeweed

It's not really about how many [Jetsons] are out there, it's how many are available for sale. I'm guessing there are less than 15 CIB Jetsons games sold on eBay per year (1-2 of which are sealed). Sure, thousands were originally produced, but where are they? Many are just gone, some are waiting to be found, and others are in the stickey hands of collectors/hoarders. Even if collectors collectively own hundreds, it irrelevant if even the lure of recent high sale prices still isn't enough to make them want to unload spares. If only 15 sell per year and one guy buys 5, he gets a significant say in future pricing. He can cause a semi drought, throwing off the ratio of supply/demand. Eventually a desperate collector will pay a higher price, and not until people see those higher sale prices will they offer up their spares...if at all.

All that being said, numerous factors drive price...actual supply, actual demand, perceived supply, perceived demand, seasonal fluctuation, condition, collectibility/playability, reputation, etc.

Some examples:

Spiker - perceived as rare, actually rare, huge reputation, decently playable

Diner - Very playable (fun and high replayability), decently common, but high demand keeps prices up (think earthbound)

Sears Backgammon - Actually rare, very few available (maybe 1/year), price skyrocketing because of low supply, not at all worth buying for playability.

• Like 1

Thank you for the great analysis there Jason! I am glad at least that I never collected the Sears games as that Backgammon appears so hard to get. Diner is a lot of fun, I am going to play that today! :)

I have been meaning to pull out and play Spiker for years now and I believe now is the time as my Son has been playing the sports games with me now.......he is part of the future of Intellivision!

Edited by wolfy62

Thank you for the great analysis there Jason! I am glad at least that I never collected the Sears games as that Backgammon appears so hard to get. Diner is a lot of fun, I am going to play that today! :)

I have been meaning to pull out and play Spiker for years now and I believe now is the time as my Son has been playing the sports games with me now.......he is part of the future of Intellivision!

I'm embarrassed to say I've only played Diner a handful of times and I've never played Spiker...or Backgammon for that matter :) I should play more...

Even though it is rare, Spiker is a lot of fun to play.

Most of the rarest games on retro consoles (but not all) tend to be rather lame or boring. This is especially true when the lameness/boringness was the reason so few copies sold back in the day. Spiker, on the other hand, is mainly rare because it was the last Intellivision game produced and I think it was only available via mail order.

He at least looks like a collector who is paying for his hobby through reselling. I don't need what he has. I'd like a few things as upgrades or sealed…but not at his price. I don't have much left to upgrade except still looking for NOS for some item. I'd love a Sears Backgammon. The one on Ebay even for someone like me who want to complete a collection is not worth that price. I have two Sears Roulette's. Be happy to part with one of those to a Sears person who needs one.

Edited by BBWW

Didn't sell. Relisted at same price.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1615604986221?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=161560498622&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Why not? It's the HOLY GRAIL of Intellivision collecting! Anyone who is anyone would want this amazing item. And you don't even have to fight the Nazis for it.

Personally, I'm spending $10 on a repo, which this might just be anyway.

Even though it is rare, Spiker is a lot of fun to play.

Most of the rarest games on retro consoles (but not all) tend to be rather lame or boring. This is especially true when the lameness/boringness was the reason so few copies sold back in the day. Spiker, on the other hand, is mainly rare because it was the last Intellivision game produced and I think it was only available via mail order.

All true! Including the mail order part......

I believe radio shack had the last of Spiker! and Stadium Mud Buggies as few as there were, and many other sellout games from INTV and then sold the remaining stock to Telegames in Great Britain where I found my rarest top 5 games in 1997

. I was very lucky to start re-collecting in that and the next few years.

If not for Telegames, I would not have completed my collection. Lots of research and hunting back in the day! Fun stuff! ;-)

I believe radio shack had the last of Spiker! and Stadium Mud Buggies as few as there were, and many other sellout games from INTV and then sold the remaining stock to Telegames in Great Britain where I found my rarest top 5 games in 1997

. I was very lucky to start re-collecting in that and the next few years.

If not for Telegames, I would not have completed my collection. Lots of research and hunting back in the day! Fun stuff! ;-)

Those were great days! With some work and a little research you could really build some of the tough pieces of your collection. Now you have to be rich to even get many of the titles.

Question: Was this box released or is it just a photo the use in Europe a lot. It would be a cool variant to have.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Intellivision-Lock-n-Chase-mit-OVP-gebraucht-/390981704793?pt=DE_Konsolen&hash=item5b08535c59

I also used to think that it was an European box variant for the game but it's just an ad that appeared in magazines. I wonder if the reason it's used Europe is because that is what ebay suggests for the listing.