IGNORED

Atari 5200 Z-Adventure Homebrew

Albert

/development_page.html?InDevelopmentID=51John Swiderski, author of Haunted House II 3-D and Combat II Advanced for the 5200, is now developing his third 5200 title, tentatively titled Z-Adventure. Gameplay will be similar to a combination of Zelda 1 for the NES and Zelda Gameboy, but with more strategy and puzzle solving than quick joystick action. The game will feature bad guys and battles, but toned down to a level the 5200 joystick can handle. Only the gameplay will be similar to Zelda, the story itself will completely new. We've posted screenshots here, showing the game's early progress.

Nintendo cant complain about tile adventures. They have no proprietary interest in such a format - that's public domain.

The thing though that they have is the rights to Zelda - that's their Trademark - they may get a bit touchy with that...

And dont forget Ultima has been around since the early early 80s or even the late 70s so I dont think that Ultima would ever have violated Zelda...

;)

I don't see a problem with a Zelda imitator for the 5200, as long as the programmer can make such a game happen and it doesn't offend any existing copyrights. Some "imitation Zeldas" like Neutopia I & II for the TurboGrafx-16 and Golden Axe Warrior for the Sega Master System have existed without any problems, unless there's something I don't entirely know.

I will be posting an update to Albert on Monday. What you can't see from this demo is that the screens are not static. I have a drawing program that allows me to compress the number of screens i'm going to need to fit it onto 32k. Wait till you see the demo on monday. :)

Anyway, the story and the name are quite up in the air at this point. Even the look is going to change as I progress. I have some ideas and directions but input is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

John

I am glad to be able to bring some good games to the 5200. I am working toward a goal that Atari should have done but didn't. It seems most game systems get a last great game that utilizes all the secrets and hidden power the machine has before it gets retired. Sort of like double dragon on the 2600 or, Super Mario 3 on Nes or Sonic 3d For the genesis. The 5200 was just cast aside to early. Esspecially since the 5200 was essentialy a computer anyway! Oh well, hopefully this will be one of those games. :)

It seems most game systems get a last great game that utilizes all the secrets and hidden power the machine has before it gets retired. Sort of like double dragon on the 2600

Right on!

I'd say just change the title, Z-Adventure, Zelda's Adventure, probably not a big risk, but better safe than sorry.

Well, I emailed Albert the new binary but he's been so busy with that other thread. Poor guy. :) anyway, soon as he gets it uploaded you will get to see some nice new screen shots and download and test it out for yourself.

I just spent a few minutes playing it and emailed you some comments. :)

..Al

Neat stuff all the way around. I look forward to seeing this and Adventure 2.

Wish I had time to work on a 5200 game. I have three designs for 5200 games laying around...but I work in game development all day long for my real job, so it's a little hard to get motivated to do more game work in my off hours.