IGNORED

S-Video - Official vs Not Official?

philexile

Hello,

I recently sold a set of S-Video cables that I had been using with my Jaguar setup on eBay. I sold them because I finally got my SCART setup working properly.

Long story short, I'm having a bit of a problem with the buyer. First, he claimed he never received the item - this was on 12/26. However, once I provided the tracking information that showed the cable was delivered on 12/22, the story changed.

He is now claiming that the cables I sold him were not official. He is right in the fact that the image I used was a stock image off the web and did not a picture of what I sold him. I used this picture because the difference appearance of the cables was nominal and, really, who cares how cables look? The cables I bought were from a guy in Poland. I had no idea these weren't official and, more importantly, didn't care since they worked flawlessly.

This buyer paid $25 for the cables and shipping was free. He pointed to another auction for the same cables and said these were $19.95 and I should give him $5 back. Now, what he isn't saying is that shipping on those cables was $15 - so they were actually $35. Here is that auction: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1705747986991?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170574798699&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'm hesitant to give him a refund because of these reasons, but also because it seems he is buying these cables in bulk. He mentioned he had bought four of these s-video cables already. I assume he just wants to sell these off at a higher price. Now, I'm not a saint or anything, but I honestly priced these a bit cheaper to help a fellow Jaguar fan out - not to be a good find for a reseller.

Any suggestions on this? Is there any real difference between these cables or is this guy just trying to rip me off a bit?

Thank you

That's a tough situation, you probably should have listed the auction with an actual picture of the item.

On the flip side, the picture you did use is clearly not an official cable. The official Jaguar S-Video cables are grey, do not have a composite lead, and the cable is flat (not round).

The guy appears to be trying to get more money out of you. You sold him a third party Jaguar cable and that is exactly what he got. I would find a picture of the official cables and send it to him, it's obvious he didn't think he was getting official cables.

If that doesn't make him go away, just give him $5. It's probably not worth your aggravation.

Here is a pic.

Edited by kgenthe

Hi,

Actually, that auction is the one that he is showing to justify my refunding him $5. Here is a link to my auction: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1605177587021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160517758702&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You will see, I guess I did use totally the wrong picture.

I'll see what he says - as I pointed out before, I'm more leery of this guy because of his behavior. He first started out saying: "Hey, where the heck is my item" then when I showed him it was delivered he dismissed it and moved onto this 'official' cable complaint.

Stuff like this makes me hate eBay. Obviously, the guy got a deal and now he is trying to make it even better with the cables in his hand. I think I'm going to offer him a refund and have him ship the cables back to me if he isn't satisfied.

Thank you for your help!

That's a tough situation, you probably should have listed the auction with an actual picture of the item.

On the flip side, the picture you did use is clearly not an official cable. The official Jaguar S-Video cables are grey, do not have a composite lead, and the cable is flat (not round).

The guy appears to be trying to get more money out of you. You sold him a third party Jaguar cable and that is exactly what he got. I would find a picture of the official cables and send it to him, it's obvious he didn't think he was getting official cables.

If that doesn't make him go away, just give him $5. It's probably not worth your aggravation.

Here is a pic.

Although it sounds like the buyer probably isn't helping his case with his behavior, I have to admit that I would be slightly upset if I purchased what I thought was an official cable and received something else. There may or may not be a difference, but you really never know what you are getting with a 3rd party cable. I think you are doing the right thing by offering him a refund, because if he escalates this to a dispute I think he would probably win based on the item not matching the picture.

Hi,

I agree with everything you're saying, which is why I'm offering him the refund.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Although it sounds like the buyer probably isn't helping his case with his behavior, I have to admit that I would be slightly upset if I purchased what I thought was an official cable and received something else. There may or may not be a difference, but you really never know what you are getting with a 3rd party cable. I think you are doing the right thing by offering him a refund, because if he escalates this to a dispute I think he would probably win based on the item not matching the picture.

• 1 month later...

I would just add that you shouldn't refund him anything until the item is returned to you and in your hand. If he already claimed that it wasn't delivered when it was, what's to stop him taking your refund and keeping the cable?

Oops, just realised how old this thread is, sorry.

Edited by Tyrant
  • Like 2