IGNORED

Fastest clock speed for 63C09

I'm almost finished planning out the specifications and memory map of a homebrew video game system. The VDP will be clocked at 14.32 Mhz, using a 7.16 Mhz pixel clock rate. For convenience, I plan on using either a 7.16 Mhz 63C09 or dual 3.58 Mhz 63C09s.

However I'm not quite sure if 63C09s are capable of running at 7.16 Mhz. Some people say the maximum speed is about 7 Mhz, while others claim it's around 5 Mhz. Who's right?

Search for HD63C09. I believe the max is 3MHz.

I think it's a moot point since they will probably be impossible to find these days... unless you already have a source for the chip.

<edit>

Correction, it's rated for 3MHz. It should run faster. 3.58 MHz would probably be safe but a heatsink would be a must if you go very fast. I don't think 7.16 MHz would be reliable.

Edited by JamesD

I was drawing a (not so detailed) diagram of the circuit for the VDP core, and I realized the VDP needs to be 28 Mhz not 14 Mhz. Eventhough it access it's V-RAM at 14 Mhz, it needs to buffer the pixels to it's scanline buffer at 4x the pixel rate. This can also make designing the hardware a little easier because the VDP can now use an 8-bit bus for v-ram and color-ram.

The currently planned technical specifics are:

*336x224 screen resolution

*168 sprites (sizes range from 16x16 to 16x256)

*horizontal sprite joining

*84 16x16 sprites per scanline

*32768 colors

*256 colors at once

*16 colors per 16x16 sprite block

*64 kB V-RAM + 512 bytes Color-RAM

*transparency

It doesn't use hardware backgrounds, but it can be implemented by joining together 22 16x256 sprites.