IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

My times for the end of the week:

3DO:

Casper - 20 min.

Gex - 12 min.

Immercenary - 436 min.

Novastorm - 8 min.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 99 min.

Intellivision:

Reversi - 15 min.

A couple months ago I'd just started to make sense of Immercenary, putting about an hour into it, but ended up setting aside my (newly acquired) 3DO for a while after that. This weekend I pulled it back out, got back into the game, and beat it in two days, making it the first 3DO game I've completed -- and actually, I think it's the first FPS I've ever completed (gotta check on that, though).

The description I wrote on Sega-16 is fairly apropos:

"One of those games that tries to seem a lot more complicated than it actually is -- it's basically a Spectre clone, as told from the perspective of Lawnmower Man [for Genesis]. Your character starts out weak as a kitten, but once you grind a bit and figure out the gameplay mechanics it's actually super-easy, and the boss fights are borderline pathetic. Good, clean, cheeseball fun. (Actually it's not that 'clean' -- there's quite a bit of nudity in this game!)"

Meanwhile I beat SSFII Turbo on 2- and 3-star difficulty, using my patented E. Honda button-mashing to eventually exhaust the computer's patience. Seems like the voice samples in this version are pitched too high?

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here are my times for the week:

Game Gear:

Sonic Triple Trouble - 271 minutes

SNES:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - 259 minutes

Donkey Kong Country - 106 minutes

Game Boy:

Donkey Kong - 148 minutes

Donkey Kong Land - 95 minutes

Sonic Triple Trouble got so many minutes because I was trying to get playthroughs for both Sonic and Tails with all chaos emeralds, and that 5th Special Stage was making me replay the game to that point multiple times (takes about 25 minutes to get there.) I ended up with the 2 good takes and 4 bad takes. Everything else was also beaten.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 8, running from February 14-20. We logged 3621 minutes of eligible play, playing 37 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 447

2. Immercenary (3DO) - 436

3. Wizball (C64) - 347

4. Secret Command (aka Rambo: First Blood Part II) (Sega Master System) - 277

5. Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear) - 271

6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) - 259

7. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 240

8. Terminator (Sega CD) - 160

9. Donkey Kong (Game Boy) - 148

10. I-War (Atari Jaguar) - 120*

*tied by Super Monkey Ball Jr. for Game Boy Advance, but that system is post-2000 so probably shouldn't count

Pre-NES top 10:

Insufficient entries to make a top ten.

Top 10 systems:

1. 3DO (575)

2. Atari 2600 (447)

3. Atari Jaguar (390)

4. SNES (380)

5. C64 (347)

6. Sega Master System (277)

7. Game Gear (271)

8. Game Boy (243)

9. Genesis (235)

10. Sega CD (160)

The 3DO stands at the top of the charts this week, perhaps for the first time ever! It barely misses out on the top spot in the individual category, as cheesy FPS Immercenary gets edged out by old classic Kaboom.

And a good thing too, because outside of a couple heavy hitters, the pre-crash systems got very little play this week.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Today:

Sega CD

Chuck Rock II - 70 min

This is the first time I've played the Church Rock series. It's not bad, nothing great though. While it doesn't look like anything that couldn't be done on the Genesis you can tell, like all Sega CD games, that it's the soundtrack that sets it apart. Oh and the FMV at the beginning.

Edited by GKC
  • Like 1

My times for Monday - Friday:

Intellivision:

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain - 7 min.

Pole Position - 10 min.

Reversi - 100 min.

Star Strike - 64 min.

Dreamcast:

Spirit of Speed 1937 - 27 min.

Toy Commander - 50 min.

3DO:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 5 min.

Beat the computer on the 6x6 board in all three difficulty modes in Reversi, though it probably took 20-30 attempts on the highest difficulty before I won one. The Inty is a tough opponent! I then started on the 8x8 boards and won a game on the easiest difficulty.

I also beat five of the six difficulty levels in Star Strike, and blew up five targets on difficulty #6 (which has no ending), so I guess that means I've beaten it. I'd never much played Star Strike before, and can't say I'm very fond of the game -- between the control glitches and the visibility issues, it's more frustrating than fun.

On the Dreamcast, I finished off the first set of levels in Toy Commander, earning trophies in all the stages (for fast completion) and beating the boss. Meanwhile, I played through a couple races in Spirit of Speed 1937, which I just picked up despite the fact that it's been described as one of the worst games on the Dreamcast. Maybe it's the contrarian in me, but I kind of like it, though the loading times are as abominable as I'd read.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

haven't been keeping track lately but I've got some times for yesterday…

Colecovision

Donkey Kong - 10 minutes

Donkey Kong Jr. - 20 minutes

Gorf - 30 minutes

Zaxxon - 15 minutes

Slither - 15 minutes

Mr. Do - 20 minutes

Lady Bug - 15 minutes

Smurfs - 10 minutes

Mouse Trap - 10 minutes

Time Pilot - 20 minutes

Sega Master System

Global Defense - 45 minutes

NES

Spy Hunter - 15 minutes

I just got the Colecovision yesterday with 23 games and a roller controller! I never had one before though I had a friend who had one so I had played it briefly as a child… I'm enjoying it thus far and have many more games to play!

I love Global Defense! I'm trying to get more perfect stages OR just complete the game… it is getting to be quite the challenge in the later stages just to destroy as much as I can and defensive stages are getting tough from misses in offensive stages… I'll try more on Sunday as I am coordinating a gaming meet tonight so I won't have time to play any SMS as I'll be playing some Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork tonight!

• Like 1

Back to work so today and yesterday is it for the week for me.

Sega CD:

Chuck Rock II - 40 min

Android Assault - 20 min

I didn't like CRII on my first time playing it but this second time I started getting a hang of it. Looking at the a walk through that I watched it looks like I came 1 level away from beating it before I stopped playing. Had I known I would have just keep playing. Oh well. Android Assault is a great game for the SCD but it is one of the slowest shmups I have ever played.

Here are my playtimes for this last week:

Sega Megadrive

Thunderforce 2 - 45 Minutes

Dynamite Duke - 20 Minutes

Ultimate Qix - 30 Minutes

Twin Cobra - 20 Minutes

Road Rash 2 - 30 Minutes

Lotus 2 - 20 Minutes

Combat Cars - 20 Minutes

Dragon's Fury - 30 Minutes

Hellfire - 20 Minutes

ESWAT - 20 Minutes

Alisia Dragoon - 30 Minutes

Atari Jaguar

Worms - 3 Hours

I-War - 1 Hour

Soulstar - 30 Minutes

Atari Lynx

S.I.M.I.S. - 30 Minutes

Rampart - 30 Minutes

Pokermania - 20 Minutes

Shanghai - 1 Hour

Sokomania - 15 Minutes

Here are my times for this past week (February 21th through 27th)...

I didn't play any classic games this week, so all play is ineligible:

Cityville (Facebook) 190 minutes in at least 14 sessions

Frontierville (Facebook) 6 minutes

Settlers (Facebook) 39 minutes in at least 10 sessions

Elude (Online) 9 minutes

Total gaming time: 244 minutes (35 minutes per day)

As you can see, I finished playing Wizball because the games were getting too long. On the other hand, Cityville intensified somewhat because they added some new quests to the game. I didn't actually play Frontierville, I only accepted all the requests I had for it.

Finally, a new game I tried was "Elude", which should somehow simulate the mood of someone depressive. Well, I had enough of that after playing it once, which took 9 minutes as listed above.

I haven't played too much this week because I've been busy doing other, more important things like attending the funeral of a Karaoke singer I knew called Otto Fridrich. Maybe things will get better next week...

My times for the weekend:

SNES:

Mortal Kombat II - 24 min.

SimCity - 283 min.

Toys: Let The Toy Wars Begin - 60 min.

Xardion - 47 min.

Dreamcast:

Toy Commander - 12 min.

Went on an SNES kick that started with Xardion, an aggravating platformer/shooter whose quirky charms can't make up for the painfully slow characters and cheap enemy patterns. Maybe I'd like this one better if I had the manual.

After a quick run at MKII with Jax (losing at Kintaro despite several close calls), I then got unexpectedly sucked into a long session of SimCity, making it to Metropolis status (over 100,000 residents). Ridiculously addictive if you're in the right frame of mind.

Finally, I beat Toys: Let The Toy Wars Begin on SNES, which was pretty easy to do since it's essentially identical to the Sega Genesis version which I know pretty well. I think I prefer the Genny on this one, as the FM synth music is punchier and brighter, and the gameplay a bit tighter. This could've been a great game, but it's still a lot better than most film license shovelware. It's hilarious how "Activision" the last level is -- no surprise given that David Crane helmed this title.

I also played a bit further into Toy Commander, but I think it gave me motion sickness. :woozy:

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here are my times for the week:

Game Gear:

Sonic Blast - 213 minutes

Genesis:

Sonic 3D Blast - 78 minutes

Saturn:

Sonic 3D Blast - 120 minutes

Nintendo 64:

Super Mario 64 - 206 minutes

Sonic Blast I tried four times to get all the emeralds with Sonic and failed so on the 5th run with Sonic I decided to just keep going to the end of the game even though I didn't get the 5th emerald. Then because of that and being tired of the game, when I did the 6th run as Knuckles who is harder to control anyway, I didn't even try to get any of the emeralds. The special stages aren't that bad, the thing is that you have only one chance for each in the whole game and if you mess up on one, it's back to the beginning and you get less practice with the last two special stages because of that when those are the ones that move fastest and require you to practice more. Skip it, beating a Game Gear Sonic game with all emeralds is like choosing hard mode on a game that lets you pick bewteen easy, normal and hard. On Genesis it's different where the emeralds are just super easy to get.

Ah Sonic 3D Blast. The Saturn version takes that much longer than the Genesis version just because of load times and me needing to repeat a couple special stages. Also not being able to get 2 special stages completed in one act adds to the need to slow down on a few more levels to preserve rings. I like the Saturn version much better though even though I grew up with the Genesis version.

And Super Mario 64... I have 68 stars already. I'm going for them all. Approximately 3 and a half hours is pretty good to get over half of the game's content collected including the 100 coin stars.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 9, running from February 21-27. We logged 3480 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 541

2. SimCity (SNES) - 283

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 273

4. Sonic Blast (Game Gear) - 213

5. Super Mario 64 (N64) - 206

6. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 180

7. Global Defense (Sega Master System) - 125

8. Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn) - 120

9. Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck (Sega CD) - 110

10. Mortal Kombat (Game Gear) - 105

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 541

2. Reversi (Intellivision) - 100

3. Star Strike (Intellivision) - 64

4. Gorf (ColecoVision) - 30

5. Tron: Deadly Discs (Intellivision) - 25

6. Time Pilot (ColecoVision) - 20

6. Mr. Do (ColecoVision) - 20

6. Donkey Kong Jr. (ColecoVision) - 20

9. Slither (ColecoVision) - 15

9. Zaxxon (ColecoVision) - 15

9. Lady Bug (ColecoVision) - 15

9. Lock 'n' Chase (Intellivision) - 15

9. Atlantis (Intellivision) - 15

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (687)

2. Atari 2600 (541)

3. Sega Genesis (363)

4. Game Gear (318)

5. Atari Jaguar (270)

6. Intellivision (261)

7. N64 (206)

8. ColecoVision (165)

9. Atari Lynx (155)

10. Sega CD (130)

The mighty Kaboom still reigns! Nice week for the SNES, and a nice week for diversity -- though our overall minutes went down, the number of different games went up, especially among pre-crash systems.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 2

Today:

Sega CD

Mickey Mania - 60 min

Android Asssault - 20 min

Been really stuck on and enjoying the heck out of the Sega CD lately. Mickey Mania is a very difficult game but it's still a very good platformer. My son is a huge Mickey fan so he gets a kick out of this game.

Sega CD:

Mickey Mania - 100 mins

N64:

Mario 64: 10 mins

I am getting close to beating Mickey Mania. Made it to Pete's tower but then wasted a couple of continues on a stupid spot where the walls move in on you. The game is hard but it relies heavily on patterns which you can get down if you play it enough making the game easier.