IGNORED

STe to LCD TV problems

darkxavier

Hi

Bought myself a RGB cable off ebay for my STe. Sometimes when switching the computer on I get a distorted picture as seen in the attachment, or just a black screen. Have to reset the ST 3-4 times before I get a normal picture. Tried the cable with an old CRT TV and no problems at all, nice and crisp, and colourful. Picture is quite dull on the LCD TV. The LCD TV is a Sony KDL32EX503U.

Any suggestions?

post-28311-129322092101_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Bought myself a RGB cable off ebay for my STe. Sometimes when switching the computer on I get a distorted picture as seen in the attachment, or just a black screen. Have to reset the ST 3-4 times before I get a normal picture. Tried the cable with an old CRT TV and no problems at all, nice and crisp, and colourful. Picture is quite dull on the LCD TV. The LCD TV is a Sony KDL32EX503U.

Any suggestions?

post-28311-129322092101_thumb.jpg

by reset do you mean hard on and off or reset button push ??

did you try the other scart connection ??

you may find the scart doesnt like something else that's also plugged into it

most tv;s auto switch or try to when no signals are there

try with scart only in scart 1 socket

also some scart plugs auto detect what type of sync etc is to be used

this effect you have can also be caused by the psu in an atari

where an older monitor isnt

you may find that the ste psu's bridge rectifer has become leeky {common fault}

and is allowing some ac to trickle into the ground system

and may need to be replaced

again older monitors this mostly doesnt show

a good way to check for psu problems is simply to disconnect the earth to the atari

at the plug and try again

if there is a psu issue between the tv and the ste it will disappear

but dont leave it like this

again its a better idea to replace the bridge anyway as ste's psu called phiong type

are very nasty ... in design... and use cheep parts that do fail

the fact you can reset it several times shows some psu issue

if indeed you mean turn on and off the ste...

reset button presses indicates it something to do with the way the bravia detects the signal type

and alligns its decoders and sizing...

Hi

Any suggestions?

It seems that your TV does not switch onto RGB input at all. The key is the blanking voltage on the pin 16 of the scart. If it is not in the correct range the TV can behave like yours. Are you able to dismantle the cable and look how is this particular signal connected?

I had no problems getting a proper display from my STE on a CRT TV via a SCART cable from the STE monitor out. However using the same TV I could not get a colour display from my Amstrad CPC6128 and a SCART cable. I followed some advice from a CPC website to apply power across the SCART plug; a battery terminals + and - to two pins on the SCART and this did not work, but did make the battery very hot.

I had no problems getting a proper display from my STE on a CRT TV via a SCART cable from the STE monitor out. However using the same TV I could not get a colour display from my Amstrad CPC6128 and a SCART cable. I followed some advice from a CPC website to apply power across the SCART plug; a battery terminals + and - to two pins on the SCART and this did not work, but did make the battery very hot.

I saw this schmatics too, but I think that connecting any power supply directly to the pins of the scart is generally a bad idea. I'd use at least a resistor. IMHO the best way how to obtain correct voltage for the RGB blanking signal is to use a small electrolytic capacitor (say 10uF/10V or more) charged from a hsync signal through a diode and resistor (say 100 ohm or more).

I saw this schmatics too, but I think that connecting any power supply directly to the pins of the scart is generally a bad idea. I'd use at least a resistor. IMHO the best way how to obtain correct voltage for the RGB blanking signal is to use a small electrolytic capacitor (say 10uF/10V or more) charged from a hsync signal through a diode and resistor (say 100 ohm or more).

Hi

Any suggestions?

Okay, the link to the eBay item you posted is for a COMPOSITE video signal. This is not the same as a RGB video signal.

Does your Sony KDL32EX503U LCD TV have a SCART input, or just RCA / phono input connections?

SCART inputs are very, very common in Europe and the UK, so that is why a lot of posts refer to SCART and RGB.

SCART inputs are normally capable of accepting both RGB and COMPOSITE video signals. A RGB signal is the higher quality video signal.

Back to your problem. Assuming that you are trying to use a COMPOSITE video cable, first ensure that the RCA / phono connector is making good contact. Also on the Atari unplug and then reconnect the 13 way DIN connector (monitor connector) four or five times. This is to ensure that the contact between the electrical pins of the plug and the contacts in the socket are making good contact. Just because one is gold plated does not mean that you do not have contact problems.

Do you have any other equipment that you use with your Sony KDL32EX503U LCD TV?

Does this equipment work okay, or do you get problems here as well?

Note that some LCD TV's do not like the slightly non-standard video signal that the Atari ST computer range produces, while older CRT TV's and the older CRT monitors have no problems.

Simbo talks about a possible problem with the Atari ST range power supply units because they are of the switch mode type and as such suffer over time from various aging effects. Some of the first symptoms of electronic components nearing the end of their lives is problems with the video signal, problems with the floppy drive and needing to reset the computer one or more times before it "appears" to work okay. The only way to prove this is repair the power supply (if you have electronic skills) or replace it with a good unit.

Please answer our questions and report back on your problem, we can supply the best advice only you tell us what you have found. This also helps others.

Good luck! :)