IGNORED

Keeping your word in the Atari Marketplace

Coleco Gemini

I think in general people get too emotional about the prospect of buying something. Gemni did it in this thread. Chris did in the Genesis thread. Others have done it in the various side deal threads.

I actually lucked out here on AA and got a PastFinder for $30. But if someone beat me to it or the deal didn't go through I sure as hell wouldn't raise my blood pressure bitching about it.

I think in general people get too emotional about the prospect of buying something. Gemni did it in this thread. Chris did in the Genesis thread. Others have done it in the various side deal threads.

I actually lucked out here on AA and got a PastFinder for $30. But if someone beat me to it or the deal didn't go through I sure as hell wouldn't raise my blood pressure bitching about it.

When someone says 'make a deal and you have a deal' what does that mean to you? And then magically after 4 months it is sold? it is odd to me, hence my posting.

When someone says 'make a deal and you have a deal' what does that mean to you? And then magically after 4 months it is sold? it is odd to me, hence my posting.

IMHO when someone says "make a deal and you have a deal", the "deal" they are referring to implies acceptance and follow-through by both parties- otherwise, your "deal" could have been for $1 (or $20 which is also rather low) and the seller would have to accept, which of course they don't...

I believe this point has already been made.

BTW, I will keep my eye out for one for you, as I am sure others will now that we know you are looking for one. :cool:

Edited by Tubular Gearhead

Wow-- I think I'm gonna go buy something from Chris just because of this thread. And he don't even sell stuff I collect. :)

In my world, a "Deal" is only struck when an offer is made and accepted. And a fair or good deal is one that both parties are happy with immediately. Haggling is fine if it's face to face, but is much tougher to get upset about as a buyer in an online world when it doesn't go your way. It seems obvious to me that the buyer here didn't value the item very much, or if he did and was willing to pay significantly more, shorted himself by offering less than a third of what it was actually worth to him. Seller said make him a deal, and buyer made him a lowball offer-- much different than a fair deal price. (Given Chris' explanation, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway, and I have no reason to doubt him or call him dishonest because of it. Although, my assumption is the actual buyer would have had their money refunded had Chris actually 'accepted' another offer-- accepted being the key word here.)

The Seller has *no* obligation in my mind to tell a potential buyer someone else offered more or less. He might have sold it for $10 and a picture of someone's sister. That's up to him. There's no rule that says a person *has* to take the highest or best offer (see the story of Cliff Lee, the Yankees, and $50 million)-- after all it's his to sell or do as he pleases with, and he could just as easily have said he decided not to sell at all and used it to start a toxic Christmas fire.

Cool things you're doing with the kids, Coleco Gemini. But I think starting this thread has hurt your standing with a large group of members who could have really helped your cause via sales or even lending you items to help.

I was not saying who was right or wrong, just that potential buyers seem to be very emotional lately. Not just you, but even Chris as well in his Genesis thread.

If I was the seller and I told you what Chris did then it would mean that if we could make a deal then I would sell it to you. I would probably turn down other offers (even from those who expressed an interest in the past) until we had agreed to do the deal or not. However, if someone who showed an interest in the past was saying to me, "I can PayPal you $XX now", then I would tell you that we have to close this deal as I have someone ready to pay that expressed an interest in the past.

I see your point. I really do.

However, if I want something I don't send in a totally lowball offer either. In fact I despise haggling over price. I really do. Both as a buyer and seller.

Actually, I have never heard anyone use the phrase "make a deal and you have a deal". If you look at the literal language, it means nothing. It's like saying "if we reach a deal then we have a deal". It seems you interpreted that as "if I make an offer, any offer, you have to accept it." Personally, if someone e-mailed that to me, I would interpret it to mean "if I make a reasonable offer that the buyer accepts, we have a deal". Until someone says to me, "I accept your offer, here's my Paypal address", I assume that it can be sold to anyone else and that there is no deal.

I agree that the seller could have been more clear about what that phrase meant, but I don't think either side was really clear about the deal and as such, I don't have an issue with the seller accepting an offer 5 times what yours was from a buyer who had expressed at least some interest long before you came along. I also have to agree with Ianoid that this whole line about doing presentations for kids has nothing to do with anything and is frankly offensive. Lots of us do charity work or donate to charity and we would never mention it in the hopes of getting a deal on something. While you might be planning to use this in some school program, ultimately, it's gonna end up in your collection, so it's not like it's an entirely charitable effort.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 1

Now that I've heard Chris's side of the story I stand by 'poor communication' like I said eariler. Chris should have probaly worded that better to you and hopefully he'll learn from this and do that from now on. Anytime I've sold anything on here and someone has asked eariler I'll say 'X number of people have contacted me allready about this' and so on.

Poor communication? Its a MARKETPLACE.... It goes without saying taht there may be other interested parties. He's under no obligation to make that clear and under no obligation to accept your offer or to counteroffer, even if he has no other offer.

• Like 1

There's no deal until you pony up the cash. I've had plenty of these types of "deals" in the past, actually ones that were more concrete than this and then the buyer mysteriously disappears for a few months, only to reappear and ask if the stuff is still for sale (which it wasn't). I wasnt going to wait 3 months to honour a deal for someone that is no longer responding to PMs after a month.

• Like 1

Wow-- I think I'm gonna go buy something from Chris just because of this thread. And he don't even sell stuff I collect. :)

In my world, a "Deal" is only struck when an offer is made and accepted. And a fair or good deal is one that both parties are happy with immediately. Haggling is fine if it's face to face, but is much tougher to get upset about as a buyer in an online world when it doesn't go your way. It seems obvious to me that the buyer here didn't value the item very much, or if he did and was willing to pay significantly more, shorted himself by offering less than a third of what it was actually worth to him. Seller said make him a deal, and buyer made him a lowball offer-- much different than a fair deal price. (Given Chris' explanation, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway, and I have no reason to doubt him or call him dishonest because of it. Although, my assumption is the actual buyer would have had their money refunded had Chris actually 'accepted' another offer-- accepted being the key word here.)

The Seller has *no* obligation in my mind to tell a potential buyer someone else offered more or less. He might have sold it for $10 and a picture of someone's sister. That's up to him. There's no rule that says a person *has* to take the highest or best offer (see the story of Cliff Lee, the Yankees, and $50 million)-- after all it's his to sell or do as he pleases with, and he could just as easily have said he decided not to sell at all and used it to start a toxic Christmas fire.

Cool things you're doing with the kids, Coleco Gemini. But I think starting this thread has hurt your standing with a large group of members who could have really helped your cause via sales or even lending you items to help.

Thanks for the $$$'s..the kids will be able to eat for christmas dinner this year!icon_mrgreen.gif

I didn't know this stuff was worth $80+ :o

So let me get this straight...you offered $20 for something that was worth 4 to 5 times that, didn't get a counter offer because he had much better offers on the table (and your offer sucked) yet you expect our sympathy because you LOWBALLED him and say you are mad because of ethics!! Many would say offering 20% to 30% of the value of an item is pretty bad ethics. I would just stop answering posts in this topic if I were you because you are going to make more enemies than friends. Not cool :thumbsdown: :|

• Like 3

As a seller here, my goal is to, obviously, sell my goods.

Never once did the OP (original poster) say he'd like it on hold, and never did the seller say there was a deal (only that if the offer was good enough, it would be a deal).

My policy here, like most, is whoever pays first, gets it first. Just as I make rules that only offers made in PM count, because I don't want to keep track of both PM and forum time stamps.

I, like Chris, aren't here to make kids happy. Is it nice to? Sure. But we're here to sell items. Think of it this way. You go into a used game store. You see a SNES system you want. You ask him how much he wants, and he says if you want to make a deal, give him an offer he can't refuse. You ask the guy if he'd take $4 for it (extremely low offer, like yours). He turns to another guy immediately after your crap offer, who has a hundred dollars in hand and hands it to the clerk.

Guess what? YOU AREN'T ENTITLED TO THE SNES. It's the same here, just on a forum in PMs.

Most of us (myself included) have made "sour grapes" posts when we were new on this (or another) forum. However, usually when the seller comes and explains himself in plain English what happened, the topic ends. While "get over it and move on" sounds insincere, it's true. Please take these other member's advice and just drop it, lest you want to ruin your reputation further for a "deal" that never got to deal status in the first place.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Now that I've heard Chris's side of the story I stand by 'poor communication' like I said eariler. Chris should have probaly worded that better to you and hopefully he'll learn from this and do that from now on. Anytime I've sold anything on here and someone has asked eariler I'll say 'X number of people have contacted me allready about this' and so on.

Poor communication? Its a MARKETPLACE.... It goes without saying taht there may be other interested parties. He's under no obligation to make that clear and under no obligation to accept your offer or to counteroffer, even if he has no other offer.

So I guess I'm overly nice, then. :P

Actually, I have never heard anyone use the phrase "make a deal and you have a deal". If you look at the literal language, it means nothing. It's like saying "if we reach a deal then we have a deal". It seems you interpreted that as "if I make an offer, any offer, you have to accept it." Personally, if someone e-mailed that to me, I would interpret it to mean "if I make a reasonable offer that the buyer accepts, we have a deal". Until someone says to me, "I accept your offer, here's my Paypal address", I assume that it can be sold to anyone else and that there is no deal.

I agree that the seller could have been more clear about what that phrase meant, but I don't think either side was really clear about the deal and as such, I don't have an issue with the seller accepting an offer 5 times what yours was from a buyer who had expressed at least some interest long before you came along. I also have to agree with Ianoid that this whole line about doing presentations for kids has nothing to do with anything and is frankly offensive. Lots of us do charity work or donate to charity and we would never mention it in the hopes of getting a deal on something. While you might be planning to use this in some school program, ultimately, it's gonna end up in your collection, so it's not like it's an entirely charitable effort.

Well obviously and how is it offensive? perhaps you need to buy a dictionary! And it is not about getting a 'deal' I felt that is all it was worth, and as I thought that is all it is worth, as I bought one today, NEW IN THE BOX with the tape still on the box for $30, unused, and it is still white not yellowed! So, I think my offer was more than fair

There's no deal until you pony up the cash. I've had plenty of these types of "deals" in the past, actually ones that were more concrete than this and then the buyer mysteriously disappears for a few months, only to reappear and ask if the stuff is still for sale (which it wasn't). I wasnt going to wait 3 months to honour a deal for someone that is no longer responding to PMs after a month.

this was over the course of just a few hours not months....

I didn't know this stuff was worth $80+ :o

So let me get this straight...you offered $20 for something that was worth 4 to 5 times that, didn't get a counter offer because he had much better offers on the table (and your offer sucked) yet you expect our sympathy because you LOWBALLED him and say you are mad because of ethics!! Many would say offering 20% to 30% of the value of an item is pretty bad ethics. I would just stop answering posts in this topic if I were you because you are going to make more enemies than friends. Not cool :thumbsdown: :|

If something that happened, which was true, and stated here 'makes enemies' that is insane and perhaps I am glad that I do not do business with some here! The bottom line is, that the offer was fair, as I just got one for $30 in the box (with games)! (with all the plugs!), Chris, made it sound like no one else wanted it, and that if I made an offer we had a deal, perhaps poor wording on his part, because I take people at their word, Chris, took more money (nothing wrong with that), but, it was the way in which the entire thing occurred, (which is still suspect) not the way I do business whatsoever, and I have already described way up this post how I would have handled it myself. And as for my kids, that is the primary reason of buying things, some have suggested that I have somehow used that, but, in this chaotic subject, others have made it that way, which is ridiculous, (I was asked a long time back why I needed it). When one can personally insult someone about something outside of a situation, it shows how low the other people are. I NEVER insulted Chris personally, as I do not know him at all, I have however, questioned his business sense, and how he handles deals or perspective deals. I however, have been insulted personally and in the most childish manner possible, which shows, I notice this is mostly from the younger members, who have yet to have any wisdom or knowledge about anything. But, this situation was poorly handled, and Chris, from now on, choose your words wisely.

It wouldnt matter if it were over a few seconds. It takes an offer, acceptance and the flow of consideration to have a "deal". The bottom line is, if you dont pony up the cash you dont have a deal and you have no right to flame the guy publically for not accepting your offer, regardless of any representations he may or may not ahve made.

• Like 2

It wouldnt matter if it were over a few seconds. It takes an offer, acceptance and the flow of consideration to have a "deal". The bottom line is, if you dont pony up the cash you dont have a deal and you have no right to flame the guy publically for not accepting your offer, regardless of any representations he may or may not ahve made.

It was not about accepting or not accepting, it is the wordage, in your post you made it sound like it took me months to respond, all of which was covered in earlier posts, but this is the problem with this situation and the internet, we dont really know the intention or context of what someone else is saying, so, we get all these notions, of what someone may be trying to convey

It was not about accepting or not accepting, it is the wordage, in your post you made it sound like it took me months to respond, all of which was covered in earlier posts, but this is the problem with this situation and the internet, we dont really know the intention or context of what someone else is saying, so, we get all these notions, of what someone may be trying to convey

My post was an example to highlight how unreasonable it is to expect a seller to hold out just because you have shown interest in his items. I wasn;t implying that you took months to respond.