IGNORED

Your best thrift find ever

tz101

Hmm...there have been some good ones over the years:

-River Raid II and Subterranea at GW (at the same time!) for 1.99 each

-Dreadnaught Factor, Centipede, River Raid, Mind Strike (Intellivision) at GW for .99 each

-2 heavy sixer joysticks and set of H6 paddles all for 5.00

-Apple IIe, DuoDisk, color monitor...ALL for 3.00

-2 CIB Microvision games for 3.00 each

-JVC X'Eye with PSU, RF switch, and JVC controller...10.00

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

I've had other pretty good deals outside of thrifts, too. Such as:

-TI-99/4a with Peripheral Expansion Unit, Speech Synthesizer, about 30 cartridges, Atari joystick adapter, dual cassette cord, about 12 TI programming books, new old stock unopened replacement keyboard, and some other extra stuff...all for 10.00 (craigslist)

-CIB Aquarius [Video Game & Computer System] with boxed Mini Expander with controllers and 4 CIB games, plus Miner 2049er for Colecovision, all for 30.00 (craigslist)

-Huge lot of NES, Odyssey 2, Genesis, and Pong stuff, including an NES 2/toploader as well as a toaster NES, CIB Atlantis and all 3 Master Strategy games CIB for Odyssey 2, about 100 NES games, 30-40 Genesis games, 30-ish Odyssey 2 games, a CIB Odyssey 2 system, a Genesis I and a gaggle of Pong clones for $200. (craigslist) Not really a steal, but a pretty good deal considering everything that was included.

-Apple IIe Platinum, Commodore 64, Boxed Atari 800XL, and disk drives, controllers, monitors, and about 100 floppies (mostly games) for each for 50.00 (craigslist)

I love Alien Invasion on the Channel F. :) I actually turned a friend of mine into a Channel F fan (kind of) with that game. :D

all 3 zelda games (link: faces of evil, zelda: wand of gamelon, zelda's adventure), and hotel mario for the CD-i. all the original U.S. releases, cases and sleeves. $25.

if you sold those seperately on eBay that would have been a very nice profit margin

my finds - working mega-cd console for $12 at cashies and 7800 ikari warriors $4

Edited by Shroo-man

It would have been a 2600 DEV console, but i passed on it not knowing what it was until i asked here.I went back to get it 30 minutes later and it was gone.I thought it was a crude mod done by someone. :dunce: So the best thrift find ever would be the super mint Sunnyvale heavy-6 i found at Value Village for $39.99.Lesson learned?, you bet.I learned not to pass anything up especially know since this stuff is getting harder and harder to find!

Edited by Rik

Current top find:

CIB Commodore 128 w/ AV cable (yes, AV...I think it's offbrand) and AC adapter

1702 Monitor w/o front flap

1571 Disk Drive with serial cable and power cable

Large lot of Commodore Disks, Software Manuals, and Hardware Manuals

A couple of offbrand joysticks

All with a sticker saying "Free to a good home".

I've traded away pretty much all of it (minus the software) but it started my love of Commodore - now I have:

CIB Breadbox 64

CIB 1702 w/ front flap

CIB C2N-B Datasette

CIB Koala Pad

1541 Disk Drive (fits breadbox better)

Tons of software (including carts, disks and tapes)

and I am working of acquiring a CIB 1541 with an original Commodore joystick :D

oh how far I've come!

A couple of years ago, I stumbled over a video game store that was going out of business and everything was dirt cheap. I bought about 100 PS2 games complete, most still shrink-wrapped for $1 each and about 300 PS1 games (mostly disk only) for 5 cents to 15 cents each.

Thrifts aren't usually silly-cheap, but I have found many consoles over the years (VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, 7800, N64, PSone, NES, SNES, genny, 32X, saturn, dreamcast, plus all sorts of gameboys, gamegear, virtual boy) for under five bucks. Not as many in the last couple of years, though.

Flea markets and yard sales have been the best over the years: CDX complete with 3 pack-in games $15, Virtual Boy in box with 5 games $5, SNES floppy disk: $1, Turbo Express with 30 games $30, and countless other similar situations. That's usually the best value: they don't want it and you do. :)

I found a bunch of microcontroller development kits one time. A few boxes of boards, power adapters etc, for $20 total. Most of the kits were worth about $100 or so online. Extremely niche items that a few people look desperately for, not something that belongs on the shelf in a random goodwill getting strewn around and ruined.

Not me, but my brother once found a CIB Contra at Salvation Army for $3 (he beat me to it :mad: )

MY best thrift find ever was a boxed Rayman 2 for Nintendo 64. Pathetic, I know, but my friggen' brother ALWAYS beats me to the good stuff. I just better find a CIB Panzer Dragoon Saga for $5 or something so I can say I have actually had an "incredible find".

Where do I start? Well, I found a 5200 complete with 3 games for $5 at a thrift store, an Intellivision for $6 with a mound of games, and entertainment center, then various 2600's for 5 bucks, NES sets, etc. Not to mention my recent stash find of $40 which included 80 games and Swordquest Waterworld and the prototype cartridge which I sold, though that was not in a thrift store