IGNORED

Snes vs Nes: which had more "junk games?"

galagamike

42 members have voted

1. 1. which had more junk titles?

• Nes
    • Snes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ive got just about all the nes games and pretty close to the snes games...I think the nes has the most junk games since there were more for the nes than the snes...but if you throw in the super famicom and the famicom...they would be about equal..there is so much crap out there for both systems! I love the nes due to the homebrew repro scene though...theres a lot of good stuff there...

I've owned a copier for the SNES since the early 90s, therefore I'm very familiar with a large portion of the SNES library. And while there are a lot of junk games, there are literally dozens of good ones. Not so familiar with the NES but there definitely is a lot of crap.

I'd recommend SNES but if you're collecting you'll only experience a small portion of what is has to offer. Best to acquire a copier or flash cartridge then you instantly have access to the entire library and also translated and hacked ROMs.

Edited by Shroo-man

SNES.

I would wager to say 75% of NES games are universally appealing and playable, while the SNES suffers from being a part of the Poochie'd-out generation of Sports and Fighting games. If you take a look at a local second hand, the sheer volume of junked NFL, NBA, MLS, Wrestling, racing and fighting games for the SNES is overwhelming. The NES was more well-rounded system and did not suffer from the fad crazes the way the next gen of systems did.

• Like 3

SNES.

I would wager to say 75% of NES games are universally appealing and playable, while the SNES suffers from being a part of the Poochie'd-out generation of Sports and Fighting games. If you take a look at a local second hand, the sheer volume of junked NFL, NBA, MLS, Wrestling, racing and fighting games for the SNES is overwhelming. The NES was more well-rounded system and did not suffer from the fad crazes the way the next gen of systems did.

+1

I happen to like the fighting games, though I'll admit 50 different versions of Street Fighter 2 is a bit stupid, but there are just tons of crappy sports titles on the SNES. Not to mention the piles and piles of movie games. I swear the SNES started the trend for bad movie titles. There were also a lot of bad kiddy games on the SNES.

All that said, the SNES is home to some of the best turn based RPGs ever. I much prefer turn based RPGs over the modern Final Fantasy stuffs, so I love mine.

• Like 1

I love the SNES, but it has a lot of shovelware, movie tie-in games, and what StanJr aptly called "Poochie'd-out" games. The NES has its share of junk -- to say the least -- but its hardware wasn't really capable of Poochie business. Underneath even the worst titles there's usually a core of plausible gameplay, something that's definitely not always true of the SNES.

SNES.

Couldn't agree more.

I check the SNES selection at the local used game store and I can't believe how many titles make me go "meh". Sure the console has some real gems (which also usually sell for a lot more) but there is also an abundance of generic shooters, fighters, movie licenses and sports games. I think the NES has a higher percentage of games that I'd want to play

On the other hand, the best SNES games are so amazing and replayable that it almost makes up for the large amount of crap.

I'd say what ruined a lot of SNES games is the SNES's hard-to-navigate hardware that forced developers to be less experimental. From the 8 and 16 bit generation the SNES had the second worst graphic loading schemes.

NES - cartridge loading

Genesis - 3.35 Mhz DMA loading, loads during active display

PCE - CPU loading, loads during active display

SNES - 2.68 Mhz DMA loading, v-blank only

SMS - CPU loading, v-blank only

For the SNES, everything that involves using tiles or sprites have to fit within the small amount of time where the CPU is allowed to access the V-RAM before the PPU takes control of it. I can't even imagine the issues the SMS programmers dealt with.

• 3 weeks later...

Every system has it's share of junkware, the NES has a lot of great games, I personally have not come across anything unplayable :P

have you ever played rocky or caveman games? i need games where they are at least designed with some effort, like kirby which is amazing.

WHAT CAVEMAN GAMES?! This was a fun game that my family played! We still whip it out once in awhile and whats more fun than tossing your mate as a contest or bonking a dinosaur on the head for him to run back and forth confused instead of faster or getting chewed up and spit out by a T-Rex....BLASPHEMY lol. Granted not a fun by your self but if you have the right group its fun!

Every system has it's share of junkware, the NES has a lot of great games, I personally have not come across anything unplayable :P

have you ever played rocky or caveman games? i need games where they are at least designed with some effort, like kirby which is amazing.

Caveman games is a really decent title, and when the hell did Rocky come out for the NES? Rambo maybe... :ponder:

PCE - CPU loading, loads during active display

...The PCE supports DMA (VRAM to VRAM, and VRAM to SATB). Also, loading sprites and tiles on the PCE is a happy cakewalk compared to the NES and Genesis, so I don't know why you would rank them this way. The NES PPU is kind of retarded.

Anyway, the SNES has way more stupid crap games that arent worth a damn. Hokey, forgettable platformers. Cheesy sports titles that aren't even good... retarded car games, anything movie related is automatically junk usually...

If I am looking for oldschool games to play, the SNES is rarely what I go to. Ill go for the usual: Contra, CV, Mega Man..... or a few other things, but usually its just an RPG system for me.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, every console with a decently-sized library has about the same % of A+ and F- games...and since the SNES had a larger library than the NES, I imagine that it has more awful games than the NES.

Both system have enough good to great games to keep you busy for years, though, so I don't really know why it matters. :?

I think the NES ( or N.E.S ;) ) had the most duff games because it didn;t really havea lot of competition after Atari sales dropped off in the crash. The SNES (S.N.E.S :P ) had to compete with the Genesis so I think Nintendo were a lot more selective with their licences.

Although there are some real great games on both systems. And the NES is a legend!

Edited by retrozoneorg