IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Here are my times for the past week (January 31st through February 6th)...

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10):

Wizball (C-64) 168 minutes in 5 sessions

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Cafe World (Facebook) 4 minutes

Cityville (Facebook) 195 minutes in 13 sessions

Farmville (Facebook) 15 minutes

The settlers (Facebook) 76 minutes in 13 sessions

Train station (Facebook) 15 minutes

Happy path (Online game) 15 minutes

Total gaming time was 488 minutes, that is about 70 minutes per day.

In "Wizball", I managed to complete the first three levels, after which you spawn in Level 6, and at that point, the drops start firing at you, though they temporary cease fire if you die. This game took about 45 minutes, in which I completed 11 out of 24 necessary colors, so I guess a complete game would take a bit above 90 minutes.

"Cityville" is getting a bit annoying in that I got a quest in which you have to get 2 NEW neigbors, which requires either introducing some of your non-playing friends to Cityville or adding new friends who already play the game. And since the city gets bigger and bigger, I often run out of energy before I manage to harvest all fields and boats with the result that some of them wither.

A new Facebook game I tried this week was "Train station", in which you see some trains from the side (so not even a 2-d game) and have to fetch earnings from all the wagons and then send the trains away in order to have them return after a time.

A new non-Facebook game I played (but an online game nevertheless) was "Happy path". This was knocked together at a game creation gathering. You walk along a beautiful path in 3D view with somewhat surreal surroundings (think Super Mario 64). You cannot leave the winding path, and it also has no forks. Along the way you read some letters from the creator who complains how beautiful this land was previously, but all living beings have been removed from it (the topic of the gathering was "Extinction"). Eventually you arrive at the castle only to find that there's no way to get any further, so you go back all the way only to find there's also nothing to find at the start. Grrrr....

• Like 1

My times for the weekend:

Vectrex:

Minestorm - 13 min.

Sega SG-1000:

Champion Tennis - 8 min.

Guzzler - 2 min.

Ninja Princess - 3 min.

Sega Genesis:

Dangerous Seed - 2 min.

Marble Madness (Tengen) - 46 min.

Sega 32X:

Cosmic Carnage - 200 min.

Metal Head - 92 min.

Spiderman: Web of Fire - 19 min.

T-Mek - 7 min.

World Series Baseball Starring Deion Sanders - 45 min.

Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 - 8 min.

Played a lot of 32X this weekend, and beat Cosmic Carnage and Metal Head on their easiest settings. I'd beaten Cosmic Carnage before, but this was the first time I got the best ending, which I think requires that you beat all seven opponents using less than 11-ish minutes on the clock (not sure of the exact number yet). Hard to imagine doing that on the highest difficulty level (#5), but I pulled it off on #1, at least.

I also played a full game of 32X World Series Baseball which was pretty underwhelming, with terrible crowd sounds that my girlfriend likened to a malfunctioning white noise generator. I had a heck of a time finding any rhythm at bat, but avoided a shutout with a solo home run -- one of my only two hits. The end result was 6-1, Houston over Boston.

Finally, I beat the Tengen version of Marble Madness on Medium for the first time, which was a nice surprise. The stock six-button Sega controller feels great for this game, much better than the stiffer 3-button pad. Now on to Hard...

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 6, running from January 31 - February 6. We logged 3671 minutes of eligible play, playing 47 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Beggar Prince (Genesis) - 586

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 478

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 298

4. Cosmic Carnage (Sega 32X) - 245

5. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 180

6. Wizball (C64) - 168

7. Chack'n Pop (SG-1000) - 167

8. Columns (Genesis) - 120

9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear) - 99

10. Metal Head (Sega 32X) - 92

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 478

2. Wizball (C64) - 168

3. Chack'n Pop (SG-1000) - 167

4. Centipede (Atari 5200) - 30

5. Minestorm (Vectrex) - 13

6. Web Wars (Vectrex) - 10

7. Champion Tennis (SG-1000) - 8

8. Hyperchase (Vectrex) - 5

9. Ninja Princess (SG-1000) - 3

10. Guzzler (SG-1000) - 2

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Genesis (1087)

2. Sega 32X (625)

3. Atari 2600 (478)

4. SNES (358)

5. Atari Jaguar (305)

6. Sega Master System (192)

7. Sega SG-1000 (180)

8. C64 (168)

9. Game Gear (150)

10. Sega CD (70)

Beggar Prince dethrones Kaboom for the #1 overall spot, thus putting the Sega Genesis at the top of both charts for which it's eligible. Meanwhile, the 32X does something that previously only happened in Tom Kalinske's wildest dreams, taking the #2 spot on the system charts! Indeed, Sega systems accounted for six of the top 10 spots.

Another thin week for pre-NES systems, unfortunately -- in fact, all our numbers were down substantially from last week. It'd be great to get more participants. Feel free to spread the word to folks in the various High Score Clubs!

(BTW the SG-1000 actually came out on the exact same day as the NES, but since it's essentially identical to ColecoVision hardware I feel justified in grouping it with other pre-crash systems.)

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here are my Monday - Wednesday times:

Intellivision:

Championship Tennis - 45 min.

Arcade:

Gauntlet II - 4 min.

Hard Drivin' - 3 min.

Mortal Kombat II - 4 min.

Sega Genesis:

Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin - 35 min.

SNES:

Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin - 5 min.

Dreamcast:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - 15 min.

Toy Commander - 62 min.

Worms World Party - 55 min.

Played Championship Tennis for the first time in a while and got flattened by the computer, 6-2 6-1 6-0, on one of the intermediate difficulty modes. It's amusing that I got worse as the match went on -- I thought I'd improve as the rust came off, but I guess not! Kind of silly that you can't choose the number of sets you want to play...

• Like 1

(BTW the SG-1000 actually came out on the exact same day as the NES, but since it's essentially identical to ColecoVision hardware I feel justified in grouping it with other pre-crash systems.)

On which day was that?

That's not true for Austria, anyway... the SG-1000 never was released here, only its successor, the Sega Master System... which appeared, as far as I remember, in Summer 1986, one year before the NES hit Austrian shelves in Summer 1987.

On which day was that?

July 15, 1983!

That's not true for Austria, anyway... the SG-1000 never was released here, only its successor, the Sega Master System... which appeared, as far as I remember, in Summer 1986, one year before the NES hit Austrian shelves in Summer 1987.

Sorry, I should've specified that I meant the original, Japanese releases of these consoles (and also should've said "Famicom", not NES). The SG-1000 was never released in the US either, FWIW, though the Dina 2-in-1 came along some years later.

• Like 1

Tues + Wed:

Sega CD

Sonic CD - 45 min

Silpheed - 30 min

Terminator - 30 min

Terminator for the Sega CD is an excellent game. Definitely a must buy for anyone with a SCD. :thumbsup:

I was off on my days. This was for Wed + Thurs. Oh well I guess only the times matter.

Fri + Sat:

NES

Super Mario Bros. 3 - 35min

Sega CD

NHL 94 - 30min

Terminator - 20min

I had a 6 day work week this week so I didn't get much playing time. No 32x and no Jaguar. :sad: My work week is back to normal next week so hopefully my gaming will be too. BTW, no saves in SMB3? What's up with that?

Here are my times for this past week (February 7th through 13th)...

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Meteor Belt (TI-99): 10 minutes

Wizball (C-64): 172 minutes in 4 sessions

Cafe World (Facebook): 11 minutes

Cityville (Facebook): 191 minutes in 15 sessions

Farmville (Facebook): 17 minutes

ORF Ski Challenge (PC): 38 minutes

The settlers (Facebook): 33 minutes in 13 sessions

Wizball Remake (PC): 6 minutes

Total gaming time: 478 minutes (68 minutes per day)

I played "Meteor Belt" on the TI meeting on Wednesday against another attendant (cannot remember his name). We played two games against each other... on the first one I got a slight edge and won by having more points although I lost all my lifes first. On the second game I beat him by a wider margin (I think it was about 24000 against 9000 points in the end). This is a two player game where you and your enemy have a spaceship at the top and the bottom, facing each other. In between there's a meteor belt where both players shoot at, and different-colored meteors give different point values (some even subtract points). The players also shoot at each other, and the game ends when one of the players has lost all his lives, at which point the remaining lives get added to the score of the other player (I think at 1000 points per life). There are also shields on each side as in Space Invaders.

In Wizball, I reached a new high score (at least counting the sessions of this year) of over 230,000 points. That game took 52 minutes. After that, I played another short session of 18 minutes in which I decided I probably won't be able to do any better, so I think I'm finished with this game for now.

Then I downloaded a remake of Wizball for the PC which actually is a mix of different versions. The enemies and their movement patterns mostly adhere to those on the C-64 version, although the patterns are not 100% the same, and the enemy fire travels much faster than on the C-64. The graphics have been vastly improved with many special effects like additional explosions, and the sound is also a bit better than on the C-64. I only played 6 minutes of it to check it out however, maybe I will play more of it in the future.

In ORF Ski Challenge I played the last race which was on this weekend. I may have missed one or two races in the last weeks.

• Like 1

Here are my times for Thursday - Sunday:

Intellivision:

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain - 35 min.

Auto Racing - 21 min.

Frog Bog - 6 min.

Night Stalker - 10 min.

Sewer Sam - 221 min.

Skiing - 9 min.

Stampede - 7 min.

Utopia - 20 min.

ColecoVision:

Sewer Sam - 7 min.

Sega Master System:

Altered Beast - 5 min.

Great Golf - 3 min.

Secret Command - 36 min.

Dreamcast:

Toy Commander - 57 min.

Worms World Party - 57 min.

Lots of Intellivision this week, partly because I'm selling an Intellivision lot, which gave me an excuse for some extra playtime while testing the system and games. I've written elsewhere about my explorations into Sewer Sam this weekend, which were quite fruitful and made the game make sense to me at last. Since I destroyed all three subs, I guess you could say I beat the game.

I also beat AD&D Cloudy Mountain for the second time on the hardest settings. I only intended to do some routine testing, but got totally sucked in -- a testament to the game's terrific gameplay.

Finally, I pulled out Secret Command (aka Rambo II, aka Ashura, aka Secret Commando) on a whim, to take part in the SMS HSC for the first time. I've only played the game a handful of times, and hadn't played it in months except for one brief testing session. But I unexpectedly went on a tear, and made it all the way to the last level before succumbing to those damned bouncing grenades. The first few times I played this game I really struggled with it, so I'm pleasantly surprised that I've abruptly gotten good!

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 7, running from February 7-13. We logged 3041 minutes of eligible play, playing 43 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) - 356

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 286

3. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 240

4. Sewer Sam (Intellivision) - 221

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis) - 186

6. I-War (Atari Jaguar) - 180

7. Wizball (C64) - 172

8. Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis) - 146

9. Toy Commander (Dreamcast) - 119

10. Sonic Chaos (Game Gear) - 118

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 286

2. Sewer Sam (Intellivision) - 221

3. Wizball (C64) - 172

4. Qix (Atari 5200) - 90

5. Championship Tennis (Intellivision) - 45

6. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 35

7. Auto Racing (Intellivision) - 21

8. Utopia (Intellivision) - 20

9. Night Stalker (Intellivision) - 10

9. Meteor Belt (TI-99) - 10

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Genesis (547)

2. Atari Jaguar (480)

3. Intellivision (374)

4. Game Boy (356)

5. Atari 2600 (286)

6. Dreamcast (246)

7. Sega CD (215)

8. C64 (172)

9. Game Gear (118)

10. Atari 5200 (90)

Good week for the Genesis and Jaguar!

BTW, I believe Wizball is now in the 1000-minute club. Further details on that once the 2009 numbers are restored (coming soon, I think!).

• Like 2

Monday:

Sega CD:

Terminator - 100 min

SNES

Super Punch Out - 15min

Genesis:

Maximum Carnage - 10

Robocop vs Terminator - 5

100 min spent on Terminator and I still wasn't able to beat it. Got to the last 2 levels with about 14 lives and that is where the dumb begins. Blind jump downs that you have to guess where the certain death area is and where the ledge is. A grabber that you have to time your jump to land back on it when it closes. All adds up to lives drainers :x

Here are my times for this past week (February 14th through 20th)...

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10):

Wizball (C-64) 347 minutes in 4 sessions

Cityville (Facebook) 173 minutes in 14 sessions

The settlers (Facebook) 35 minutes in 13 sessions

ORF Ski Challenge (PC) 4 minutes

Wizball Remake (PC) 21 minutes

Total gaming time: 580 minutes (83 minutes per day)

This week, Wizball took up most of my gaming time. In fact, I played all sessions of Wizball yesterday, and I didn't play that many games, but made some new highscores... the highest one was, I think, about 374,000 points. That game lasted 84 minutes, and I completed Levels 1 through 5. However, after achieving this, you land on Level 8 where the shooting frequency of the enemies increases greatly.

I also played a little more of the Wizball remake, but it seems to be somewhat harder in that the enemies shoot faster.

In ORF Ski Challenge, I found out that the last race is already over (it was on last weekend), so there was nothing left for me to do.

In the other games, I completed or made progress in the usual quests. Nothing special to report there, except that the gaming time on those Facebook games slowly diminishes since there are less and less new quests to solve.

• Like 1

This last week I have played:

Atari Lynx

S.I.M.I.S. - 30 Minutes

Shanghai - 30 Minutes

Fat Bobby - 20 Minutes

Pokermania - 20 minutes

Duranik Demos - 10 Minutes

Sega Megadrive

Ultimate Qix - 30 Minutes

Thunderforce II - 20 Minutes

Hellfire - 20 Minutes