IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Times for Monday - Wednesday:

Sega Genesis:

Fantasia - 131 min.

Played this for the first time this week, beating Easy on my first attempt. The following night I got about two-thirds of the way through Normal before I was interrupted.

Fantasia has a terrible reputation, and at first I thought it was one of the worst Genesis games I'd ever played, but once you get used to its quirks it's actually quite playable. Having said that, the game looks, sounds, and plays like a middling unlicensed game: unresponsive controls, half-assed renditions of classical music, buggy gameplay, graphics of wildly varying quality, and poorly designed stages. If this were a Chinese pirate or Color Dreams game, it'd be par for the course, but as an officially licensed and released first-party game, it's an embarrassment.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

My time for Wednesday - Saturday:

Dreamcast:

Worms World Party - 80 min.

Spyro: Season of Ice (GBA) 75 minutes (are we tracking GBA?)

Excellent question. Because of the year 2000 cutoff we hadn't been, but it's tempting to make an exception for a cart-based system whose hardware is so akin to the SNES. I've been playing GBA now and again, and have been posting my times but not adding them to the totals or Top 10s (at least not without a disclaimer). I'll go with whatever folks think is best on this.

Edited by thegoldenband

My time for Wednesday - Saturday:

Dreamcast:

Worms World Party - 80 min.

Spyro: Season of Ice (GBA) 75 minutes (are we tracking GBA?)

Excellent question. Because of the year 2000 cutoff we hadn't been, but it's tempting to make an exception for a cart-based system whose hardware is so akin to the SNES. I've been playing GBA now and again, and have been posting my times but not adding them to the totals or Top 10s (at least not without a disclaimer). I'll go with whatever folks think is best on this.

Why not put an additional tracker in the modern gaming forum for those systems 2000 and beyond?

Here are my times for this past week (February 28th through March 6th)...

First a few classic arcade games:

Burgertime (Arcade, pre-NES) 56 minutes

Millipede (Arcade, pre-NES) 22 minutes

Pengo (Arcade, pre-NES) 5 minutes

Pooyan (Arcade, pre-NES) 9 minutes

Rod-Land (Arcade, post-NES) 15 minutes

Scramble (Arcade, pre-NES) 10 minutes

Then, the usual non-eligible Facebook games:

Cityville (Facebook) 127 minutes in 14 sessions

The Settlers (Facebook) 33 minutes in 12 sessions

As you can see, I have a session of about two hours revisiting some old arcade games. In Burgertime, it took me less than an hour to get through all 6 patterns in a few attempts. I did remarkably well in Millipede too (I think about 50,000-60,000 points starting from 0). In "Pengo", I think I only played one game, as I did in "Pooyan" (reaching the 2nd bonus round). Rod-Land was a few quick games, and in Scramble, I got through to the "Labyrinth" (I think 5th stage out of 6), but no farther.

As for the modern games, in Cityville, I managed to build a factory, but this is a new feature which at first had a bug where it didn't display the friends hiring screen for factories, instead the whole display was screwed up (for certain languages). But they have fixed that bug meanwhile.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

My play times for the last week:

Sega Megadrive

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - 30 Minutes

Combat Cars - 15 Minutes

Ultimate Qix - 30 Minutes

Thunderforce II - 45 Minutes

Dragon's Fury - 20 Minutes

Atari Jaguar

Powerdrive Rally - 30 Minutes

Worms - 4 Hours

Cannon Fodder - 30 Minutes

Atari Lynx

Shanghai - 45 Minutes

Pokermania - 20 Minutes

Rampart - 30 Minutes

Got a little Saturn time in tonight.

Sega Rally Championship - 40 min

I bought an Action Replay about two months ago for the Saturn but it was around that time that I put my Saturn up to play some other systems. After tonight though I think I am going to get some more games for it and also look into some of the better imports.

Intellivision

Lock 'n' Chase - 20 minutes

The Power of He-Man - 15 minutes

Shark! Shark! - 20 minutes

Genesis

Batman Returns - 15 minutes

Cool Spot - 20 minutes

Evander Holyfield's Boxing - 15 minutes

Home Alone 2 - 30 minutes

Lion King - 15 minutes

Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention - 20 minutes

WWF Wrestlemania - 10 minutes

Here are my times for the week:

Game Boy:

Donkey Kong Land 2 - 136 minutes

Super Nintendo:

Donkey Kong Country 2 - 234 minutes

3DO:

Bust-A-Move - 224 minutes

Neo Geo CD:

Bust-A-Move (aka Puzzle Bobble) - 75 minutes

Playstation:

Beyond the Beyond - 515 minutes

Nintendo 64:

Super Mario 64 - 358 minutes

I beat all of these games this week except for Beyond the Beyond. I have broken Samson's curse, defeated Glade and am preparing to take Marion back from Bandore.

• Like 1

my times for the weekend which I tracked…

March 5

Colecovision

Pepper II - 30 minutes

Frenzy - 10 minutes

Buck Rodgers: Planet of Zoom - 10 minutes

Subroc - 10 minutes

Super Cobra - 15 minutes

NES

Platoon - 15 minutes

Spy Hunter - 15 minutes

Sega Master System

World Grand Prix - 20 minutes

Vigilante - 45 minutes

Xbox 360

Muchi Muchi Pork - 1 hour

Pink Sweets - 1 hour 45 minutes

March 6

Atari 5200

Countermeasure - 30 minutes

Space Dungeon - 25 minutes

Colecovision

Pepper II - 20 minutes

Venture - 20 minutes

Sega Master System

Fantasy Zone II - 45 minutes

Xbox 360

Pink Sweets - 2 hours

I was able to get a 5200 controller working out of the 5 that I have, so I spent some time with Countermeasure and not much else! I did pop in Space Dungeon (my favorite game on the 5200) and played that for a bit - no need for buttons on the other controller…

I am loving MMP/PS on the Xbox 360! spending all my time here and taking breaks playing some old fashioned games… Having alot of fun with Colecovision and happy to get a working 5200 controller so I may play a few more games this week…

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from February 28 - March 6. We logged 4785 minutes of eligible play, playing 68 games on a total of 21 systems.

Top 10:

1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 637

2. Beyond the Beyond (PlayStation) - 515

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 428

4. Super Mario 64 (N64) - 368

5. Mickey Mania (Sega CD) - 245

6. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 240

7. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) - 234

8. Bust-A-Move (3DO) - 224

9. Donkey Kong Land 2 (Game Boy) - 136

10. Fantasia (Genesis) - 131

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 428

2. Burgertime (Arcade) - 56

3. Pepper II (ColecoVision) - 50

4. Millipede (Atari 2600) - 45

5. Countermeasure (Atari 5200) - 30

6. Space Dungeon (Atari 5200) - 25

6. Megamania (Atari 8-bit) - 25

8. Millipede (Arcade) - 22

9. Venture (ColecoVision) - 20

9. Lock 'n' Chase (Intellivision) - 20

9. Shark! Shark! (Intellivision) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (981)

2. PlayStation (515)

3. Atari 2600 (473)

4. Genesis (396)

5. N64 (368)

6. Atari Jaguar (345)

7. Sega CD (265)

8. Sega Master System (225)

9. 3DO (224)

10. Game Boy (136)

The SNES takes the top spot this week on both the system and individual charts. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past has joined the 1000-minute club for sure!

Another great week for system diversity, as nine different systems are represented in the Top 10. Just about every stat went up this week.

BTW, I've decided to stick with the established tracker rules, and not to track GBA games for now. Maybe we'll track them next year. Folks are still welcome to post times, of course!

As for a separate tracker in the Modern Gaming forum for systems from 2000 and beyond, I'd say go for it if you feel there's interest. I personally am unlikely to participate, but that's only because I play comparatively little from recent-gen systems.

March 7:

Sega CD:

Android Assault - 40 min

Saturn:

Sega Rally - 20 min

Daytona USA - 10 min

Doom - 10

Still feeling the Saturn. Picked up Galactic Attack from a member here and also Mass Destruction from ebay. Both look extremely addicting. I am not sure why I stopped playing and buying for the Saturn after I got it (I think the 32x and Sega CD had something to do with it) but it's time to get some more games for it.

Times for the first two days of the week:

Genesis:

Marble Madness (Tengen) - 78 min.

After numerous attempts (and a couple of very close calls that induced me to coin numerous new expletives), finally beat this on Hard mode. Now only Very Hard is left, and while it'll take some serious good luck, I think it's doable.

When I'm having a good run in Marble Madness, it feels a bit like playing a difficult piece of classical music -- always the same, yet always different, and with nuances that only come with long hours of practice. I really think it's one of the best games of all time.

Just a bit of gaming tonight. The Genesis was already set up so I just played a couple games on that.

Genesis

Evander Holyfield Boxing - 45 minutes

Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention - 30 minutes

I wanted to play some Shark! Shark! on Intellivision but the way it's been going lately I could play that game forever. Didn't want to stay up too late tonight but maybe this weekend.