IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

My times for Friday - Sunday:

Arcade:

King and Balloon - 6 min.

Rolling Thunder - 9 min.

MSX:

Road Fighter - 10 min.

Konami's Boxing - 8 min.

Sega Genesis:

Castle of Illusion - 77 min.

PlayStation:

Philosoma - 15 min.

Nintendo 64:

Gauntlet Legends - 165 min.

My girlfriend and I finally finished Gauntlet Legends on Expert difficulty, which was our second run through the game (we beat it on Normal last year). It really wasn't much harder at all, though my archer almost got killed during the final battle with Skorne, who was directing nearly all of his attacks at me. We also lost some time to a weird glitch when I somehow got trapped somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, forcing us to restart the level.

Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with Castle of Illusion. It's not supposed to be a tough platformer at all, but to me the play control seems subpar -- Mickey moves slowly in general, and I find myself missing easy jumps because I'm overestimating his horizontal momentum. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see more of the final level, but right now my impression is that the game is somewhat overrated; I certainly enjoyed World of Illusion more.

• Like 1

My times for last week:

Sega Megadrive

Thunderforce II - 30 Minutes

Crackdown - 45 Minutes

Turbo Outrun - 20 Minutes

Spiderman - 10 Minutes

James Bond 007: The Duel - 10 Minutes

Thunderforce IV - 30 Minutes

Atari 2600

Centipede - 20 Minutes

Combat - 10 Minutes

Frogger - 10 Minutes

Mostly been playing alot of Megadrive again this week when I had the chance, got a real passion for this machine at the moment and still have some more new games on the way. The 2600 times were all because I was testing a bunch of systems and joysticks, I honestly can't remember the last time I actually sat down to play 2600 games.

Here's the summary for Week 4, running from January 17-23. We logged 3341 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 830

2. Dragon Warrior (NES/Famicom) - 483

3. Wizball (C64) - 365

4. Monopoly (Sega Master System) - 195

5. Gauntlet Legends (N64) - 165

6. Doom (Sega 32X) - 155

7. Castle of Illusion (Genesis) - 77

8. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Genesis) - 70

8. Kolibri (Sega 32X) - 70

10. Dreadnaught Factor (Atari 5200) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 830

2. Wizball (C64) - 365

3. Dreadnaught Factor (Atari 5200) - 60

4. Shark! Shark! (Intellivision) - 30

5. Popeye (Intellivision) - 25

6. ABPA Backgammon (Intellivision) - 20

7. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 20

8. Crazy Climber (Arcade) - 19

9. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 15

9. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit) - 15

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (870)

2. NES/Famicom (553)

3. C64 (365)

4. Genesis (292)

5. Sega 32X (290)

6. Sega Master System (195)

7. N64 (165)

8. Intellivision (133)

9. Turbografx-16 (95)

10. Atari Jaguar (90)

Kaboom and the Atari 2600 are still at the top of the heap, with the NES and C64 following behind. A very respectable week for the Sega systems, though, and the 32X continues its strong run. Meanwhile the SNES is completely AWOL this week.

• Like 2

Hey good question for some upcoming posts I am going to make - you said at the beginning that if an arcade game is part of a compilation but has not been altered greatly from its original version, list that as an original arcade game, not just as a compilation title. But what about compilations of other types of games? Here are some situations where I think some guidelines should be established.

Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection and Sonic Adventure DX all have exact copies of the original classic games on them. Those would make sense to list as the individual original games as they are played. I may use Sonic Adventure DX to play the Game Gear games instead of the original cartridges because I need to capture video.

Example:

Game Gear

Sonic the Hedgehog (via Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube) - x minutes

But what about situations where the games have been updated from their original form or changed greatly so they would not count as the original? Examples being Super Mario All-Stars for SNES. Would we list all of our Super Mario All-Stars gameplay as one entry; one big game? Or break it up into four games? here's an example of keeping the two platforms separate:

NES

Super Mario Bros. - x minutes

SNES

Super Mario Bros. (via Super Mario All Stars) - x minutes

We certainly shouldn't list the Super Mario All-Stars playthrough as the NES game or give it NES minutes because it was not the NES version.

Same thing with collections like Dragon Warrior I & II for Game Boy Color, Final Fantasy I & II for Game Boy Advance, and Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Anthology, & Final Fantasy Chronicles for PS1. Each entry in each series would be listed as their own game but labeled for the system it was played on rather than its original platform?

Example -

Game Boy Color:

Dragon Warrior I (via DW I & II) - x minutes

Dragon Warrior II (via DW I & II) - x minutes

PS1:

Chrono Trigger (via FF Chronicles) - x minutes

Final Fantasy VI (via FF Anthology) - x minutes

So what I am thinking here was that even though Chrono Trigger, FF6 etc. were originally SNES games and not much was changed, these are still Playstation versions and should be listed as Playstation minutes not SNES minutes, correct?

Or are we just going to go the easy route and call every compilation one game and just say

SNES:

Super Mario All-Stars - x minutes

PS1:

Final Fantasy Anthology - x minutes

Final Fantasy Chronicles - x minutes

Final Fantasy Origins - x minutes

Game Boy Color:

Dragon Warrior I & II - x minutes

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

I think the simplest answer is that a lot of this is left up to the discretion of the poster, since we don't have a rules committee with intimate familiarity with the entire video game literature. :) But in general, I'd say compilations of "remakes" should be counted as one entry, as long as the individual games haven't been separately released on that system.

In the case of Super Mario All-Stars, for example, my inclination is to just count the compilation as a whole. The games have been collectively remade to adopt a unified graphic style and save system, and adjust to the SNES hardware. Since Super Mario 2 (for example) wasn't released on its own for the SNES, there's really no benefit to singling it out for its own entry -- you can't play it on the SNES without playing Super Mario All-Stars, so there's no danger that a hypothetical "standalone" version of Super Mario 2 will get shorted, if that makes sense.

So, basically, the "easy route". :D But again, it's an entirely different kettle of fish if we're talking about compilations of emulated games. The MSX and arcade games I posted earlier were all played via PlayStation, for example, but they're clearly non-updated and almost certainly use partial or full emulation. Crazy Climber '85 is a trickier case, but I'm still convinced it's either an unreleased prototype or a game released under a different name.

• Like 1

I think the simplest answer is that a lot of this is left up to the discretion of the poster, since we don't have a rules committee with intimate familiarity with the entire video game literature. :) But in general, I'd say compilations of "remakes" should be counted as one entry, as long as the individual games haven't been separately released on that system.

In the case of Super Mario All-Stars, for example, my inclination is to just count the compilation as a whole. The games have been collectively remade to adopt a unified graphic style and save system, and adjust to the SNES hardware. Since Super Mario 2 (for example) wasn't released on its own for the SNES, there's really no benefit to singling it out for its own entry -- you can't play it on the SNES without playing Super Mario All-Stars, so there's no danger that a hypothetical "standalone" version of Super Mario 2 will get shorted, if that makes sense.

So, basically, the "easy route". :D But again, it's an entirely different kettle of fish if we're talking about compilations of emulated games. The MSX and arcade games I posted earlier were all played via PlayStation, for example, but they're clearly non-updated and almost certainly use partial or full emulation. Crazy Climber '85 is a trickier case, but I'm still convinced it's either an unreleased prototype or a game released under a different name.

I am guessing the only time it would get tricky is if you play the version of Super Mario All-Stars that has Super Mario World included on it. Now which game are you playing? haha. Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES and Sonic Classics 3-in-1 or 6-Pak for Genesis are ones where it would be a good idea to state exactly which game you are playing as well.

Edited by TheGameCollector

I am guessing the only time it would get tricky is if you play the version of Super Mario All-Stars that has Super Mario World included on it. Now which game are you playing? haha.

I thought about that one! :D That'd be a "splitter", i.e. counted for one or the other, for sure.

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES and Sonic Classics 3-in-1 or 6-Pak for Genesis are ones where it would be a good idea to state exactly which game you are playing as well.

Absolutely agreed, and in fact I've done exactly that in my own posts (played Columns on the 6-Pak and specified the game).

• Like 1

Here are my times for the first part of the week:

Vectrex:

Pole Position - 6 min.

Spike - 4 min.

SNES:

Axelay - 2 min.

Gradius III - 44 min.

Power Rangers Zeo Battle Racers - 8 min.

Skuljagger - 5 min.

Top Gear - 13 min.

Vortex - 8 min.

Xardion - 8 min.

PlayStation:

2 Xtreme - 4 min.

40 Winks - 12 min.

Blast Chamber - 3 min.

Cool Boarders 3 - 4 min.

Killer Loop - 5 min.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - 5 min.

NHL Faceoff '97 - 4 min.

One - 15 min.

Rally Cross - 6 min.

Ridge Racer Revolution - 2 min.

Slowdown notwithstanding, I was really digging Gradius III until I got to the insanely cheap stage that crops up about 20-25 minutes into the game, where super-fast multidirectional autoscrolling leads to lots of instant death-by-collision-with-walls. Suddenly almost all the goodwill I had for the game evaporated -- I hate it when shooters are super-easy for the first 4-5 stages, and then turn ridiculously hard (or at least cheap) at the end.

Most of the PlayStation gaming was me checking out various titles from a couple of demo discs I picked up at a yard sale. Even though I didn't play it for very long, the standout for me was Cool Boarders 3, which was surprisingly fun. Still, with the exception of games like Tomba! and the fantastic anthologies of arcade and MSX titles, there's something about PlayStation gaming that I find vaguely depressing/overwhelming...somehow it makes me wish I were playing Genesis or Intellivision instead. Maybe there are just too many buttons.

Side note: I've always been curious about Cool Boarders 3 since, oddly enough, I own the case for it -- it came with the PlayStation lot I bought at a yard sale several years ago, which was sort of my re-entry into real hardware after years of only using emulation. But when I opened it up, the disc inside was Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. I don't think I got the better of that switch. :(

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here are my times for this week (January 24th through 30th)...

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10):

Wizball (C-64) 298 minutes in 7 sessions

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Cityville (Facebook) 261 minutes in 19 sessions

The settlers (Facebook) 41 minutes in 12 sessions

Goo games (various games) (Facebook) 82 minutes

G-Rally (PC) 7 minutes

Total gaming time: 689 minutes (98 minutes per day)

As you can see, the only classic game I played was, again, Wizball. The more I play it, the deeper I get insights in how it works. There are about 10 types of enemies (plus some more in the bonus stage), and at the start of the game, only two of them fire at you, but as the game progresses, more and more of them start to fire. It's crucial to know which ones do and which ones don't, because the ones that don't pretty much fly in pre-defined paths, so you can get very near to them as long as you don't touch them. I couldn't find out (yet) what exactly triggers each type of enemy to start firing... it may be the completion of a given number of colors, the passing of a given score or something else.

As for the non-classic games, there are two new games among the bunch: Goo games is a collection of puzzle games on Facebook, including clones of Puzzle Bobble and Zuma (or, rather, Puzz Loop which Zuma actually is a clone of). In another goo game, you have to traverse mazes with your "goo" as fast as possible, and each maze is bigger in size. I didn't log exactly how long I played each of the "Goo" games.

Finally, G-Rally is a 3D racing game made with Game Maker. While the graphics are a bit sparse, it's still very much playable.

• Like 1

My times for the weekend:

Sega Genesis:

Castle of Illusion - 302 min.

Beggar Prince - 386 min.

Sega Dreamcast:

Speed Devils - 65 min.

Finally beat Castle of Illusion on Normal (without continuing), and then started working on Hard. On the higher difficulty setting the game fills the levels with heat-seeking bats which spawn just offscreen, à la Castlevania (and El Viento, among other games), leading to lots of cheap hits. This may be my least favorite tactic in all of platforming, and is frustrating indeed. Still, I managed to get all the way to the final boss, Mizrabel the witch, but couldn't finish her off.

Also picked up Beggar Prince for the first time in a few weeks, and made some progress in the game. Things got pretty tedious for a while there, and the game's unorthodox combat system was starting to drive me nuts (especially given the overly high random encounter rate). However, once I got the Axe, matters improved quite a bit.

I got quite a bit of gaming done this week. Here is the list:

NES:

Dragon Warrior - 226 minutes (game finally completed)

Sega Master System:

Sonic the Hedgehog - 53 minutes

Game Boy:

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 88 minutes

Sega Genesis:

Sonic the Hedgehog - 47 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 270 minutes

(includes 3 full playthroughs; 1 as each character combo, and a bad take that froze up at the end of Oil Ocean Zone)

Super Nintendo:

Super Mario World - 156 minutes

Super Mario All-Stars - 342 minutes (beat all 4 games)

Sega CD:

Sonic CD - 76 minutes

Whoa! That's 1258 total minutes of gaming. I surprised myself.

• Like 1

Here are my play times for the last week:

Sega Megadrive

Forgotten Worlds - 1 Hour

Outrun 2019 - 30 Minutes

Dick Tracy - 20 Minutes

Galaxy Force 2 - 20 Minutes

Golden Axe 2 - 30 Minutes

Batman - 15 Minutes

Crackdown - 1 Hour

Shadow Dancer - 15 Minutes

Dragons Revenge - 1 Hour

Thunderforce 2 - 30 Minutes

Fire Shark - 30 Minutes

Terminator 2 - 20 Minutes

Thunderforce 4 - 30 Minutes

Streets Of Rage 3 - 1 Hour

Team USA Basketball - 15 Minutes

Zany Golf - 30 Minutes

Atari 2600

Breakout - 20 Minutes

Street Racer - 5 Minutes

Centipede - 20 Minutes

Combat - 10 Minutes

Double Dunk - 10 Minutes

Here's the summary for Week 5, running from January 24-30. We logged 4331 minutes of eligible play, playing 62 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 754

2. Beggar Prince (Genesis) - 386

3. Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - 342

4. Castle of Illusion (Genesis) - 302

5. Wizball (C64) - 298

6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 270

7. Super Mario World (SNES) - 261

8. Dragon Warrior (NES/Famicom) - 226

9. Mega Man (NES/Famicom) - 180

10. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy) - 88

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 754

2. Wizball (C64) - 298

3. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 20

3. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 20

5. Centipede (Atari 5200) - 15

6. Combat (Atari 2600) - 10

6. Double Dunk (Atari 2600) - 10

8. Pole Position (Vectrex) - 6

9. Street Racer (Atari 2600) - 5

10. Spike (Vectrex) - 4

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Genesis (1530)

2. Atari 2600 (834)

3. SNES (691)

4. NES/Famicom (416)

5. C64 (298)

6. Sega 32X (180)

7. Game Boy (88)

8. Sega Master System (86)

9. Sega CD (76)

10. Sega Dreamcast (65)

Kaboom continues its reign in the individual category, but the Sega Genesis was absolutely dominant in Week Five, logging more minutes than the #2 and #3 spots combined. The SNES also makes a triumphant return to the top 10 after going completely unplayed last week.

Other than Kaboom and Wizball, pre-crash systems were unusually thin this week, and we barely had enough games to manage a pre-NES top 10. If you've been feeling the urge to bust out that ColecoVision or Astrocade, now's the time!

• Like 2

My times for Monday - Friday:

Vectrex:

Hyperchase - 5 min.

Web Wars - 10 min.

Sega SG-1000:

Chack'n Pop - 167 min.

Sega Genesis:

Beggar Prince - 586 min.

Castle of Illusion - 52 min.

Wings of Wor - 22 min.

Wheel of Fortune - 14 min.

Sega 32X:

Cosmic Carnage - 45 min.

Darxide - 24 min.

Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure - 25 min.

Beat Beggar Prince in a couple of long sessions, and also completed Castle of Illusion on Hard at last. I actually used a trick I discovered to get a bunch of extra lives (or "tries") at the start of COI, but didn't end up needing them. Most of the game is fairly trivial once you've got it memorized, but the last level is still full of cheap, annoying hits.

On a lark, I played Wheel of Fortune on its hardest settings -- two computer players set to Hard mode, and a fast timer -- and won the game handily, including the bonus round, with over $10k at the end. I solved all the puzzles except one, and only missed that one because the timer caught me just as I was filling in the last letters. I guess that means I've "beaten" the game?

I also played through the first 14 levels of Chack'n Pop in order to double-check the English translation I did a while back, since after that you get an ending of sorts (and then the game loops). I used savestates heavily, so it really shouldn't count as beating the game.

The last few levels are hard as hell, at least if you're trying to get through them on one life. The game gives huge bonuses for completing a level without killing any enemies, but that seems completely insane -- I can't see how anyone could do that after the first couple levels. There's a very good page all about the arcade game (and home ports) here, if anyone's interested.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Finishing out the week

Atari Jaguar

Wolfenstein - 35 min

Sega 32x

Virtua Racing - 60 min

Primal Rage - 20 min

After Burner - 45 min

Star Wars Arcade - 35 min

Sega CD

Silpheed - 40 min

Sonic CD - 30 min

SNES

Pilot Wing - 60 min

Just got a Sega CD. Definitely need to get some more games for it but I can see it taking up most of my gaming time for the foreseeable future.