IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Here's the summary for Week 41, running from October 3 - 9. We logged 1880 minutes of eligible play, playing 25 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 590

2. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) - 368

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 301

4. Mortal Kombat II (Sega 32X) - 155

5. Final Fantasy Origins (PlayStation) - 95

6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation) - 94

7. Incredible Crisis (PlayStation) - 63

8. Courier Crisis (PlayStation) - 48

9. Bust-A-Move 4 (PlayStation) - 44

10. General Chaos (Genesis) - 36

Pre-NES top 10:

Not enough entries to make a top 10.

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries to make a top 10. The Atari 2600 would be #1 with 891 minutes, followed by the Genesis at #2 with 404 minutes.

Newly released VCS homebrew Candy Catcher takes the top spot, with Genesis dungeon crawler Shining in the Darkness at #2, in an otherwise quiet week.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (actually, only October 12th since I only played on that day...)

TI-99:

Protector II - 10 min.

Dig Dug - 5 min.

Frogger - 5 min.

Teufel - 10 min.

The times are estimated. All games were played on this week's TI-99 meeting in Vienna, where there was again a TI-99 set up. Protector II is the same game as on the VIC-20 where it's called "Protector" without the II as far as I know, and C-64. Similar to "Defender", you have to rescue people stranded on rooftops. You have to pick them up and bring them to another city, then after having placed them there, you pick them up again and bring them to a rescue shed (or whatever it's supposed to be). In contrast to "Defender", this has got a more detailed cityscape which doesn't only consist of mountains, but mountains, skyscrapers and technical installations. Actually, Klaus (the guy who leads the club) didn't quite know how to play this game, and I showed him.

I think I don't have to describe Dig Dug... only the TI-99 version is rather on the slow side, They could have done better by moving the sprites in 2-pixel steps and making them a bit smaller. Here, again, I showed Klaus how to do it.

At Frogger, I reached the 4th level on slow setting, which is surprisingly tough already... you don't have much chances for bringing your frog safely across the river.

Finally, Teufel is a game written in Extended Basic, "Teufel" is the german word for "Devil", and the game plays somewhat like a cross between "Snake" and "Qix". Your job is to eliminate devils (one more with each level) which chase you and are able to get you if you're not safe (surrounded by your own trails). Since for each step you take, only one of the devils take a step, the game actually gets easier with each level since each devil slows down with each level and thus it gets easier to escape them.

My times for the week:

Genesis:

Dangerous Seed - 59 min.

Shaq-Fu - 24 min.

Shining in the Darkness - 353 min.

Smart Mouse - 7 min.

Streets of Rage - 70 min.

Sega CD:

Star Wars Rebel Assault - 103 min.

Sega 32X:

Mortal Kombat II - 153 min.

Lots of beaten games this week, though the only one I completed on the highest difficulty is Mortal Kombat II, using 19 credits to get past Very Hard. I made another attempt and tried to do it in fewer, but couldn't get past Kintaro for some reason -- on my winning run, I beat him easily.

Otherwise I beat the easiest settings in Dangerous Seed, Star Wars: Rebel Assault, and (ahem) Shaq Fu, all of which I was playing for more or less the first time. I also beat Normal mode on Streets of Rage with my girlfriend, though she perished during the final boss fight, alas.

I also lost two games to crashing: my session of Smart Mouse, an unlicensed Taiwanese game, ended on Level 4 when I set off a bomb while the enemies were escaping. I guess the game wasn't expecting that, since the graphics promptly hung while the sound engine went completely haywire.

Then my attempt at Normal difficulty in Dangerous Seed came to an abrupt end when my neighbors' kid started a new session of his favorite pastime: jumping off some high object (his bed?) onto the floor, AKA our ceiling, causing a massive thump and making the whole house shake. Since Dangerous Seed is a Japanese game and I haven't modded my Genesis's shell, I play it on a Game Genie (which is less stable), and the vibration was enough to make my game crash. Fortunately I'd reached an impasse with the game so it wasn't the worst thing, but... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, and I did some more mapping and grinding in Shining in the Darkness, culminating in a run of bad luck when my party got wiped out by paralysis attacks despite having plenty of hit points and so forth. Fortunately I only lost about a half-hour's progress to that, and at least the mapping got done...

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 42, running from October 10 - 16. We logged 2095 minutes of eligible play, playing 23 games on a total of 8 systems. (EDITED 2011-10-25: Star Wars: Rebel Assault was inadvertently omitted from last week's totals.)

Top 10:

1. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 390

2. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) - 353

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321

4. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 200

5. Mortal Kombat II (Sega 32X) - 153

6. A-VCS-TEC Challenge (Atari 2600) - 120

7. Star Wars: Rebel Assault (Sega CD) - 103

8. Pitstop (Atari 8-bit) - 75

9. Streets of Rage (Genesis) - 70

10. Dangerous Seed (Genesis) - 59

Pre-NES top 10:

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321

3. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 200

4. A-VCS-TEC Challenge (Atari 2600) - 120

5. Pitstop (Atari 8-bit) - 75

6. krezreB (Atari 2600) - 45

6. Maciver (Atari 2600) - 45

8. Chunkout 2600 (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Serpentine (Atari 8-bit) - 25

10. Pinball (Intellivision) - 20

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries to make a top 10. The Atari 2600 would be #1 with 1151 minutes, followed by the Genesis at #2 with 513 minutes.

Berzerk regains the top spot in a strong week for the VCS, with RPG Shining in the Darkness again at #2.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 42, running from October 10 - 16. We logged 1992 minutes of eligible play, playing 22 games on a total of 7 systems.

Top 10:

2. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) - 353

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321

4. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 200

5. Mortal Kombat II (Sega 32X) - 153

6. A-VCS-TEC Challenge (Atari 2600) - 120

7. Pitstop (Atari 8-bit) - 75

8. Streets of Rage (Genesis) - 70

9. Dangerous Seed (Genesis) - 59

10. krezreB (Atari 2600) - 45

Pre-NES top 10:

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 321

3. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 200

4. A-VCS-TEC Challenge (Atari 2600) - 120

5. Pitstop (Atari 8-bit) - 75

6. krezreB (Atari 2600) - 45

6. Maciver (Atari 2600) - 45

8. Chunkout 2600 (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Serpentine (Atari 8-bit) - 25

10. Pinball (Intellivision) - 20

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries to make a top 10. The Atari 2600 would be #1 with 1151 minutes, followed by the Genesis at #2 with 513 minutes.

Berzerk regains the top spot in a strong week for the VCS, with RPG Shining in the Darkness again at #2.

You missed my totals but I've been busy helping a friend. I'll just attach my totals for the week onto this week's entries cause I expect to be playing less this week anyway

You missed my totals but I've been busy helping a friend. I'll just attach my totals for the week onto this week's entries cause I expect to be playing less this week anyway

I did notice you hadn't posted, but figured you were just busy. Theoretically the deadline for each week's totals is 12:00 PM EST on Monday, though I often wait a while for late arrivals to come in (and am occasionally late totaling things up, of course!). Maybe I/we should formally move the deadline to 8:00 PM EST?

• Like 1

I did notice you hadn't posted, but figured you were just busy. Theoretically the deadline for each week's totals is 12:00 PM EST on Monday, though I often wait a while for late arrivals to come in (and am occasionally late totaling things up, of course!). Maybe I/we should formally move the deadline to 8:00 PM EST?

It's no big deal to me. I still haven't played any games yet this week so tacking on last week's as this week's isn't really a cheat anyway. (After all this isn't a competition and there's no prizes or anything for playing the most games. lol)

My times for Monday - Friday:

NES:

Mega Man - 9 min.

Genesis:

Shining in the Darkness - 155 min.

Game Boy Color:

Montezuma's Return - 8 min.

Dreamcast:

Toy Commander - 668 min. (!)

After abandoning Toy Commander for a while, I'm trying to get the game finished off, and spent the better part of one of my days off working on it. I've opened up the seventh room and have the first 4-5 rooms completely cleared with all trophies, so I'm getting there...

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (October 17th through 23rd)...

I actually only played games on one day, October 19th, and only one of them was a classic game...

Online (non-eligible):

S-BUDGET Börserl Hops - 33 min.

VIC-20:

Protector - 122 min.

S-BUDGET Börserl Hops is a game on the homepage of grocery chain SPAR to promote their budget line S-BUDGET. That game was advertised in their flyers. It's a pretty simple game where you play a hopping purse (the logo of S-BUDGET) which you can steer left and right in order to let it hop to higher and higher platforms. As you continue, the platforms get smaller and the distance between them gets higher. On some platforms, extras await you which either do you good (like flying up a dozen platforms at once) or bad (like losing points or dying). The game essentially ends at a height where you can't reach the next platform anymore because the distance to it is too high, or if you fall of the bottom of the screen. This game actually could very well be adapted to the Atari 2600 since there is no horizontal overlap between platforms and extras - each scanline would only contain one platform OR an extra, so they all could share one player. The second player would be the purse which doesn't even need to be repositioned in mid-screen because it's only one object. Oh, and some scrolling supermarket furniture at the left and right, which is symmetric, so no great deal there either.

After having played the TI-99 version of Protector on last week's TI-99 meeting, I decided to try the VIC-20 version this week, which is the one I got to know first at my cousin's. This version is totally character based, so all objects move in whole character steps except for the enemies' long laser shots which advance in 1-pixel steps. Still, the version isn't bad to play. It's a bit more simple than the C-64 and the TI-99 version due to being only 8K in size, however. Still, I managed to beat it on the first level at the end of the session.

Playstation:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - 221 minutes

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 134 minutes

Spyro the Dragon - 118 minutes

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - 66 minutes

Final Fantasy Origins - 44 minutes

Tomb Raider - 36 minutes

I didn't end up playing any games this week but last week I wasn't around to post either so the times became this week's instead of last week's. THPS 2 & 3 have been beaten as Tony. Everything else on the list is still being worked on.

Here's the summary for Week 43, running from October 17 - 23. We logged 3466 minutes of eligible play, playing 22 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Toy Commander (Dreamcast) - 1044

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 648

3. Candy Catcher (Atari 2600) - 485

4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PlayStation) - 221

5. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 180

6. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) - 155

7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation) - 134

8. Protector (VIC-20) - 122

9. Spyro the Dragon (PlayStation) - 118

10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (PlayStation) - 66

Pre-NES top 10:

Not enough entries to make a top 10.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1348)

2. Dreamcast (1044)

3. PlayStation (679)

4. Genesis (155)

5. VIC-20 (122)

6. C64 (45)

7. Intellivision (30)

8. Atari 5200 (20)

9. NES/Famicom (9)

10. Game Boy Color (8)

One crazy week brings Toy Commander to the #1 spot. It was already at the edge of the 1000-minute club, but this week's time alone would qualify it! However, it's not enough to put the Dreamcast on top of the systems chart, as the Atari 2600 holds on to its crown.

• Like 1

Atari 2600

Kaboom!-648 minutes

High score of the week: 352,957

Hey, congratulations -- it's been a while since you've been scoring in that range, no? You'll get that 1 million yet. :D

Thanks

Yes it's been awhile. I cleaned my paddles with some WD40. I think I need to do it again because

I'm screwing up big time so far this week.

My times from Monday - Thursday:

Atari 2600:

AStar - 17 min.

Bugs - 55 min.

Football - 14 min.

Intellivision:

Super Pro Decathlon - 45 min.

Vectrex:

Vector Pilot - 30 min.

Vectrexians - 4 min.

Got a new personal best, 760 points, in Bugs on difficulty A (which is the easier difficulty). Still hoping to roll the score!

Also picked up some excellent homebrews -- Vector Pilot is just beautiful, and a fantastic port -- and spent some 2-player time with two sports games: an Intellivision rarity I just acquired (Super Pro Decathlon) and a VCS game my girlfriend and I figured out for the first time (Football), and which was unexpectedly fun.

• Like 1