IGNORED

Sega 32X - Worth it?

SlowCoder

Yes, it properly fits on the Model 1. There's a plastic skirt that you attach for the Model 2, and leave off for the Model 1 or CDX; there was going to be a skirt for the CDX, but SEGA never got around to getting the 32X FCC approval for the CDX, so they never made the skirt either. It works fine with the CDX, but doesn't look as nice without the skirt.

As to whether you should get one... it depends. There are not many games for the 32X, but a few are worth playing. It's about the only way (short of MAME) to play Star Wars Arcade. Virtua Racing Deluxe was a fine game; so if you don't have the Saturn or PS2 version, you might want the 32X version. Same for Virtua Fighter. Knuckles Chaotix is kind of hit-or-miss... about half the folks love it, and the other half don't.

In any case, the 32X is usually pretty cheap to pick up on eBay, and most of the games are cheap as well, so even if there's just a couple games you like out of the library, it's probably worth getting. You can always try the games via emulation first and see if there's enough to interest you; if so, start watching eBay for a deal.

What's the deal with the 32X expansion? Is it worth it to play? I haven't seen many great reviews for it. Limited number of games, and most aren't original.

Does it fit properly on a model 1 Genesis?

There are a few very good games on 32X. Virtua Racing Deluxe is my favorite version of the game. Virtua Fighter is one of the better versions of the game (was actually better than original Virtua Fighter on Saturn). Knuckles Choatix is a nice game. If you really want some reviews on 32X games, check out Classic Game Room on YouTube. Whether its really worth it or not is really hard to tell since its subjective. I think it is, but many would disagree.

The 32X came with a spacer. Without the spacer it fits on Model 1, with the spacer it fits on model 2. So actually I think it is better on model 1 because it doesn't stick up as much.

What's the deal with the 32X expansion? Is it worth it to play? I haven't seen many great reviews for it. Limited number of games, and most aren't original.

If you are someone who gets a kick out of the hardware on it's own, I say go for it. I enjoy hooking the monstrosity up every once in a while. I enjoy the Star Wars game and Tempo is a pretty decent platformer. I lke Doom, but it is not a very good experience compared to other ports. The Virtua games that were mentioned were good but I have not played them since they were available as rentals.....

If you want a 32X, then go for it- it's not expensive at all because of the failure that it became and SEGA never threw them into landfills (ATARI... :| )

The most fun thing about it is Doom, because it sounds like farts. I know it's inappropriate, but still.

Doom

Star Wars Arcade

Knuckles Chaotix

Virtua Racing

After Burner

Space Harrier

Shadow Squadron

Are all reasons enough to buy the 32x (which is pretty cheap) and the games (which are also pretty cheap)..... so long as you like those types of games.

I have been having a lot of fun with the 32x. Chaotix is great. It's not a Sonic game but for what it is, it's very good. I have grown to really like the 32x Doom even with all that is left out. The Jag version is better but there is something about Doom on the 32x that keeps bringing me back. After Burner and Space Harrier are great arcade fun. Virtua Racing is, well Virtua Racing. It's an excellent racing game.

If I were you I would look up some of the games on youtube and see if the games interest you. Overall the system and most of its better games can be had pretty cheap so it won't set you back a lot.

Knuckles Chaotix is kind of hit-or-miss... about half the folks love it, and the other half don't.

I heard this too. I wonder if, those who don't care for it, were thinking it was going to be a Sonic game? I really like Chaotix and did not have an expectation of it being a Sonic game at all. It's similar but definitely not a Sonic game. The controls take a bit getting used to but once you give it enough time to get used to them your rolling through stages.

Surprised nobody's mentioned this, but if you find a 32 X that actually WORKS, you should consider yourself very, very lucky.

DO NOT buy anything that says "untested, sold as is". PAY THE EXTRA MONEY and buy from someone who is very reputable and knowledgeable, and offers a money back guarantee.

MOST 32X SYSTEMS you will come across DO NOT WORK. Part of the reason, if not the main reason, for it's failure.

Surprised nobody's mentioned this, but if you find a 32 X that actually WORKS, you should consider yourself very, very lucky.

DO NOT buy anything that says "untested, sold as is". PAY THE EXTRA MONEY and buy from someone who is very reputable and knowledgeable, and offers a money back guarantee.

MOST 32X SYSTEMS you will come across DO NOT WORK. You have been warned! Part of the reason, if not the main reason, for it's failure.

Knuckles Chaotix is kind of hit-or-miss... about half the folks love it, and the other half don't.

I heard this too. I wonder if, those who don't care for it, were thinking it was going to be a Sonic game? I really like Chaotix and did not have an expectation of it being a Sonic game at all. It's similar but definitely not a Sonic game. The controls take a bit getting used to but once you give it enough time to get used to them your rolling through stages.

I was one of those expecting a Sonic game, and as such felt let down. I dislike it less now, mainly because I quit thinking of it as a Sonic game, and put it on its own. Now my main complaint is the fact that you're supposed to "fly" through the levels, so they put little effort into making the levels interesting as they figure you'll never see most of them anyway. :|

As to 32Xs not working, the most common problem by far is the ribbon connectors not making good contact. Much of the time, just pulling out and reseating the ribbons takes care of the problem. What some people do is separate the two halves, put a sheet of paper between them, then reseat the ribbon. The paper applies more outward pressure on the two halves of the ribbon, making better connection. That fixes nearly every 32X that doesn't work or is flaky.

I enjoy the 32X quite a bit, but admittedly its library [of great titles] is limited to short-lived, arcade-style experiences. I like this, but some people want more fleshed-out games. Asides from a handful of titles, the 32X doesn't really provide this. It also has some really shoddy ports, but what it does do, it does well.

Another personal favorite of mine that hasn't been named yet is Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000. Some people really hated it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is. Also, I'm on the side of the camp that likes Knuckles Chaotix. I'd even go so far to say I like it more than most other Sonic games--it's colorful, has a fantastic soundtrack that is memorable, and has some elements that keep the game fresh today more-so than other titles in the series.

it's colorful, has a fantastic soundtrack that is memorable, and has some elements that keep the game fresh today more-so than other titles in the series.

And this is why we love "The Neverhood". XD

I'm on the neutral side of Knuckles' Chaotix. I just don't like SEGA, but it's a good game marketed for people to buy 32X. Good game = good gimmick =/= good console.

I enjoy the 32X quite a bit, but admittedly its library [of great titles] is limited to short-lived, arcade-style experiences. I like this, but some people want more fleshed-out games. Asides from a handful of titles, the 32X doesn't really provide this. It also has some really shoddy ports, but what it does do, it does well.

Another personal favorite of mine that hasn't been named yet is Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000. Some people really hated it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is. Also, I'm on the side of the camp that likes Knuckles Chaotix. I'd even go so far to say I like it more than most other Sonic games--it's colorful, has a fantastic soundtrack that is memorable, and has some elements that keep the game fresh today more-so than other titles in the series.

I've never really given Zaxxon's Motherbase enough play to say either way what my thoughts are on it but you hit the nail on the head about the short-lived, arcade style of the titles. They really are "pop-in and play" games, which is exactly what I like. Even Chaotix is on the shorter end. I haven't played Tempo enough to decide if it would be a long game or not but it certainly doesn't seem to be. Does anyone know the length of Blackthorne? Then there is Pitfall which I don't know the length of having never played it. That can be an expensive game and I've heard is little different than the Genesis version which can be had pretty cheap.

In the end, given the price of the 32x and some of its better games, I really can't make a case of why it wouldn't be worth it. But, like I said before, I like the 32x and the libary of games that I have collected so far.

Edited by GKC

I haven't played Tempo enough to decide if it would be a long game or not but it certainly doesn't seem to be. ... Then there is Pitfall which I don't know the length of having never played it. That can be an expensive game and I've heard is little different than the Genesis version which can be had pretty cheap.

If I remember right, Tempo is your standard length for a '94 platformer. I recall finishing it in an hour or two, maybe slightly less.

Pitfall can probably be done in about an hour as well, albeit it has some fairly tricky segments. It will probably take longer because of that. As far as the port itself, yes, it's not great. It has the higher color count of the Jaguar version, but also like the Jaguar game it has framerate inconsistencies that you don't find in the SNES, Genesis or Sega CD versions. The sound effects are identical to the Genesis game as well, and the soundtrack hasn't been modified either. The music really does sound terrible. :|

Does it fit properly on a model 1 Genesis?

Totally worth it. There are only 36 US releases plus three imports, making it really easy to collect for. Games like Knuckles' Chaotix, Kolibri, Star Wars Arcade, DOOM, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racer, Shadow Squadron, and Blackthorne make the system worth owning. Not to mention what's probably the best home version of MKII. Golf and NBA Jam are pretty good too.

And, yes, it fits into a Model 1 Genesis perfectly. For a Model 2 it requires a spacer. If you get a 32X be sure to get a complete one. It requires special cables to work that are often missing from sets sold online. The Model 1 and Model 2 use different ones.

And this is why we love "The Neverhood". XD

If you are talking about the PC game from the early 90s I'm with you, good stuff, once you speed the game play up with the cheat anyway.

The 32x is one of my favorite systems. Mortal Kombat 2 on it is amazing for the time. There might not be a pile of greatness for the system, but its cool. The 32x is one of those things that you have to have to say you have it if nothing else.

I'm going to get a 32x. Then my Genesis will be complete and i can play the other Virtua Racing and Star Wars.

Reinhardt, you are like a kid in a candy store, 53 posts today!!!

I like the groove here. You guys seem to be pretty cool. Besides, I don't have to work today. :)