IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Atari 2600

Kaboom!-516 minutes

High score of the week: 113,440

I've been having trouble ever since my paddles went jittery. I sprayed the inside with

WD-40 and the paddles work fine now, but when they were jittery they threw off my concentration and I can't seem to get it fully back. Hopefully this week will be better.

I had kind of fell off keeping track of my play, but I'll try again… I'll post some of my plays for the past few days and will continue to do so as I remember!

for January 7, 2011:

Atari 2600 (played on the 7800):

Kaboom! - 50 minutes

Atari Jaguar:

Pinball Fantasies - 30 minutes

for January 8, 2011:

Atari 2600 (played on the 7800):

Kaboom! - 45 minutes

Sega Master System:

The Ninja - 35 minutes

Penguin Land - 15 minutes

Rocky - 30 minutes

Atari Jaguar:

Checkered Flag - 45 minutes

Skiing & Snowboarding - 40 minutes

the rest of my time had been spent on GT5 on the PS3 and several shooters on the Japanese Xbox 360

My play for this week - all on just one console!!!!

Sega Megadrive

Speedball 2 - 1 Hour

The Flintstones - 15 Minutes

Moonwalker - 30 Minutes

Rolling Thunder 2 - 20 Minutes

Outrun - 15 Minutes

Dragon's Fury - 30 Minutes

Streets Of Rage 3 - 30 Minutes

Side Pocket - 30 Minutes

Wonderboy 3 - 30 Minutes

Super Hang-On - 20 Minutes

Sensible Soccer - 30 Minutes

Shinobi 3 - 30 Minutes

Atari 2600

Kaboom!-516 minutes

I've been having trouble ever since my paddles went jittery. I sprayed the inside with

WD-40 and the paddles work fine now, but when they were jittery they threw off my concentration and I can't seem to get it fully back. Hopefully this week will be better.

516 Minutes on a single Atari game? Now that's what I call dedication. You know how to truly enjoy Atari and resist the ADD most of us have when it comes to playing games that are more simple or quick.

Here are my times for this past week (January 3rd through 9th)...

This week, I only played Facebook and PC games, all of which are not eligible for the Top 10:

Cafe world (Facebook) 15 minutes in 2 sessions

Cityville (Facebook) 765 minutes in 12 sessions

Farmville (Facebook) 34 minutes

Frontierville (Facebook) 2 minutes

ORF Ski Challenge '11 (PC) 15 minutes

Restaurant City (Facebook) 39 minutes

Serienentführer (Facebook) 13 minutes

Tetris Battle (Facebook) 83 minutes

The Settlers (Facebook) 137 minutes in 13 sessions

Treasure Isle (Facebook) 13 minutes

Gaming time has been cut down a bit this week to 1116 minutes, which is 159 minutes per day. It will probably be further reduced next week which again is a full working week after the holidays, including the first meeting of the Viennese TI-99 club. But I'm more or less fed up with Cityville and The Settlers anyway. In Cityville, each expansion not only needs coins (which you can earn by yourself), but also Zoning permits (which you have to get from other players), which slows down the growth of your city drastically once you're out of zoning permits (which happened to me from the 7th expansion on). Each expansion needs one permit more, so now for the 8th expansion, you need 8 permits, and it takes some days to get them, so I'm sitting on over 300,000 coins now without being able to use them on additional land because I don't have the zoning permits necessary to expand.

In "The settlers", I'm basically waiting on some specific items to be produced which also takes a long time. You first have to level up the Jewelry to Level 5 in order to get the needed item, but before you can do that, the Jewelry needs to produce a certain number of Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 items... I think it's 40 or more Level 4 items which take 8 hours each to complete.

"Serienentführer" is a very simple game where you take other players to a city of your choice and they have to escape by correctly guessing the city which they have been taken to.

"Tetris Battle" is the only new game I played this week. Basically, it's 2-player Tetris. You play on the left against a recorded game of another player while sending lines to each other by completing lines (like in the Atari Games arcade version). Players get matched by ranking - the winning player gets a star, and with 5 stars you get one rank higher having 2 stars in that rank. If you lose those, it's down one rank. You always get to play against a player of the same rank. There are probably more twists to the game (you earn coins, but I don't know what they should be spent on), but I didn't want to dig any deeper into this one.

• Like 1

Today:

All Sega 32x:

BC Racers - 15 min

Space Harrier - 15 min

Doom - 20 min (I keep wanting to play this game all the way through from the beginning but keep dieing at the end of level five and don't feel like playing the whole level again starting out with only a pistol.... One of these days)

Edited by GKC

Times for the weekend:

Intellivision:

Commando - 18 min.

Defender - 8 min.

Las Vegas Roulette - 16 min.

Nova Blast - 5 min.

Popeye - 7 min.

Stampede - 7 min.

Vectron - 20 min.

Zaxxon - 5 min.

Sega Master System:

F-16 Fighting Falcon - 7 min.

SNES:

Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 - 10 min.

Nintendo 64:

Gauntlet Legends - 110 min.

I know some people like Vectron a lot, but I must be missing something because it seems almost unplayable to me!

Atari 2600

Kaboom!-516 minutes

516 Minutes on a single Atari game? Now that's what I call dedication. You know how to truly enjoy Atari and resist the ADD most of us have when it comes to playing games that are more simple or quick.

A couple of weeks ago I was up to 980. lol I am working on my endurance, and my goal of course is to reach 999,999.

All right, here's the summary for Week 2, running from January 3-9! We logged 3938 minutes of play (not counting games ineligible for the tracker), playing 82 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 611

2. Gauntlet Legends (N64) - 290

3. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 240

4. Arrow Flash (Genesis) - 198

5. Beggar Prince (Genesis) - 190

6. Smurfs (Sega Master System) - 115

7. Asteroids Arcade (Asteroids hack) (Atari 2600) - 80

8. Galaxian (Atari 5200) - 75

9. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (NES/Famicom) - 65

10. Donkey Kong Jr. (Atari 7800) - 60

10. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 60

10. Sensible Soccer (Genesis) - 60

10. Shinobi III (Genesis) - 60

10. Side Pocket (Genesis) - 60

10. Speedball 2 (Genesis) - 60

10. Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis) - 60

10. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Genesis) - 60

10. The Neverhood (Windows 95/98) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 611

2. Asteroids Arcade (Asteroids hack) (Atari 2600) - 80

3. Galaxian (Atari 5200) - 75

4. Donkey Kong Jr. (Atari 7800) - 60

5. Reindeer Rescue (Atari 2600) - 40

6. Wizard of Wor (Atari 8-bit) - 35

7. Frogger (Official/Starpath) (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Toyshop Trouble (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 25

10. Vectron (Intellivision) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Genesis (1234)

2. Atari 2600 (836)

3. NES (360)

4. Nintendo 64 (320)

5. Atari Jaguar (260)

6. Sega Master System (202)

7. Sega 32X (150)

8. Atari 5200 (120)

9. Intellivision (86)

10. Atari 7800 (60)

10. PC (Windows 95/98) (60)

Kaboom regains the top spot on both charts for individual games -- it's kind of like the Beatles in the 1960s, at the top of the charts more often than not -- but the #1 system for the week was the Sega Genesis by a landslide. Meanwhile, the 32X continues its triumphant return from oblivion.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 2

Genesis

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 - 60 minutes

Atari 2600

Fast Food - 5 minutes

Infiltrate - 10 minutes

Pac-man - 10 minutes

Pitfall - 10 minutes

Intellivision

Commando - 10 minutes

Lock 'n' Chase - 20 minutes

Shark! Shark! - 25 minutes

Thunder Castle - 15 minutes

SNES

Super Punch-Out - 30 minutes

Good to see the tracker back. Hope it lasts the whole year.

Had to finish up my season to Tecmo Super Bowl. I took the Packers to a third straight undefeated season and as usual Brett Favre got injured during the NFC Championship so I had to win another with Ty Detmer. That's 3 for 3 with Detmer so I started a 4th season and traded Favre away for Drew Bledsoe. Hopefully he's a bit more durable.

I hadn't played my 2600 in a while so I fired it up with some of my favorite games. Infiltrate is still my favorite game on the system but I know I didn't do too well tonight. Fast Food I played just so I could see the screens that say "You're getting fatter!" Pac-man is a love it or hate it on this system for most people but I enjoy the game. I'm not good at it but I did set a new personal record of just over 5,000. I hadn't played Pitfall in so long I forgot strategies for clearing certain obstacles such as the 3 crocs you gotta jump on to cross the pond. I was trying to be careful and take my time at first....that didn't work. I then decided to wait until their mouths close and jump 'em all as fast as possible....that did work. Now if I could only get the timing down for jumping the scorpion every time. I always seem to mess up during one of the jumps and just barely hit it on the way down.

For the Intellivision I always enjoyed Shark! Shark!, Lock 'n' Chase and Thunder Castle. I hadn't played Commando in probably 15 years....now I remember why. The game is frustrating. I guess I don't have the angles down or something. I got to the end of the first level but couldn't get past it. It was a good reminder of the torture some Intellivision games could be for me. I had a blast with Thunder Castle though. I like the second level with the wizards the best. Especially when you touch the rat to get the power up, I dig the little tune that's played. There's times when I play the game and just follow the rat around so I can hear the music. I guess that's weird.

I hadn't played Super Punch Out in a while and I got all the way to Mr. Sandman before he kicked my butt. I know there's a pattern for him but I had a serious brain fart tonight and just couldn't do it. After you knock him down twice he gets up and just starts throwing punches like crazy. He does a very obvious pattern and if I could get my brain and my hands wired correctly I'd knock him down the third time and get the TKO. Even though he's throwing punches, for most of them you can sneak some counter punches in. There's a few times when you just want to dodge and then he'll start the whole sequence over. Usually I can get past him and on to the last circuit. I've never beaten the game but just trying to set fastest KO times against each fighter is fun.

I think tomorrow night I have a few SNES games I have never tried out Utopia, Prince of Persia and Donkey Kong Country 2. I guess I should play them to make sure they work.

SNES

Super Punch-Out - 35 minutes

Finally got past Mr. Sandman. Got to the World Circuit and easily beat Aran Ryan. Had 4 close bouts with Keike Kagero but he bested me. He does a move where he whips his long hair around and knocks you out with it. I couldn't get the timing down but since I'm on the World Circuit now I can keep trying him.

Today:

32x:

Doom - 50 min

NES:

Super Mario Bros. - 10 min

TECMO - 10 min

Metroid - 5 min

Contra - 30 min

I got my NES back to working order. I had pulled it out of storage months ago and it didn't work (well it worked every 30th time or so) so I set it aside and didn't think about it. Today though I just had to play some NES so I tore it apart and cleaned everything and it works like a charm not now.

Here are my times for this week (January 10th through 16th)...

Classic games:

Trains (C-64) 155 minutes

Wizball (C-64) 52 minutes

Non-eligible for the Top 10:

Cafe World (Facebook) 73 minutes

Cityville (Facebook) 212 minutes in 13 sessions

Farmville (Facebook) 5 minutes

The settlers - My city (Facebook) 116 minutes in 13 sessions

Yoville (Facebook) 4 minutes

Probably non-eligible:

Donkey Kong (Uzebox) 9 minutes

Frogger (Uzebox) 3 minutes

Space Invaders (Uzebox) 7 minutes

Total playing time: 636 minutes

I played two classic games on the C-64 this week. "Trains" is an educational game by Spinnaker where you have a not-too-complicated railway network and have to guide a train through it in order to pick up and deliver goods and occasionally refuel. After pretty much having depleted all available supplies, you are allowed to advance to the next round. There are 8 rounds in total, and 4 different types of goods with a supplier and a "user" each. The first round starts with only transporting oil, and on the last round, there are facilities for all types of goods, and you have four different wagons on your train to accomodate all of them. The game itself is interesting for a time, but it's not too hard (not even the last round) and not very fast-paced. I completed it in a single session, and I don't think I'll play it again.

I think I don't have to say too much about "Wizball", which is a pretty well-known C-64 game, and an original one at that. Most games "originate" on one system, and the "original" version on that system is usually the best one. Here it's clearly the C-64 this game has been written for (although it has subsequently been ported to many other systems). This is one of the games where you can throw in a quick session every now and then.

As for the Uzebox, I replayed three ports on it, "Donkey Kong", "Frogger" and "Space Invaders". The "Space Invaders" port contains many mistakes such as the fleet not getting faster with each killed invader. "Donkey Kong" is pretty much spot-on, except for some shrinked sprites (because the Uzebox only allows for a limited number of 8x8 sprites, but in 256 colors). "Frogger" reminds more of the C-64 version than the arcade original. In case you don't know, the Uzebox is a retro-minimalist 8-bit open source game console based on an AVR 8-bit general purpose microcontroller which more or less generates all the signals directly, but there's an interrupt system offering various screen modes freeing the developer from the chore of having to update the screen. Due to memory constraints (the total addressable range is only 64K), it doesn't offer a full framebuffer, but only tiled graphics and a few small sprites, but in 256 out of 8 million colors.

Then there's the usual slew of Facebook games where I cut down severely on gaming time since I've reached a point in most games where they aren't very interesting anymore, or quests you have to do take a long time to complete. For instance, in Cityville, I'm now building a carousel which requires other players sending me a set of different things in various numbers (5 things in total with 3 to 4 of each required). I played "Cafe World" a bit more intensively, but now have reached a point where each quest requires requesting some items from other players, which I'd rather not do since I'm not so fond of that game.

Total gaming time was only 636 minutes this week, that's 91 minutes per day, only 57% of my gaming time last week. But I knew this was about to happen... actually, I consider my target playing time an average of 30 minutes per day, but I haven't been so far down for the last 5 years now.

[Here is what I have played in the last week:

Atari Jaguar

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - 30 Minutes

Sega Megadrive

Xenon 2 - 30 Minutes

Speedball 2 - 1 Hour

Dragon's Revenge - 30 Minutes

Sonic Spinball - 30 Minutes

Empire Of Steel - 30 Minutes

Shadow Dancer - 15 Minutes

Eswat - 15 Minutes

Wonderboy 3 - 30 Minutes