IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

There's a lot of hypocrisy here too. That one guy buys overlays from Intellivision Productions and resells then for a profit on ebay. People here cry foul because he's taking advantage of people who are clueless about getting them elsewhere for cheaper. These same people scour ebay looking for sellers clueless to the fact that they are selling rare games for cheap so that they can take advantage of them.

On the flip side this has happened to me and it was not a side deal. The seller just had noticed that "Wow this sold way too fast" and decided to look up the games (which they were too lazy to do earlier) and find out they screwed up. A good seller will tell you the truth and hopes that you will understand. A bad seller won't tell you anything.

Edited by IntellivisionDude

On the flip side this has happened to me and it was not a side deal. The seller just had noticed that "Wow this sold way too fast" and decided to look up the games (which they were too lazy to do earlier) and find out they screwed up. A good seller will tell you the truth and hopes that you will understand. A bad seller won't tell you anything.

The person i won Spiker from sent me a message about how it was only up for 10 minutes. But i guess i lucked out and they did not look it up.

We're sorry to let you know that deadalive-111 canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason.

The seller refunded back to your original payment method, and you don't need to do anything else.

Seems sleazy to me.

There's a lot of hypocrisy here too. That one guy buys overlays from Intellivision Productions and resells then for a profit on ebay. People here cry foul because he's taking advantage of people who are clueless about getting them elsewhere for cheaper. These same people scour ebay looking for sellers clueless to the fact that they are selling rare games for cheap so that they can take advantage of them.

Whatever. If people are too stupid or lazy to do price research then they absolutely deserve to be taken advantage of. If you go to a thrift store or yard sale and can buy a rare game cheap do you offer them more money? That would be idiotic.

Edited by ACFinPGH

The person i won Spiker from sent me a message about how it was only up for 10 minutes. But i guess i lucked out and they did not look it up.

You definitely got incredibly lucky on this in many ways, especially with the speed it was shipped out so that no underhanded POS could side deal you.

Whatever. If people are too stupid or lazy to do price research then they absolutely deserve to be taken advantage of. If you go to a thrift store or yard sale and can buy a rare game cheap do you offer them more money? That would be idiotic.

I think you missed my point.

I think everyone is all for finding a deal. What I was saying is that people shouldn't get on the guy's case for selling the overlays at a profit.

If people don't do proper research that's their fault.

I think you missed my point.

I think everyone is all for finding a deal. What I was saying is that people shouldn't get on the guy's case for selling the overlays at a profit.

If people don't do proper research that's their fault.

Ya, sorry, I definitely did. Looks like we pretty much agree.

Sorry to hear that Tim. :( I'd say there's a very good chance that someone contacted the seller and screwed you over. Asshat!

As Dude mentioned, if ever you get a good deal, don't mention it until you have confirmation of shipping, or better yet, have it in your hands.

apparently you can leave feedback

Sorry, you can't leave negative or neutral Feedback for this PowerSeller until 7 days after purchase.

That givse you a week to think of the right thing to say . I would give the seller both barrels. Make it hurt he took more money what a Douche nozzle .

You definitely got incredibly lucky on this in many ways, especially with the speed it was shipped out so that no underhanded POS could side deal you.

I was a nervous wreck for days. Even after it shipped. lol

Something happened to me one time that i didn't even know was legal. I once bought a lot of games off Ebay. It wasn't even that great of a deal. It was some N64 games and you could not even see them all. Half of them were in a basket. I thought it would be fun and take a gamble. They shipped the package and everything seemed to be normal. Well the very day it was to be delivered the package was "Out for delivery" like normal. I decided to check the tracking one more time before it got here at it now said "Customer Recall" I wasn't sure what was going on. Thought maybe the mailman scanned it wrong. When he comes to the door to deliver my mail he said his supervisor tracked him down and retrieved the package while it was out for delivery. He said the people called the post office to get it back. After this happened i googled this and sounds like this should not have happened and it is not suppose to be this easy to get a package back. I had to go through Ebay to get my money back. They never would message me back.

I'm sure this was just an isolated incident and it may never happen again. But now i don't feel safe until the package is in my hands. ;)

• Like 1

I see what you're saying, but I don't see it as hypocrisy - if anything, I find the 2 situations orthogonal to each other. At least in terms of me as a collector.

In the first case, you have someone deliberately going out of their way to gouge others. Granted the overlays are not *yet* a limited resource, but if IPI stops selling them, then we're talking about a potential hoarder who is trying to drive up the price artificially. Ebay is full of these people. Heck, we talk about examples of this in this very thread almost weekly.

In the second case, you have collectors who want something, but don't feel like paying the ridiculous markups that happen when enough people behave like person #1. If I can get Spiker! for $100, instead of $1000, and the seller is happy to sell at that price, then we both win. Odds are the person isn't exactly a heavy collector and probably is happy just to get rid of their excess trash.

But I'm a collector. Not a speculator, not a flipper, and most certainly not a gouger. I do this for the fun, not the profit. Everyone's different. I've sold many things before without realizing their full value. I'm happy that someone got a deal, and I learn for next time.

And we also see situation #1 about 100x more often than situation #2, at least when it comes to Ebay. That Spiker! deal that Dude got was absolutely mind-blowing, the kind of thing that happens once a decade.

But you're correct in one sense - we're all trying to get the best deal every time :)

Edit: now, if the guy in #1 buys a bunch of overlays from IPI and actually manages to receive them, and decides to sell them to people who just can't seem to get them, then at least he's providing a service of sorts. I don't begrudge people a little profit when it's difficult to obtain from the original vendor in the first place :P

Edited by freeweed

That definitely sucks. It's happened to me as well. We've had this discussion on these boards before. There are "certain people" that see absolutely nothing wrong with trying to do a side deal to take a deal like this away. These same people will often then try to resell the item themselves. I hate it. It's even worse that eBay doesn't care a bit. Just one more wonderful little thing that the profit seekers have brought to what used to be a fun little hobby.

If you go to a thrift store or yard sale and can buy a rare game cheap do you offer them more money?

I've done that once or twice, actually -- or at least, I've paid somewhat more than the seller's asking price (though not Ebay/retail prices).

The main time I can think of, it was a lady I've dealt with before and who's given me great deals, and it was my way of thanking her. It wasn't Spiker or anything, just a comically low price on a system + games lot. I rounded it up to the nearest convenient dollar amount.

Is this a reseal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-1983-Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Video-Game-SEALED-/221727422040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ffbf658

Getting so paranoid I won't bid on anything without an overlapped seal on the back, and this box art is shifted farther than most (I know, picky, picky) lol

Are you trying to tell if it's....certifiable? :)

I'm actually terrible at Parker Brothers seals. I'm decent at USA Mattel, Activision, and most Intellivision Inc. Many of the Hong Kong Mattel lack the back seal overlap. Some of the oddball Intellivision Inc games have a horizontal seal overlap. I'd never trust sealed consoles or Coleco games. Could just be reglued.

Yet another example of crappy eBay notifications....I won an auction earlier this evening. Just now received an app notification saying, "Sorry, you missed out on this item". I paid like two hours ago. Not even 5 minutes later I get yet another app notification saying that it has just been shipped. Oh, eBay....

Edited by JasonlikesINTV