IGNORED

Project-M 2.0

NRV

There's a ton of amazing code out there for the stockers already. I think much of the continued interest these days comes in the form of updating the technology (hardware and software) of the platform. Rather than try to eek out just a bit extra from stock hardware beyond some of the greats that already exist, wouldn't it be more exciting to see how far things can go with some of the upgrades like U1MB, VBXE, 65C816, etc.?

• Like 1

That's what you would aspire to, after we already have the Alternate Reality on A8, not to mention Wolf 3D on DOS?

Those are totally different things. As AR is a great game on it's own, but it treats the "3d ego part" very badly on the A8.

And, as you stated : DOS.... using fast cpus on a PC.... 16 Bit and faster. So there is already an evidence of running a Wolf 3D on a 16 Bit CPU.

On the other hand: A fluently running "Wolf 3D" clone on a stock A8 may result in a full frame Ego shooter on an enhanced A8 ;)

• 10 months later...

Hi, for the people that is still interested in this.. x)
As you know, it has not advanced much these last years, but recently I had some time to look at it again, and did some actualizations.
I started moving the presentation code to use a 1MB cartridge. A big step for me, because I never did it before.. thanks to JaC for his code example, in some part of this forum :).

Now it would be easier to move the rest of the code and add more things.

Also I used another of the great musics from Miker:

I did some small optimizations to the main code, recovered the rotation pivot in the camera (smoother rotations) and changed the camera fov (field of view), so the walls look "bigger" and more detailed now.

With this I also added some graphic "quirks" that I need to fix, mostly when you are too close to a wall.

I don't know if you can see all that in the video, but I think it looks better:

There is another video in my channel, but is from the first version of the PM demo (the render engine test with the barrels).

Regards!
  • Like 28

Yes, I disabled them (commented the code) for later versions, because they are big pre-compiled sprites, so they took too much memory.

But when all is running from a 1MB cartridge, then I can reactivate them and they should just work.

I think I have said this before, but.. at 40 fps both barrels in screen took like a 10fps hit, so the current engine should run near 15 or more fps, with both of them.

Obviously there is more work to be done, apart from the rendering.
Basically calculating when to render an object, in what direction (camera angle vs object angle), at what zoom level (distance to the camera), doing the clipping against the walls (comparing "z" values).
But if the ideas I have in mind work well enough, then this extra cost should be small compared to the rendering one.

• Like 4

Thank you NRV, great to hear and see the news! :)

I was worried after these few years that it's abandoned, but Atari 8-bit really deserve to have something amazing like Project-M finished this way or another as a game in the future :)

Fingers crossed, that will be MILESTONE (already is) :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is impressive, but I am also a little upset.

If you would have just finished this back in 1995, I would have saved $249.99 on my Jaguar. :D

Seriously though, this is impressive in itself. Who would have thought!!??

Ha, could you have imagined this being released in 1995 on a computer that even then was out of production for 5(?) years doing similar to what the Jaguar was doing? Granted it has been argued by many that Wolf 3D on the Jaguar is the best version of the game available.

Ha, could you have imagined this being released in 1995 on a computer that even then was out of production for 5(?) years doing similar to what the Jaguar was doing? Granted it has been argued by many that Wolf 3D on the Jaguar is the best version of the game available.

Sure, the Wolf on jag is nice. But jag has:

- 26.6 MHz Risc Gpu

- 26.6 MHz Risc Dsp

- 13.3 MHz 68000

- Blitter 64-bit

- Object Processor 64-bit

Yet, it doesn't even run in 320x200, but lower res.

Project-M is running off 1.79 MHz 8-bit CPU.

The only way jaguar could begin to hope to pull off remotely similar "WTF", is if it pulled off at least Doom 3 tech.

It's basically equivalent to saying: "Look ! The Lamborghini Lp640 can do 0-100 kmh under 7 seconds " (even though specs say 3.7s)

I apologize for harsh tone, but I Am all ears and ready to hear if there's another Atari platform that managed to deliver the technological Wow factor of Project-M.

• Like 2

Sure, the Wolf on jag is nice. But jag has:

- 26.6 MHz Risc Gpu

- 26.6 MHz Risc Dsp

- 13.3 MHz 68000

- Blitter 64-bit

- Object Processor 64-bit

Yet, it doesn't even run in 320x200, but lower res.

Project-M is running off 1.79 MHz 8-bit CPU.

The only way jaguar could begin to hope to pull off remotely similar "WTF", is if it pulled off at least Doom 3 tech.

It's basically equivalent to saying: "Look ! The Lamborghini Lp640 can do 0-100 kmh under 7 seconds " (even though specs say 3.7s)

I apologize for harsh tone, but I Am all ears and ready to hear if there's another Atari platform that managed to deliver the technological Wow factor of Project-M.

That was exactly my point, I mean if it'd come out around the same time as the Jag port, there would have been a lot of "wait... if the 8bit can do this... why is the Jag not so much more awesome? Actually the most amazing thing beside Project-M I've seen is the 60fps video playback. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/?hl=video player

• Like 4

Cool stuff is that Carmack did the Jag port in several weeks himself.

Sure, but it's too bad he couldn't spend just few more weeks on it.

Nobody denies the non-existing commercial market for jag games, so it's not like he was doing this port for money (or at least it does not appear this way from our side) :)

That was exactly my point, I mean if it'd come out around the same time as the Jag port, there would have been a lot of "wait... if the 8bit can do this... why is the Jag not so much more awesome? Actually the most amazing thing beside Project-M I've seen is the 60fps video playback. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/?hl=video player

If this came out around the time the jag came out, then this would have been the "jag killer app", but as in "it'd definitely kill the jag" :)

Project M has the most realistic bird effects I've ever heard on the Atari!

What? :) (anyway that would have been Miker :-D)

(Lol.. I just now saw the video)

Btw the depths shaded project m.... how can you toggle it?

That's the second floor of P.M 2.0..it was a quick a hack to the renderer, but is still rendering (monochrome) textures, so it could run a loooot faster than 20 fps, if done correctly.

Edited by NRV
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...