IGNORED

Inty screen jumpy

SlowCoder

Last night I hooked up my Intv to my LCD TV. Unlike the CV and Atari, the screen jumped around vertically a little. It's like when your old CRT TV is just about to roll, but not quite. The effect wasn't bad enough to keep us from playing, but would get annoying after a while. Anyone know how I can fix it?

Most probably is that you need to Tune up the Rf modulator in your Intv. You have to open the unit, and lookup for two potenciometers on the Silver box that had the Video conection and move it slowly Cw or ccw until picture is better (looks like little screws in a hole), you had to do it "live" with system turn on and game inserted.

Is not an easy task to do, If you don´t feel confident to do it you can find somebody with experience fixing tv´s, it will be easy for him to do it.

Or you can buy a new Intv..

Most probably is that you need to Tune up the Rf modulator in your Intv. You have to open the unit, and lookup for two potenciometers on the Silver box that had the Video conection and move it slowly Cw or ccw until picture is better (looks like little screws in a hole), you had to do it "live" with system turn on and game inserted.

Is not an easy task to do, If you don´t feel confident to do it you can find somebody with experience fixing tv´s, it will be easy for him to do it.

Oh, no. I'm perfectly comfortable working on stuff like that. Since I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, how else am I supposed to get my phsychedelic kicks than playing with live electronics? icon_smile.gif

I would connect it to a CRT television first to see if it still happens; that will at least help to determine if it's a problem with the Intellivision itself.

Looks like it's the TV. The TV it's jumpy on is a Samsung 550. I hooked it up on a CRT and another Samsung LCD we have and it didn't jump.

I may crack the IntV open anyway and play with the settings to see if maybe it's just on the verge where my 550 is affected and the others aren't. It's the 550 I really want to play it on.

• 9 years later...
On 12/30/2010 at 6:16 PM, SlowCoder said:

Looks like it's the TV. The TV it's jumpy on is a Samsung 550. I hooked it up on a CRT and another Samsung LCD we have and it didn't jump.

I may crack the IntV open anyway and play with the settings to see if maybe it's just on the verge where my 550 is affected and the others aren't. It's the 550 I really want to play it on.

I don't think adjusting the tuning is going to help. Every single intellivision that has come pass me for service will jump through RF on my Sony Bravia LED I use in my game room. No amount of adjustment has corrected this. Some will jump more than others but everyone I've connected does this. It was the main reason I put a composite AV mod into my Sears intellivision like 2 or so years ago? So yes it is the TV simply not liking the signal coming from the Intellivision. Like you I wanted to play my Intellivision on my larger modern screen in my game room so that was the route I took.

Yep, get a little bit of jumping on my CRT's and 2609 once in a while too. Is there a pattern to be observed here though? Seems after a while, it settles down and then is totally stable. Guess I just chalked it up to old caps that needed to be charged for a while or slightly out of spec NTSC shenanigans. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2010 at 3:31 PM, edintv said:

So I tried hooking my old Intellivison II up to my Vizio HDTV (using a simple RCA to Coax adapter at the console end) but the video exhibits vertical jittering that is rather annoying so I gave this a shot. I can get it to stop by adjusting one of the potentiometers in the RF modulator but only for as long as the system is powered on. Once it's turned off and back on again its back to the same jittering issue. I may keep playing with it to see if I can find an adjustment where it's more than just a temporary resolution but I guess it may just be that this TV won't want to play well with it no matter what I do.