IGNORED

Project-M 2.0

NRV

Someone should make a harmony-enhanched version for the vcs :)

Maybe the guy who is programming Ballblazer for the VCS? :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/130990-anyone-think-ballblazer-is-possible-on-the-2600/page__view__findpost__p__2338933

Yeah, that guy is a genius! :D

Well, Ballblazer probably is my favorite most - played game in the A8, so I agree with that :D

(A lot of times here in the forum I read that there was a version in the works for the 2600, but never could find a link to it, so many thanks to bringing the URL to my own topic :))

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sunny.. spring is already here :P

Wow, is already September, that time of the year.. well last year I started working in October, so I still have time I suppose. That time I had a 3 month vacation.. now is one year.. maybe I should do something and don't get distracted with side projects :D

Just for asking.. you win.. some pictures..

post-11240-0-26744900-1316727404_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-04211300-1316727435_thumb.png

post-11240-0-14915300-1316727421_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-23505200-1316727445_thumb.png

post-11240-0-64169900-1316727460_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-62389700-1316727473_thumb.png

post-11240-0-41989300-1316727496_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-64838700-1316727507_thumb.png

post-11240-0-38747800-1316727487_thumb.png

Well, they look colorful altogether.. and without a rainbow effect in sight :D

Some oldies but goodies:

post-11240-0-02084300-1316727921_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-59986200-1316727932_thumb.png

post-11240-0-18943300-1316727947_thumb.pngpost-11240-0-54775300-1316727971_thumb.png

Regards!

Edited by NRV

yay! a whole years break to work on Project M solidly :) hehe.. The pictures are very intriguing.. I don't recognise all of them.. are any of them the side projects of which you speak? :)

Well, the "year" started in July and I should be trying to generate money also, with some personal projects, so is not all "free time" :)

Technically, all the screens are from code running in the A8 (well.. in Altirra), but the ones that still have a "future" are: pic 5, a fast platformer + shooter with simple graphics; pic 6, a pacman-alike that started as an experiment to get the AI of the original ghosts in some new mazes and test some new behaviors; and pic 6+7, a vertical shooter with exed&exes influences (at least the parallax and graphics.. should not talk to Sheddy about old games :D).

Pic 8 is a test for plasma effects in APAC.

Pic 2 and 4 are two small programs that I wrote to test scroll in G8 (one pixel at a time) and in G15 (with sub pixel precision).

Pic 1 and 3 are a test of a system to see graphics in G0, with all the possible brights; something that could be used for a simple rogue like game, with illumination effects.

The other four are: one from my old software sprites thread, one example of a colorful "mario like" type of screen, one example of mid-scanline color changes and an old arkanoid like type of game, with 7 levels and that used the mouse as control.

...and pic 6+7, a vertical shooter with exed&exes influences (at least the parallax and graphics.. should not talk to Sheddy about old games :D).

Very nice - something not too simple, yet not too vastly overambitious for A8 either. :thumbsup: ExedExes had crossed my mind more than a few times as an interesting project ;-)

Good stuff, the pacman experiment sounds interesting and the ExedExes inpired shooter would be great! With vertical shooters I used to really like Star Force in the arcade that was a great game (lots of sprites though :) ).. the game possibly inspired the author of Warhawk :)

Edited by Tezz

...and pic 6+7, a vertical shooter with exed&exes influences (at least the parallax and graphics.. should not talk to Sheddy about old games :D).

Very nice - something not too simple, yet not too vastly overambitious for A8 either. :thumbsup: ExedExes had crossed my mind more than a few times as an interesting project ;-)

I was trying to do something that looked good, was fun and played to the strong points of the A8. If I really wanted to do a port of E&E (at the level of SH for example), probably I would go for gr7 bitmap mode, with lot of software sprites and drop the parallax effect, because most of the time you have lots of enemies in similar vertical positions and lots of bullets.. and gameplay is most important than visuals for me (in this case).

So that "door" is still open ;) (but I suppose in that case, one should start doing something more simple, like a port of galaga).

post-11240-0-74845900-1316798301_thumb.png

Good stuff, the pacman experiment sounds interesting and the ExedExes inpired shooter would be great! With vertical shooters I used to really like Star Force in the arcade that was a great game (lots of sprites though :) ).. the game possibly inspired the author of Warhawk :)

And Star Force is mostly my model for air enemies.. in fact you should recognize the "inspiration" for the flying enemies in the first picture :D.

The SF patterns are very "A8 friendly", in the sense that many times you don't have more than one enemy per line.

post-11240-0-71651900-1316798310_thumb.png

Hmmm why nobody has ever tried to do a port of Goldrunner? no fans? :)

post-11240-0-09668900-1316799858_thumb.png

post-11240-0-69780400-1316799872_thumb.png

cool, yes indeed with the Star Force enemy patterns :) I've had a quick look at some YT videos this morning for a refresher as it's been a few years. It'll be interesting to have a good look at the game in Mame once I've got the current project completed. Goldrunner was quite a decent playable game on the ST, that'd be doable with the panel relocated to the top or bottom. Galaga is my all time fav in that genre and so one in particular that I would like to only do if 100% faithful to the original.

• 1 month later...
PM2 is EPIC game!!! Hope we will see more games build on this engine!!!

This isn't a game (yet), it's an engine demo.

And if you think the technology of this engine would be applicable to Mode 7-style effects, you're clearly not paying attention to the rendering algorithms involved. Here's a hint: Wolfenstein raycast rendering has no texture rotation. That's why the floors and ceilings are blank.

PM2 is EPIC game!!! Hope we will see more games build on this engine!!!

This isn't a game (yet), it's an engine demo.

Depending on what games you get today for mobiles phones, we could name it a game ;)

And if you think the technology of this engine would be applicable to Mode 7-style effects, you're clearly not paying attention to the rendering algorithms involved. Here's a hint: Wolfenstein raycast rendering has no texture rotation. That's why the floors and ceilings are blank.

Moving walls is fair enough to suite the imagination of a 3D movement .

Walls with "no height" were perfect to build the borders of a track ;)

Project M Karts aka NRV Karts:

But there can be walls!!!

We dont need Snes mode 7 :). I had two Kart games build around on Wolfeinstein like engine as kid. There where walls (buildings) on each edge of road. Road was textured but we can have simply grey or green or brown road (city, village, desert). And sky can be babyblue color (no texture) or dark deep blue (night city - no texture, in night walls can be with black or gray textures) and yelloworange (desert).And there can be cube cannisters on road (village) or cube with wheel texture (city) or grass (cube with yellow grass texture - desert), maybe we dont need have more players than 2 (computer vs human)... And in future versions we can have split screen (player one vs player two) or use some kind of network cartridge for A800 (network game - more players for example 4). But first keep it very simple (player - First Person view computer - one sprite thats all...) It will be still funny game to play...

Virtual Karts (MS-DOS) - > This game is what I am talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuOuq1B_Bw

Manic Karts (MS-DOS) - > Or this one, maybe better for Project M engine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_m5RftCx0

Edited by tinctu