IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

for those who care (like me):

lot including a sealed copy of Backgammon early edition (not the earliest "FCTVVO", though) with full color manual and overlays with ABPA logo: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2532637516351?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=253263751635&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

it doesn't happen often to come by copies like this in original shrinkwrap (if it's original, of course)

by the pictures I cannot say if Checkers is an early copy made in USA as well, even though some clues suggest it's a made in HK copy with red manual

So the ongoing high bidder for the Keyboard Component has a total of 12 purchases on eBay. Just sort of raises a flag for me. Someone places a bit to drive the price up to "reserve" perhaps. Maybe I'm just being a dick. LOL

So the ongoing high bidder for the Keyboard Component has a total of 12 purchases on eBay. Just sort of raises a flag for me. Someone places a bit to drive the price up to "reserve" perhaps. Maybe I'm just being a dick. LOL

Even at $3250 Canadian, the reserve _still_ has not been met. How high is this reserve? Sheesh.

I don't think the auction itself is fishy (we apparently know the provenance of this particular KC), but it's being run by your typical Ebay seller who thinks their stuff is worth more than it is, get upset when the market disagrees, and then play stupid games. Like setting a reserve, ridiculous (like, 3x what it should be) shipping, and especially suspicious bids.

There are VERY few people who can afford to spend $2500+ on hobby stuff, that don't have a million other bids in their history on said hobby stuff (hi cmart!). VERY suspicious.

What's a keyboard component with a working tape drive worth? If this one does not work you should be able to send it back at the seller's expense since they describe it "in working order", "like new", "all facets of the item flawless".

And with ebay reserves, the seller can always lower the reserve but not raise it. So it's better to start with a high reserve and lower as necessary.

Its best to not start with this rubbish if you really would sell something. This case he doesnt want to sell anything, if he doesnt get at least twice as much as its worth.

But well, he got his attention, so it worked out quite well. Cheap but effective methode.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

LOL. 45 mins left, $5000 Canadian, reserve not met. Same fishy high bidder - clearly a buddy account that proxy bid just under the reserve very shortly after the auction went live (it was the first bid, 90 mins after the auction started and 2 hours before anyone else bid).

Nothing fishy about that at all, nope!

Hindsight being 20/20, it looks like the seller did this rather well. He/she set the opening bid on a rare item at $1, protected the sale with a reserve, and set a Buy It Now price for anyone willing to pay a premium.

Yeah, and he managed to find a buyer who sniped with only 11 seconds left, just above the reserve price.