IGNORED

Games done better on the "technically inferior" console

mbd30

Not sure which is technically inferior or superior, but when i got One on One for my ColecoVision, i expected more on the CV version.Boy was i wrong on that one!The 7800 version is miles better.At least the players look like people on the 7800, vs Gingerbread Men on the CV version. :rolling:

• Like 1

Donkey Kong on VCS is my favorite version. I have it on Intellivision, NES, Colecovision, and soon on 7800, but VCS Kong rules.

First screen on VCS is the only version like the arcade, 7 platforms.

I really like the VCS Donkey Kong as well, because it looks good and is fun. But I think the Atari 800 version is about as good as it gets.

I agree that 2600 DK is a great game.Also that game has the most recognized game sounds.I constantly hear 2600 DK sounds in TV commercials.

• Like 1

Not sure which is technically inferior or superior, but when i got One on One for my ColecoVision, i expected more on the CV version.Boy was i wrong on that one!The 7800 version is miles better.At least the players look like people on the 7800, vs Gingerbread Men on the CV version. :rolling:

:lol: gingerbread men..

• Like 2

:lol: gingerbread men..

Yeah i know, but seriously, that's what they look like!!I wish that wasn't the case because the ColecoVision is capable of more than that, it's a shame.

• Like 1

Gb tetris was one of the most addicting tetris games. Second was a tetris where there was an earthquake after every line, disorientating the player.

I prefer atari 2600 dig dug over the arcade.

Same goes for nes tmnt 2 which enhances the arcade version with two extra stages.

Also turtles in time does the same to the snes, adding extra stages and bosses.

I also prefer the amiga version of wonder boy in monster land and shinobi,due to the colors and the music.

• Like 1

Tetris on the NES is one of the best NES games, and beats later attempts on the DS, N64, etc.

Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart title even beating out later attempts on the GC, DS and Wii.

I agree! I love Mario Kart 64 the best. I think it has the best tracks and the right balance of graphic bling vs. playability.

• Like 2

Tetris on the NES is one of the best NES games, and beats later attempts on the DS, N64, etc.

Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart title even beating out later attempts on the GC, DS and Wii.

I agree! I love Mario Kart 64 the best. I think it has the best tracks and the right balance of graphic bling vs. playability.

mk64 is easily the best multiplayer game ever and reason why i never graduated from college.

Virtua Fighter on the 32X is a lot better than Virtua Fighter on the Saturn. (not counting Remix or VF2).

There are a number of genesis games that are better than their SNES counterparts (Thunder Force III > Thunder Spirits) but I don't think the SNES is necessarily technically superior to the Genesis in all respects. While the SNES had more memory and a much larger color palette (amongst other things) the Genesis was indeed quite a bit faster.

EDIT: Oh yeah same for Virtua Racing. The 32X port is a lot better, but I believe thats because AM2 did the port themselves while the Saturn version was done by a third party.

Edited by eatenbygrues

Donkey Kong on VCS is my favorite version. I have it on Intellivision, NES, Colecovision, and soon on 7800, but VCS Kong rules.

First screen on VCS is the only version like the arcade, 7 platforms.

I really like the VCS Donkey Kong as well, because it looks good and is fun. But I think the Atari 800 version is about as good as it gets.

I agree that 2600 DK is a great game.Also that game has the most recognized game sounds.I constantly hear 2600 DK sounds in TV commercials.

played dk 2600 for the first time last, night, the control is very tight. in spite of dk himself looking like the gingerbread man, it's a great game!! visually comparing it to the NES or 7800 isn't fair, the gameplay is just as tight.

Edited by toptenmaterial
  • Like 1

I found this thread interesting, because everybody is right in one way or another. I read somewhere that people in another country actually prefer the 2600 PacMan to the arcade, because it is the only thing they knew PacMan to be. Likewise, I personally think the 5200 MarioBros blows away more advanced systems, because it has animation that many other systems are mission. I know the shortcomings of that version, but it's the one that holds the most memories for me. I read another thread where somebody bashed it for being kind of slow (which it is compared to the arcade). Likewise, I could never prefer the Master System Sonic over the Genesis, but I think it's totally cool that somebody does. It means that we are all here for the RIGHT reasons. It's sharing what made the classics special to us as individuals.

• Like 1

I found this thread interesting, because everybody is right in one way or another. I read somewhere that people in another country actually prefer the 2600 PacMan to the arcade, because it is the only thing they knew PacMan to be. Likewise, I personally think the 5200 MarioBros blows away more advanced systems, because it has animation that many other systems are mission. I know the shortcomings of that version, but it's the one that holds the most memories for me. I read another thread where somebody bashed it for being kind of slow (which it is compared to the arcade). Likewise, I could never prefer the Master System Sonic over the Genesis, but I think it's totally cool that somebody does. It means that we are all here for the RIGHT reasons. It's sharing what made the classics special to us as individuals.

yes! thank you!

I think the C64 port of Power Drift is more fun (and playable) than the Turbografx 16 version. While the TG16 version has sprites that look close to the arcade, the choppiness kills the effect. The C64 version doesn't look as good sprite wise, but the scaling is way better.

As I recently posted I would definitely definitely add 2600 Gravitar to this list. Okay maybe not as graphically well done as the coin op but the 2600 version challenge level is a better fit (in other words I can manage it)

Yes! I also prefer the 2600 version of Gravitar for the play and the graphics. I like the chunky 2600 graphics better than the smooth, empty looking vectors. Same for the 2600 Battlezone over the arcade version.