IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Pretty sure it's this guy, hence my subtle clue.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/157462-intellivision-purchases-and-deals/?p=3176915

I cross referenced the serial number against the serial number database and found a match. Looked for an AA member with the same name and found a member with only a few posts, but discussing a recent KC aqcuisition. 8)

Yes, but I'm suggesting Daniel3302's KC has a better chance of being a black whale than Rick James' KC. Rick James' claim is based only on that it came in a suitcase.

Thanks for the link Jason. At least we know that the tape drive was spinning in 2015.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Yes, but I'm suggesting Daniel3302's KC has a better chance of being a black whale than Rick James' KC. Rick James' claim is based only on that it came in a suitcase.

Thanks for the link Jason. At least we know that the tape drive was spinning in 2015.

As mr_me says, Keyboard Components were used to test Intellivision games during development, rather than programming / coding the games, a task typically done on DEC mini-computers. With the possible exception of Joe Jacobs' and Dennis Clark's work on Bump N Jump, I also don't recall the suggestion being raised that development work was done away from the office environment prior to INTV starting up. Does anyone have a reference for this being done during the Mattel era, regardless of whether a Black Whale was involved?

I don't currently think there is strong evidence to suggest that the minor modification to the Keyboard Component mentioned on Intellivision Lives to convert it to a Black Whale was internal. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, again, I would be very interested in writing it up in the Development Description. The Black Whale features described by Keith and others (primarily a serial interface) might have been more easily added with an external 6502 or CP-1600 cartridge.

Therefore, personally I would view claims that a particular Keyboard Component is a Black Whale with a degree of scepticism, unless it is backed up with a clear description of the changes that have been made, or some provenance about its ownership and use.

Edited by decle

I wouldn't be surprised if programmers took equipment home for testing/research. We know Mike Minkoff did some development at home but that was for a handheld electronic game. And Eddie Dombrower did some work on his Apple II for World Series. But there is no reason to take a black whale home since it has to be hooked up to a minicomputer just to play a game. Actually, the people doing the BASIC tapes eg. crosswords, geography challenge, could have taken a blue whale home to do programming.

We have no idea about the black whale difference. There were no black whales at APh but someone at Mattel in 1983 might know, someone technical with a good memory.

I bet we wont even see what it was, because it will not be met at any point. Well, I guess you know that I think that, because I said it from the start ^^ Reserve is the most stupid thing Ebay ever introduced. Sellers should just say what they want at least.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

I wonder if the overlays on the right are original orphan overlays or from the Flashback set.

The Mattel overlays are definitely Intellivision Productions reprints from the flashback supplementary overlay set.

I bet we wont even see what it was, because it will not be met at any point. Well, I guess you know that I think that, because I said it from the start ^^ Reserve is the most stupid thing Ebay ever introduced. Sellers should just say what they want at least.

And I suppose buyers should reveal the maximum they are willing pay. If they start the bidding at their reserve price, it would discourage buyers from bidding and you wont get a sense of what people are willing to pay. The reserve at least gives the seller the option of accepting the high bid below the reserve. There's other ways ebay auctions can be improved. Edited by mr_me

A reserve is supposed to be a guarantee used in live auctions to keep something from going well below market value on a fluke such as a low bidder turnout or access issues the day of the auction. It is designed to provide protection to sellers for very expensive items such as cars, boats, rare art, real estate, etc. Even something as pricey to us as a Keyboard Component is an item that falls far below the value standard of anything worthy of a reserve. Sellers make a big mistake by using reserves on relatively inexpensive items as it usually has the effect of driving off bidders who think it's pointless since the reserve will most likely never be met.

If your item is worth well below the $10,000 mark, it is better to simply list the opening price point at or just below the amount you are willing to part with it for than to drive away potential bidders with a badly misplaced reserve. eBay did everyone a disservice by enabling this feature for all auctions and not just in certain categories or value levels.

• Like 2

And I suppose buyers should reveal the maximum they are willing pay. If they start the bidding at their reserve price, it would discourage buyers from bidding and you wont get a sense of what people are willing to pay. The reserve at least gives the seller the option of accepting the high bid below the reserve. There's other ways ebay auctions can be improved.

There is already the option as BiN with price suggestions, so auctions with reserved is just the same in a more attention whore way.

I never collected the demo carts for a reason,

I cant play them and they are way too much money!

Yeah, if it was boxed it would be the last of the Red/Blue/Green set for me.

Yah the red boxes tend to be ugly at auction. Glad I have mine

I know you have at least two. I just haven't found a suitible trade item for you. :-) I'll have to gold plate a prototype of something I'm working on.