IGNORED

Atari BAS file to TXT conversion

Is there any converter that can convert BAS basic files from atari to PC TXT files and back again (PC/TXT ==> ATR/BAS) ? I have extracted BAS files from ATR image using MakeATR , but when I convert them using Atari800Win (atascii to ascii) it doesn;t make them into readable form. Any suggestions please?

You have to use the ENTER/LIST commands.

SAVE/LOAD deals with programs in tokenised form.

Another easy way to deal with stuff is to just set the P: Virtual handler to use Notepad. Then you can just load a program, and LIST "P"

Then you can just cut/paste from the Notepad window that it opens up.

This won't really help for the Control character graphics - there aren't really direct Windows equivalents for those.

Edited by Rybags

You have to use the ENTER/LIST commands.

SAVE/LOAD deals with programs in tokenised form.

Another easy way to deal with stuff is to just set the P: Virtual handler to use Notepad. Then you can just load a program, and LIST "P"

Then you can just cut/paste from the Notepad window that it opens up.

This won't really help for the Control character graphics - there aren't really direct Windows equivalents for those.

I will not be useing any special characters. No problem with that. OK, I have saved Basic program using Enter"d1:xxx.bas" - error showed 137 TRUNC. :(

Is there any converter that can convert BAS basic files from atari to PC TXT files and back again (PC/TXT ==> ATR/BAS) ? I have extracted BAS files from ATR image using MakeATR , but when I convert them using Atari800Win (atascii to ascii) it doesn;t make them into readable form. Any suggestions please?

LOAD your .BAS SAVEd file and LIST FILE.LST to disk.

Now use something to extract the .LSTed file from the .ATR, like IMAGEMAN.COM for single dens DOS 2/2.5/MYDOS .ATRs on PC.

Now use a ATASCII to ASCII converter like my command line version, eg ata2asc2 FILE.LST makes a FILE.ASC.

Now you can edit in notepad and save your edited file to FILE2.ASC.

Then you can convert back to ATASCII with ASC2ATA2.EXE eg. asc2ata2 FILE2.ASC makes a FILE2.LST ATASCII.

Three programs here, all PC files. I also have a ATAS to ASC and ASC to ATAS for the A8, but seldom use them.

ATAASC.ZIP

LOAD your .BAS SAVEd file and LIST FILE.LST to disk.

Now use something to extract the .LSTed file from the .ATR, like IMAGEMAN.COM for single dens DOS 2/2.5/MYDOS .ATRs on PC.

Now use a ATASCII to ASCII converter like my command line version, eg ata2asc2 FILE.LST makes a FILE.ASC.

Now you can edit in notepad and save your edited file to FILE2.ASC.

Then you can convert back to ATASCII with ASC2ATA2.EXE eg. asc2ata2 FILE2.ASC makes a FILE2.LST ATASCII.

Three programs here, all PC files. I also have a ATAS to ASC and ASC to ATAS for the A8, but seldom use them.

Thank you. Helped. Now I have my Basic BAS file converted in TXT format.

Since you are using Atari800Win, you could just use it's hard drive patch to LIST your program in memory to the H: device.

Similarly, you can use ENTER within the emulated Atari BASIC to import a text file from the H: drive. This is useful, since you can just copy/paste archived program listings from web pages, scanners, etc...into a text file without needing to code any of it by hand except carriage returns...which would need to be changed to › (character code 125).

• 1 year later...

Please can anyone tell me if it's possible to save Atari BASIC programs from within any of the emulators that exist. If so, then how? I've just tried saving a program as a text file, but giving it the extension .BAS and all I got was BOOT ERROR. I've been using Atari800Win Plus, as well as XFormer, for a few weeks, but this doesn't seem possible. I'm now bidding on some Atari XL and XE computers on eBay, but I may end up getting one without any storage device. After this, I may still not be able to save, or have to buy an Atari tape deck, floppy drive, or the SIO2SD adaptor. I recently got a DVD full of emulators and have found that the Atari is one of the more interesting computer systems. My ambition is to program some new and different games on an Atari 8 bit emulator or real Atari, then once I understand how to do that, I could convert the games for a more modern system. This is because modern computers are more complicated and have various obstacles that get in the way of programming games.

Edited by SIO99

Since you are using Atari 800 Win +, go into the options and set up a hard drive folder. This will present itself to the Atari as an H device (H1: as opposed to D1:). Now, here is the cool bit. Adding a 5 to the number (H6: instead of H1:) will write to that device using the proper PC EOL character ($10,$13) as opposed to the Atari's ($9B). So, to save your BASIC code as a text file, enter the following :

LIST "H6:FNAME.TXT"

To load that back into the Atari, do

ENTER "H6:FNAME.TXT"

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

similar to what some of the others do, I copy/past from the web into Notepad++, save as a .lst file to the H: drive subdirectory, then use a windows program called MEMO PAD from http://joyfulcoder.com/memopad/ it converts the end of line character, then resave as a .lst to H: and ENTER into basic. MEMO PAD can also convert EOL to windows so that listed files can be edited in windoes text editors.

• 2 weeks later...

What if I want to text versions of hundreds or thousands of programs? Is there a bulk detokenizer (perhaps for Linux) that will create ATASCII listings?

Here is a few that might work on linux::

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/83591-reading-atari-bas-code/?do=findComment&comment=1018480

detoken perl script.

I have also used a program call 'CHKBAS.EXE' PC program that quit working after I got a 64bit windows OS.

• 2 months later...

.lst basic saved files

Did u know that u could type basic programs into a word processor, it's best 2 use a basic w/processor though,, one that doesn't save any extra bytes other than just your basic program. This format will be . Lst format, and what's really good about this is that u can type basic instructions in direct mode (without a. Line number) and the instructions will execute straight away (during loading of program using the basic 'enter' command).