IGNORED

Looking for 8bit FTP Archive to Upload disk images

Orion72

Hi all,

I have managed to transfer about 50 8-bit disk images from the 1980's Genesee Atari group library to ATR format, as well as have a number of self-designed BASIC games I wrote in the late 80's that am cleaning up and transferring to ATR format.

All disk images are public domain, freeware, or shareware.

Since I went through the trouble of converting these to ATR, I would like to upload them to an 8-bit FTP archive so others may enjoy them. However, I went through several FTP sites on the XL Search archive and couldn't find any that allow public FTP upload anymore. I even sent email to a few contacts listed for the FTP sites and the responses I received indicated that the FTP sites were only available in read only mode or the person was no longer doing any active work with them.

Does anyone know if there are any Atari 8 bit FTP archive sites left that allow public uploads? If not any suggestions on other ways I could put these disk images on the 'Net for public consumption?

thanks!

-Kevin

You could just post them here.

Maybe Atarimania would host them if they fall into the games or utility category. If they're demos then Fandal would probably pick them up.

I don't know if any of the old FTP sites are actively updating anymore, new releases tend to end up at the places I've mentioned near to first anyway.

Hi all,

I have managed to transfer about 50 8-bit disk images from the 1980's Genesee Atari group library to ATR format, as well as have a number of self-designed BASIC games I wrote in the late 80's that am cleaning up and transferring to ATR format.

All disk images are public domain, freeware, or shareware.

Since I went through the trouble of converting these to ATR, I would like to upload them to an 8-bit FTP archive so others may enjoy them. However, I went through several FTP sites on the XL Search archive and couldn't find any that allow public FTP upload anymore. I even sent email to a few contacts listed for the FTP sites and the responses I received indicated that the FTP sites were only available in read only mode or the person was no longer doing any active work with them.

Does anyone know if there are any Atari 8 bit FTP archive sites left that allow public uploads? If not any suggestions on other ways I could put these disk images on the 'Net for public consumption?

thanks!

-Kevin

Curios how long it took to get the 50 images...i have 1600 disks's from another user group..

Hi all,

thanks!

-Kevin

Curios how long it took to get the 50 images...i have 1600 disks's from another user group..

I used SIO2PC cable and software to transfer the images from a 1050 drive to PC. Each transfer took about 3 minutes - which includes loading a blank ATR disk image, executing the duplicate disk command, waiting for duplicate operation to complete, then running the command to write image to disk. During the course of doing this I would go back and forth to do other things but I'm guessing it was about 2 hours total.

-Kevin

You could just post them here.

Maybe Atarimania would host them if they fall into the games or utility category. If they're demos then Fandal would probably pick them up.

I don't know if any of the old FTP sites are actively updating anymore, new releases tend to end up at the places I've mentioned near to first anyway.

Those sound like good options. :)

Attached is a ZIP containing various ATR images transferred from the Genesee Atari Group library. They consist of collections of public domain, freeware, shareware (or commercial software later released to public domain) that were from either BBS systems or obtained through swaps with other Atari groups in the 1980's. I'm certain much of it may be available elsewhere but there may be a lot of stuff that didn't make it to the various Atari archives.

Mostly games but there are some utilities. All images are bootable - BASIC required in most cases. If using emulator boot with BASIC ROM/cartridge enabled, if on actual Atari use built-in BASIC or BASIC cartridge.

If anyone seeing this thread has access to post these on Atarimania, feel free to do so. I will also pursue the suggested routes to try finding a permanent home for them.

thanks

-Kevin

Genesee_Atari_Group-8bit-disks.zip

Edited by Orion72
  • Like 1

Below is a video I made a few weeks ago. It shows the fastest way to get an image from Atari to PC. I am using a 1050 US Doubled drive which does 3X SIO, and APE on the PC side with a USB based SIO2PC interface. The copy program I use works perfectly with a PoKey divisor of 0 which gives roughly 6kB/sec. My machine has 320kB so any disks can be copied single pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEiIhNf204

Below is a video I made a few weeks ago. It shows the fastest way to get an image from Atari to PC. I am using a 1050 US Doubled drive which does 3X SIO, and APE on the PC side with a USB based SIO2PC interface. The copy program I use works perfectly with a PoKey divisor of 0 which gives roughly 6kB/sec. My machine has 320kB so any disks can be copied single pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEiIhNf204

Yeah, but you can save the first 55 seconds. 3x SIO is nothing special. But then writing with Divisor 0, wow! :)

Yeah, but you can save the first 55 seconds. 3x SIO is nothing special. But then writing with Divisor 0, wow! :)

If you are reading / writing images already on the PC you can save that. However, JohnnyBritish wanted to know how long it took to take a real floppy disk and get it to the PC. Since I cannot read Atari floppies directly on the PC (and I assume most others cannot), I figured this would be the most realistic way of backing up the disks.

You are correct - divisor 0 is amazing for SIO transfers. But it is still well over 10 times slower than flashcatjazz's MyIDE driver for Sparta Dos X (using hard drives). It's amazing the speed potential that was locked up in these little Ataris for the past 30 years!

If you are reading / writing images already on the PC you can save that. However, JohnnyBritish wanted to know how long it took to take a real floppy disk and get it to the PC. Since I cannot read Atari floppies directly on the PC (and I assume most others cannot), I figured this would be the most realistic way of backing up the disks.

You are correct - divisor 0 is amazing for SIO transfers. But it is still well over 10 times slower than flashcatjazz's MyIDE driver for Sparta Dos X (using hard drives). It's amazing the speed potential that was locked up in these little Ataris for the past 30 years!

Yes,

I have 1600 floppies and 4 1050 drrives, i want to turn them all into atr images then put them onto a dvd complete with a text directory listing of each disk so they can be searched on a pc. Hoping to get this complete in 2011..dont like having 1600 disks with all that data stuck in boxes.

Yes,

I have 1600 floppies and 4 1050 drrives, i want to turn them all into atr images then put them onto a dvd complete with a text directory listing of each disk so they can be searched on a pc. Hoping to get this complete in 2011..dont like having 1600 disks with all that data stuck in boxes.

That's going to be a rather large undertaking! Definitely try to use the setup I showed - you'll love the time savings. I believe there is a homebrew adapter and AspeQt (free) that should give you the ultra fast speed when writing to the PC.

Good luck with this project! To date I have backed up around 245 floppies.

• 9 years later...
On 12/21/2010 at 11:06 PM, Orion72 said:

Attached is a ZIP containing various ATR images transferred from the Genesee Atari Group library. They consist of collections of public domain, freeware, shareware (or commercial software later released to public domain) that were from either BBS systems or obtained through swaps with other Atari groups in the 1980's. I'm certain much of it may be available elsewhere but there may be a lot of stuff that didn't make it to the various Atari archives.

Mostly games but there are some utilities. All images are bootable - BASIC required in most cases. If using emulator boot with BASIC ROM/cartridge enabled, if on actual Atari use built-in BASIC or BASIC cartridge.

If anyone seeing this thread has access to post these on Atarimania, feel free to do so. I will also pursue the suggested routes to try finding a permanent home for them.

thanks

-Kevin

Genesee_Atari_Group-8bit-disks.zip 1.9 MB · 191 downloads

Good morning!

I had several disks in my collection here that are missing from the archive posted (above), so I am including them in an updated ZIP archive. I did not verify a side-B on any disks unless the disk itself was notched. Also, if a filename has (E) after it, then there were errors and the logfile will hopefully provide the necessary information.

--Tim

An Atari owner

Genesee Atari Group.zip

• Like 1