IGNORED

Games Beaten in 2011!

OoE is so hard! Great throw-back to stone age CV. Have you played Rondo of Blood or Dracula X Chronicles?

Only Rondo of Blood. Great music and graphics, but regarding gameplay my favourite linear CV remains the Mega Drive version. It has some stages not found in any other game and the last stage is the best, hardest and most action packed I have seen.

Swords & Soldiers (Wiiware) - by far my best Wiiware purchase yet. Awesome fun. ;)

Hm... I guess I could just try the demo on the PS3 if the versions aren't totally different. Does it heavily rely on Wii specific gimmicks?

Well, it's a simplified RTS, so it requires a fair amount of pointing and clicking. No gestures, though. Not sure how they translated it to the PS3's controller, so I dunno.

1UP.com liked it well enough:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/swords-soldiers-review

I agree with that review that it's somewhat short-lived - but IMO it was a good ride and well worth the $10 or whatever it was. I went through the campaign, which took me about 5 hours, maybe, then put in a few more hours playing skirmishes and some of the challenges before I moved on to something else (namely, Dawn of Discovery).

• 2 weeks later...

12. Star Strike (Intellivision)

Beat Levels 1-5, and took out five consecutive targets on Level 6. That counts as beating the game as far as I'm concerned.

13. Toys: Let The Toy Wars Begin! (SNES)

Having played the Genesis version quite a bit, the SNES version was easy enough to beat.

14. Marble Madness (Tengen/J) (Genesis)

Beat Very Hard mode by the skin of my teeth (1-2 seconds left at the end). Absolutely terrific port.

Edited by thegoldenband

14. Marble Madness (Tengen/J) (Genesis)

Beat Very Hard mode by the skin of my teeth (1-2 seconds left at the end). Absolutely terrific port.

Dude, you amaze me! Marble Madness has a ridiculously high difficulty level! I have, in the past, owned it on the NES and GBA. Never got past the second level.

I did beat one insanely hard game recently: Donkey Kong Country Returns. I am currently playing Donkey Kong (GB) which also seems really tough.

Dude, you amaze me! Marble Madness has a ridiculously high difficulty level! I have, in the past, owned it on the NES and GBA. Never got past the second level.

Awww, thanks! Marble Madness is one of my favorite games, and I've logged a lot of hours on it through the years. There's something about it which reminds me of playing classical music -- it's always the same, yet always different, and you're constantly finding different nuances in your approach. Once you get your patterns down, the first five levels become relatively straightforward, but the last level remains a serious challenge no matter what.

I loved the NES version in its day, but I've been spoiled by this Japan-only port for the Genesis, which is pretty much arcade-perfect, and a huge improvement over the Electronic Arts version. Haven't played the GBA version, though I like the idea of making a pet project of beating all the released versions. So far I've done four -- arcade, NES, and the two Genesis ports -- but I don't know if I can stomach the SMS port, which has horrendous play mechanics.

Edited by thegoldenband

15. Fantasia (Genesis)

Beat on Hard mode, 1 Dream/1 Continue (which I didn't use). The main difference between Normal and Hard is that the enemies can withstand a lot more punishment (and inflict more damage), which gets frustrating very quickly.

It's a mediocre game at best, but not really that hard since it's quite easy to stock up on extra lives. At heart it's just a very raw, unpolished version of Castle of Illusion, and the same things that annoy me about COI (a game which has never much impressed me) are the biggest problems in Fantasia, IMHO. Fantasia is just that much cheaper, and of course it has all kinds of bugs, rough edges, and inexcusable design flaws as a bonus.

I'm also impressed that you completed "Contra Hard Corps". It lives up to its title.

Yeah, I've never gotten anywhere in that one... need to sit down and make an effort, and need to go back and work on The Alien Wars, which I've gotten farther into but not finished.

The difficulty in "Alien Wars" ramps up to almost impossible by around the third stage.

Contra 4 on the DS is the same, hard to the point of obsurdity. Still a good one though.

Just beat Genesis Earthworm Jim. Didn't have to continue at all. I did it before but probably not since the 90's. Buttville (last level) took a few tries for me to maneuver and finally win. The final boss, once you know what to do, is not difficult at all. Next I'm going to play the Sega CD version. Then the Saturn version of Earthworm Jim 2, which I never beat.

Edited by Cafeman

Mechassault (XBOX) - (B+) Solid third-person shooter all-around.

Jade Empire (XBOX) - (B+) Gets off to a rocky start--the early quests in Tien's Landing are nearly insufferable--but the game picks up steam quickly after that. Fantastic art direction, a fun combat engine, and interesting characters are the game's primary charms. The plot is reasonable, but becomes fairly convoluted as it progresses. Unfortunately, as it near the end, it begins to stumble quite badly. Still a very good game, and one that most certainly deserved a sequel.

God of War (PS2) - (A) Best game I've played on the PS2. Probably could have used a couple more boss battles though.

Black (PS2) - (A-) Best FPS on that generation of hardware not named Halo. Visceral masterpiece with outstanding art direction and level design. I can't believe what they were able to achieve with this game on PS2 hardware. Thoroughly underrated. Unskippable cutscenes a BIG no-no, however, so it loses half a grade there. Where is the sequel!?

Max Payne (XBOX) - (B) Gets off to a long slow start. Interesting plot, but it swerves wildly all over the place. I'm not sure Norse mythology and the Italian mob make for a good marriage, but it is unique--I'll gve it that. Comic book presentation is noteworthy, but obviously Scandinavian actors portraying hard-nosed Italian mobsters is jarring. Ultimately, it was the shooter elements of this game that ended up saving it, which surprised me.

Far Cry Instincts (XBOX) - (B) This game does a lot of very nice things, but in the end, significant flaws keep it from greatness. The game is a visual tour-de-force to be certain, and multi-route design in the early levels is fantastic. But iffy control in combat, linearity in later levels, useless instinct powers (why are they even in this game?), and worst of all, a weak story and terrible plot undercut the game's strengths. You know, I'll never understand why game designers put so much obvious effort into producing beautiful games like this, only to tack on throw-away stories that don't allow the player to become truly invested in the experience. Indeed, the story/plot here is so awful that it actually keeps the player at arms length--disappointing, and frankly, shameful.

Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - (B+) I HATED MGS 2, and dreaded being subjected to another round of Kojima's pretensions in this sequel (actually, prequel), so I was very apprehensive about this game. Thankfully, this game is much better than MGS 2. Unlike MGS 2, there is actual gameplay here, and it's good. There are a couple of really fine boss battles, especially against "The End". The plot is still far-fetched and serpentine, but it's nowhere near the impenetrable Byzantine train wreck of MGS 2. By the time this game starts to undo itself, it's almost over anyway, so I was able to just ignore most of its late game convolutions.

Ultima III (PC) - (N/A) - A classic. Much, much more of a grind-fest than I remembered it to be, however.

I'm way up there now. I've had a lot of time to play video games this year for a college student and part-time worker:

Completion date log:

1/2/2011

1. Super Mario Bros. - NES

2. Super Mario Bros. 2j Repro - NES

3. Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES

4. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES

1/9/2011

5. The Legend of Zelda - NES

1/15/2010

6. Zelda 2 - NES

7. Kirby's Dream Land - GB

8. Super Mario Land - GB

1/16/2011

9. Kirby's Adventure - NES

10. Faxanadu - NES

1/26/2011

11. Dragon Warrior - NES

12. Super Mario World - SNES

13. Super Mario Land 2 - GB

14. Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis

15. Sonic the Hedgehog - SMS

16. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Genesis

17. Sonic CD - Sega CD

1/29/2011

18. Super Mario All-Stars - SNES

2/1/2011

19. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - SMS

20. Sonic Chaos - SMS

2/5/2011

21. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES

2/6/2011

22. Sonic the Hedgehog - Game Gear (via SADX GCN)

23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Game Gear (via SADX GCN)

2/9/2011

24. Sonic Chaos - Game Gear (via SADX GCN)

2/13/2011

25. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Game Boy

26. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Genesis

27. Sonic & Knuckles - Genesis

2/17/2011

28. Donkey Kong - Game Boy

29. Donkey Kong Country - SNES

30. Donkey Kong Land - GB

31. Sonic Triple Trouble - Game Gear (via SADX GCN)

2/20/2011

32. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES

2/24/2011

33. Sonic Blast - Game Gear (via SADX GCN)

34. Sonic 3D Blast - Genesis

35. Sonic 3D Blast - Saturn

3/2/2011

36. Super Mario 64 - N64

3/5/2011

37. Donkey Kong Country 2 - SNES

38. Donkey Kong Land 2 - GB

39. Bust-A-Move - Neo Geo CD

3/6/2011

40. Bust-A-Move - 3DO

3/13/2011

41. Beyond the Beyond - PS1

3/21/2011

42. Suikoden - PS1

3/28/2011

43. Gex - PS1

3/31/2011

44. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - GB

4/2/2011

45. Kirby's Dream Land 2 - GB

46. Donkey Kong Country 3 - SNES

47. Donkey Kong Land III - GB

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Donkey Kong 64 for way to long without having beaten it

I was thinking this back in November and set out to final finish the game. It took me nearly 3 months to do so, but I beat it, and with 100% completion (or 101% or whatever it was. I got everything)

I haven't posted here yet this year, but here is my list so far.

Nintendo 64

Donkey Kong 64

1080 Snowboarding

WWF No Mercy

Game Boy

Pokemon Yellow Version

3DS

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

19. Championship Tennis (Intellivision)

At last! The computer opponent is very difficult indeed on Championship difficulty, but I finally managed to break through, winning 7-5 6-2 6-3 on the claycourts of Roland Garros. A straight-sets victory was unimaginable even a week ago, when I was lucky to win one game per match, but I found a winning strategy.

Since the grasscourts of Wimbledon and the hardcourts of the U.S. Open don't seem to play any differently, i.e. the changes are cosmetic only, I'm calling this one done.

Edited by thegoldenband

And right on the heels of that...

20. Wonder Dog (Sega CD)

I'd only played this platformer once before for a few minutes, and decided to fire it up tonight. It turned out to be a total cakewalk, and I beat it in one sitting. Cute game with appealing music, but way too easy. It even has passwords, which I dutifully wrote down but never used!