IGNORED

BoCC entry Smart Ball by asharot

retroclouds

Well it seems our italian friend has been busy and wrote a cool BoCC entry called "Smart Ball".

He's been very modest about it, and I don't want this great game to pass by unnoticed.

The cool thing is that this is a TI-Basic game using a sprite!

You thought that isn't possible? Well actually it isn't, but he used a nice little trick to get a sprite in place nonetheless.

Asharot fiddles with the VDP registers by writing a fake file header on tape and loading it back into memory.

The easiest way to try this with an emulator is to use the Mini Memory version of the game (BALL-M).

But as said, a bare TI-Basic console with a tape recorder should do as well.

Here are some screenshots

post-16219-129326648259_thumb.png

post-16219-129326649275_thumb.png

Well done asharot!

Check out the BASIC on CART Contest (BoCC) Entries thread.

Pretty amazing this contest has bruoght out 2 (so far) brand new people. Hopefully they'll join the fun!

Well it seems our italian friend has been busy and wrote a cool BoCC entry called "Smart Ball".

He's been very modest about it, and I don't want this great game to pass by unnoticed.

The cool thing is that this is a TI-Basic game using a sprite!

You thought that isn't possible? Well actually it isn't, but he used a nice little trick to get a sprite in place nonetheless.

Asharot fiddles with the VDP registers by writing a fake file header on tape and loading it back into memory.

The easiest way to try this with an emulator is to use the Mini Memory version of the game (BALL-M).

But as said, a bare TI-Basic console with a tape recorder should do as well.

Here are some screenshots

post-16219-129326648259_thumb.png

post-16219-129326649275_thumb.png

Well done asharot!

Check out the BASIC on CART Contest (BoCC) Entries thread.

I squeezed smart ball game and now it works with disk controller (see instructions please) ...

Download 1.2 version and enjoy it !

Thanks, will give it a try ;)

I tried my game on true ti99/4a computer.

I found this problem:

Disk version with mini-memory and p.box shows frequently pauses (maybe interrupts issue ?) in the game.

Instead, tape version (no mini-memory,no p.box) no shows this problem.

Any idea?

Thanks and happy new year!

Alessandro

I squeezed smart ball game and now it works with disk controller (see instructions please) ...

I found this problem:

Disk version with mini-memory and p.box shows frequently pauses (maybe interrupts issue ?) in the game.

Any idea?

Alessandro

hhmmm, I could imagine that the pauses are caused by TI-Basic's garbage collection.

Perhaps the PAB's for disk access take away that much VDP memory, that the TI-Basic garbage collector needs to kick-in sooner.

I found this problem:

Any idea?

Alessandro

hhmmm, I could imagine that the pauses are caused by TI-Basic's garbage collection.

Perhaps the PAB's for disk access take away that much VDP memory, that the TI-Basic garbage collector needs to kick-in sooner.

So I changed Restore and Data in CALL CHAR and CALL SOUND... also I squeezed game and

now I see game is faster (I think 20-30%) and you can download 1.3 version :)

.... but disk version shows always pauses...

Thanks!!! Can't wait to try this out.... Screenshots look very cool!!

Thanks! I've crunch the game (20 instructions) and add one background picture (visible at level 19 :) )

Download 1.4 version and enjoy it.

I think this is the ultimate version of smart ball game!!

Way too cool, man. :) Thanks!!!

Mumble... a little graphic issue (restart from level >9 trash level counter)

force me to release 1.5 version.

I hope is perfect now! :)

Don't say cat if you don't have it into sac! :)

I have eliminated many ELSE in if then statement, so I've gained other ram free.

So I've improved graphics! Try to play in morning and in night with 1.6 version of SMART BALL.

Hey buddy... can you post a version that runs in Classic99? I don't know how to load the game into Classic99 since it requires cassette interface. I REALLY want to play. =) I got it started in Classic99 but couldn't get it to run properly. If this version is compatible to run from disk, please post instructions for that. I read your documents for the game... you did a great job, man. Now I can't wait to play it. =)

Hey buddy... can you post a version that runs in Classic99? I don't know how to load the game into Classic99 since it requires cassette interface. I REALLY want to play. =) I got it started in Classic99 but couldn't get it to run properly. If this version is compatible to run from disk, please post instructions for that. I read your documents for the game... you did a great job, man. Now I can't wait to play it. =)

Version that I've post run with classic99 ! Download 1.6 version from

BASIC on CART Contest (BoCC) Entries Submissions ONLY

UNpack zip file and put BALL-M file in DSK1 Folder.

Select Mini memory cartridge in Classic99 and enter ti basic.

OLD DSK1.BALL-M and RUN game.

Warning: you can list wrong music in classic99, but on real ti99 is all ok!

Edited by Astharot

• 4 weeks later...

... Contest is over but....

I've found a bug on 1.6 version!

Also I've crunched code on critical points... and released 1.7 version !

Please try it on true ti99/4a tape version...

I hope gameplay is faster (10%-15%) ...

What do you think?

Thanks for the update, my friend!!! Just as an aside... you guys can all make whatever adjustments you want to before I put out the compendium... v 1.7 will be the final version, if you wish, Alessandro.

By the way, I loved GOBLINS... tough, but really really good.

Hint for Goblins: follow the ghost but don't kill him! So you can scrolling and advancing level...

Goblins have start music digitalized from GHOST'N'GOBLINS game :)

I tried now GOBLINS on Classic99 and I found 2 issue:

1. You must change line 370 for DSK1 disk drive... (little issue)

2. You can't hear digitalized music/voice !! (I think Classic99 issue!!!)

Also on Win99 Simulator 3.009 You can't hear sampled music/voice !!

I see also that the ghost don't raises from heart/bottom screen, but Win99 simulator shows ghost always...

Edited by Astharot

I'll give that a try. =) I'm thinking about a series of 10 videos showcasing the best of the best homebrews the TI-99 has to offer.... Of course it would be virtually impossible to select JUST 10, but I have a short list in my head for the first few.

*in no specific order

-Pitfall!

-Super Space Acer

-Neverlander

-Any of Willi Doeltch's games...

Of course this is the SHORT SHORT list... just MY favorite homebrews. =) Maybe we should start a thread about best homebrews. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, my friend!!! Just as an aside... you guys can all make whatever adjustments you want to before I put out the compendium... v 1.7 will be the final version, if you wish, Alessandro.

I've found a bug on 1.7 version!

Sorry for this issue. (If you select Power=100 and revert power you get power =0, then if you shoot you get BAD VALUE).

I've fix it and also I've released EXTENDED BASIC VERSION of game !

Download 1.8 game version and tell me what do you think!

Extended basic version is very fast imho ...

Edited by Astharot