IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Hehehehe, THAT is what Pikachu should be including free with his games.

Screw the ketchup chips, his customers are all butt-hurt after the ride he takes them for. :P

I remember now... he also sold me Melody Blaster. And of course, it arrived with a keyboard keychain and a tiny, plastic, model keyboard. Where does he get all this stuff?

If someone does pony up $$$ for Fracture, at least the seller has another item available to help ease the pain. :-o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151954129119

Is it only my browser?

When I look at that auction, in the "item specifics" it says that the target area is the EYES, and it is for women.

That is not the typical area that this stuff is applied to, but one evening, months ago, when I happened to be able to make it to my son's soccer practice I overheard two soccer moms talking about using this stuff under their eyes to reduce their puffy eyelids. One mom was saying, "yeah, that is a long-time family secret"

That is when I promptly put my headphones in.

The things ladies do...

That part is clear. What's less clear is what is being offered in this auction.

I've seen pics of the prototype board that was discovered for it, and it definitely would not fit into an Activision shell. I also seem to remember someone saying that Keith has a copy of this - maybe we can get nurmix to ask him next time. Of course, I've also seen claims that this ROM has been dumped, but I've never stumbled upon a copy.

Oh, here's the pic I was thinking of:

1234606397825223.jpg

If that's actually an original board from the early 80s crammed in there, then I'm impressed. If the label is from back then, I'll eat my hat. I don't think anyone has ever found any "in-house" game on any platform that saw a full-blown cart produced complete with renamed label.

Edit: oh, and Keith's site claims that the game was also known as "The Dreadful Factor". Which means it likely had no official renamed title screen, which makes me even more suspicious of that label.

Maybe the board was folded up to fit inside the cartridge. I hear some of those prototype boards were also dishwasher safe but Mattel was too cheap to manufacture those for the general public. They also fly like a boomerang but I haven't convinced any collectors to try it.

Friendly teasing aside, yeah that label does look too pristine and it was hard to print quality one-off labels back in the early 1980s.

Maybe the board was folded up to fit inside the cartridge. I hear some of those prototype boards were also dishwasher safe but Mattel was too cheap to manufacture those for the general public. They also fly like a boomerang but I haven't convinced any collectors to try it.

Friendly teasing aside, yeah that label does look too pristine and it was hard to print quality one-off labels back in the early 1980s.

That's sort of my point earlier in my cost analysis. If he simply had the ROM burned to a new board and made his own label, the only real rarity is created by him by not making the ROM more widely available. If he bought the prototype and is trying to recoup costs by selling copies, that's fine, but maybe a more realistic approach would be having 50-100 made up and sell for $40 each.

That's sort of my point earlier in my cost analysis. If he simply had the ROM burned to a new board and made his own label, the only real rarity is created by him by not making the ROM more widely available. If he bought the prototype and is trying to recoup costs by selling copies, that's fine, but maybe a more realistic approach would be having 50-100 made up and sell for $40 each.

Am I going to have to make another set of Renegade boxes for Dreadnaught Fracture? ;)

It will be interesting to see what those three ECS units go for over at Goodwill. Prices always seem to get out of hand at the Will of Good.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lot-of-3-Intellivision-Computer-Adapters-29427211.html

Yeah prices on goodwill nearly always end up way high for what you get. Especially the handling fees that are added. Some folks must not mind though. I see the current bidder c******6 bidding on a lot of things.

pikachu0_7 (Darren) chatted with me on the phoned me today. Among many other Intellivision topics, we discussed his Dreadnaught Fracture for sale on eBay since there is a lot of discussion on it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361542077538). Here's what he had to say. Take this info however you see fit.

1. The Dreadnaught Fracture you see is how he received it from the previous owner. This includes the label as seen in the photo.
  2. I point-blank asked him some of the concerns raised in AA. He said that he has not dumped the ROM, did not program new boards, and did not create the label. He did not have someone else do these things for him.
    1. Unlike some of us programmers here, he's not very technical so such tasks would not be easy for him. For example, he doesn't have a cellphone (smartphone nor feature-phone). A while ago, when Canada shut down their over-the-air analog TV signals, he had to buy his first flatscreen TV and I helped him get his Intellivision hooked up (walked him through it over the phone).
  3. He figures he's the 4th owner of the cartridge, the first owner being the creator Bill Fisher of Mattel. The screen shot that says "cracked by Billy the Kid" likely refers to Bill Fisher.
  4. I mentioned JasonlikesINTV's idea of programming 100 boards and selling them for $40. He said he's not interested in doing that.

I'll add that I've known about pikachu0_7 having Dreadnaught Fracture for over 1.5 years now. It is the same cart that was offered to Cmart. Regarding the name Dreadnaught Fracture versus Dreadful Factor, my guess is that there may have been a few different ROM versions floating around inside Mattel. Someone already posted this link, but Intellivision Lives has a brief history of this game at http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/activision.shtml#dreadnaught. As for why it isn't a T-card, I don't know. Perhaps by 1982, Mattel's internal tools advances to no longer need them but I am guessing here.

I gave him some suggestions on how to improve the eBay listing for this item since such rare and unusual items inherently will have people who have concerns and doubts. Rare expensive items always attract extra scrutiny, as they should be.

As for the price, I am leaving that up to him since he is the seller.

If you have further questions or concerns, message him via eBay.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see what those three ECS units go for over at Goodwill. Prices always seem to get out of hand at the Will of Good.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lot-of-3-Intellivision-Computer-Adapters-29427211.html

I was the first bidder on this. Nice deal if you have the power supplies already. It will go for the $51 unless someone drives it up at the last minute. I believe the shipping/handling will cost you about $15 so factor that in.

Guest LiqMat

I was the first bidder on this. Nice deal if you have the power supplies already. It will go for the $51 unless someone drives it up at the last minute. I believe the shipping/handling will cost you about $15 so factor that in.

Yeah, I once in a while get a good deal over at GW. I was looking for a NVidia Shield Portable because they are fantastic game devices once you unlock them, but now that they are discontinued their price for a new one has gone through the roof in the ball park of $300-$400. I won a NIB unit at GW for $147.00. Who would donate a NIB unit in the first place is beyond me, but it was awesome sauce. Usually this is the exception though. A recent NIB Sega Game Gear went for $452 and that my friends is crazy sauce.

Edited by LiqMat

I agree with Lathe26 that Darren is not anywhere near the point of Making anything like this.

Darren takes heat for his high prices but I've often found a means to an end by talking to him. He is proudly stuck in the 1980's. He's a lot of fun, I would never buy anything outright at his prices...but have bought things from him and he from me.

• Like 1

pikachu0_7 (Darren) chatted with me on the phoned me today. Among many other Intellivision topics, we discussed his Dreadnaught Fracture for sale on eBay since there is a lot of discussion on it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361542077538). Here's what he had to say. Take this info however you see fit.

• The Dreadnaught Fracture you see is how he received it from the previous owner. This includes the label as seen in the photo.
  • I point-blank asked him some of the concerns raised in AA. He said that he has not dumped the ROM, did not program new boards, and did not create the label. He did not have someone else do these things for him.
    • Unlike some of us programmers here, he's not very technical so such tasks would not be easy for him. For example, he doesn't have a cellphone (smartphone nor feature-phone). A while ago, when Canada shut down their over-the-air analog TV signals, he had to buy his first flatscreen TV and I helped him get his Intellivision hooked up (walked him through it over the phone).
  • He figures he's the 4th owner of the cartridge, the first owner being the creator Bill Fisher of Mattel. The screen shot that says "cracked by Billy the Kid" likely refers to Bill Fisher.
  • I mentioned JasonlikesINTV's idea of programming 100 boards and selling them for $40. He said he's not interested in doing that.
I'll add that I've known about pikachu0_7 having Dreadnaught Fracture for over 1.5 years now. It is the same cart that was offered to Cmart. Regarding the name Dreadnaught Fracture versus Dreadful Factor, my guess is that there may have been a few different ROM versions floating around inside Mattel. Someone already posted this link, but Intellivision Lives has a brief history of this game at http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/activision.shtml#dreadnaught. As for why it isn't a T-card, I don't know. Perhaps by 1982, Mattel's internal tools advances to no longer need them but I am guessing here.

I gave him some suggestions on how to improve the eBay listing for this item since such rare and unusual items inherently will have people who have concerns and doubts. Rare expensive items always attract extra scrutiny, as they should be.

As for the price, I am leaving that up to him since he is the seller.

If you have further questions or concerns, message him via eBay.

Very cool info, Inspector Lathe :D Cool to hear some background on this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the seller, but I think you guys are missing the point. I'm not pointing fingers at this particular seller as some sort of witch hunt - my point is that there's zero evidence that this thing is in any way legit. "It's how I received it" counts for squat, frankly. Whether or not HE could create this is irrelevant, because unless his uncle is Bill Fisher, literally anything is possible. It very much looks like a modern creation. I'd love to see the board inside, or hell any kind of evidence that it's not something made in the past few years.

If you're gonna start an auction at the price of a cheap used car, you should at least have some shred of evidence that what you have is remotely worth what you're asking for it.

Maybe I'm just a fan of Occam, but to me it still seems far, far more likely for this to be a fake. Given that this particular one has never appeared before, protos of this nature (company hacks) never (?) appear in regular cart form, and there's never EVER been a proto for ANY system released like this... I guess there's a first time for everything.

Not my money to spend though, so have at 'er.

Thanks for the info on the seller, but I think you guys are missing the point. I'm not pointing fingers at this particular seller as some sort of witch hunt - my point is that there's zero evidence that this thing is in any way legit. "It's how I received it" counts for squat, frankly. Whether or not HE could create this is irrelevant, because unless his uncle is Bill Fisher, literally anything is possible. It very much looks like a modern creation. I'd love to see the board inside, or hell any kind of evidence that it's not something made in the past few years.

If you're gonna start an auction at the price of a cheap used car, you should at least have some shred of evidence that what you have is remotely worth what you're asking for it.

Maybe I'm just a fan of Occam, but to me it still seems far, far more likely for this to be a fake. Given that this particular one has never appeared before, protos of this nature (company hacks) never (?) appear in regular cart form, and there's never EVER been a proto for ANY system released like this... I guess there's a first time for everything.

Not my money to spend though, so have at 'er.

he should take it through an x-ray machine at a court house or something and then take a picture of it on the screen. It at least will give you an idea of what the board/chips looks like

he should take it through an x-ray machine at a court house or something and then take a picture of it on the screen. It at least will give you an idea of what the board/chips looks like

:lol: That's awesome!

If it does turn out to be the real thing, I'd consider it a pretty rare item indeed. Really hoping it gets dumped and shared, regardless. If I was wealthy, I'd buy it just to satisfy my curiosity and to get it dumped.

:lol: That's awesome!

If it does turn out to be the real thing, I'd consider it a pretty rare item indeed. Really hoping it gets dumped and shared, regardless. If I was wealthy, I'd buy it just to satisfy my curiosity and to get it dumped.

yeah. Ive been throwing it out there that i will gladly dump it. :) i hate that collectors hoard them without dumping them especially when they will never play it so it just becomes lost software to never be archived and preserved.
  • Like 1