IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

Genesis:

Marble Madness (Tengen) - 51 min.

Risky Woods - 36 min.

Beat Very Hard mode in Marble Madness much sooner than I expected, albeit only by the skin of my teeth (1-2 seconds left at the end). The total margin for error is around 12-15 seconds, I think, which means that you need to play almost flawlessly through the first 3-4 levels to stand a chance. Still, it doesn't require perfection, and my winning run wasn't a paragon by any means. As I've said elsewhere, such a great port.

• Like 1

Today:

Sega CD:

Sonic CD - 20 min

Android Assault - 30 min

Saturn:

Daytona USA - 15 min

I just spend ALOT of money expanding my Saturn collection. 6 games and the Virtua Joystick. Nights into Dreams, Mass Destruction, Strikers 1945, Virtua Cop, Gex and Galactic Attack. Other than Virtua Cop in the arcades I haven't played any of these games. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Genesis:

Arcade Classics - 5 min.

Bimini Run - 54 min.

Fantasia - 200 min.

Slap Fight - 23 min.

Beat Fantasia on Normal with 3 "dreams" (lives) and 3 continues, and then beat it again with just one of each, since it's pretty easy to farm lives in this game. The game gets nastier on Normal, but isn't too much harder. Next, Hard mode.

Also played Arcade Classics...for just long enough to realize that it's utter trash! Pretty inexcusable, really.

• Like 1

Atari 800

Atlantis 32 minutes, I love this version.

Deluxe Invaders 12 minutes, slow slow slow.

Jungle Hunt 17 minutes, Really slow. I prefer the 2600 version.

Pooyan 20 minutes, Takes me back to the 80s.

Atari 2600

Night Driver 15 minutes

Pole Position 8 minutes

Game and Watch

Donkey Kong Double Screen 15 minutes

• Like 1

Genesis:

Fantasia - 110 min.

Intellivision:

Championship Tennis - 150 min.

Beat Fantasia on its hardest settings. I talked about the game elsewhere, so I won't repeat myself here.

Then I played two matches in Championship Tennis at Tournament level, which is the second-highest. The first match I played, I went down 1-6 2-6 7-5 3-6, which was fine since I was getting back up to speed.

The second one, though, was a heartbreaker! I lost by the same number of sets, but the score this time was 6-4 6-7 5-7 5-7, and I had several set points in the second set and served for the third. Just couldn't convert...

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Intellivision:

Championship Tennis - 51 min.

Victory at last (on Tournament difficulty), playing on hardcourt at Flushing Meadows, and with a nice scoreline: 7-5 6-3 6-1.

Despite a few nasty bugs and the slightly subpar graphics, this is far and away the most realistic pre-crash tennis game I've played. The dynamic of the game feels absolutely right, with a great balance between tactical play and big hitting, and the computer is a very worthy opponent. There isn't much of a net game, and lobs are mostly useless since they almost always float long, but otherwise it's excellent.

Actually our matches felt a bit like Lendl (Blue) vs. Borg (Red), since the computer is fairly consistent and hits a lot of medium-pace balls. At first I needed to do a lot of patient rallying to hold my ground, but over time I was able to find my range with the forehand, and develop a sense of which shots were likely to pay off and/or stay between the lines. For example, a cross-court forehand hit straight at the computer would often elicit an error in response, just as a real-life human player might get "jammed" by the pace of a hard shot hit directly at him. That's something you never see in other tennis games, but Championship Tennis gets it right.

Next up, Championship difficulty!

• Like 1

Here are my times for this week (March 7th through 13th):

All of my gaming is non-eligible for the Top 10 since I didn't play any classic games:

Cityville (Facebook): 185 minutes in 17 sessions

The settlers (Facebook): 26 minutes in 10 sessions

I did plan to play some classic games, but I didn't find time for them... this week was pretty tight at work with two meetings at times where I would normally be at home. But maybe next week I'll get some classic games in... now with the atomic disaster in Japan, I'm in for some violent games made in 1986 (when the Tchernobyl disaster struck) such as Raid over Moscov (C-64), Raid on Bungling Bay (C-64) or Rambo: First Blood Part II (C-64). We'll see if I'll make it to free up any time for those...

As for the games I actually played... there are clearly bottlenecks in each of them which prevent you from getting on as quickly as you could without them. In "The settlers", it's levelling up your factories which only works after having produced a certain number of goods, causing a multi-week delay until you make the highest level for some buildings, with bottleneck number two being goods mining. In Cityville, it's clearly getting zoning permits from your neighbors. I need 20 permits for an additional expansion area now, and without that, I can't place the buildings needed for the quests.

times for the weekend…

March 12:

Atari 5200

Space Dungeon - 30 minutes

NES

Platoon - 45 minutes

Friday the 13th - 40 minutes

Sega Master System

Fantasy Zone II - 20 minutes

California Games - 10 minutes

Xbox 360

Pink Sweets - 1 hour

March 13:

NES

Friday the 13th - 30 minutes

Legend of Kage - 10 minutes

Sega Master System

The Ninja - 30 minutes

Xbox 360

Muchi Muchi Pork - 1 hour

Pink Sweets - 1 hour 20 minutes

Forgot to do this last night so we go now:

Atari Jaguar

Worms - 5 Hours

Atari Karts - 30 Minutes

I-War - 30 Minutes

Sega Megadrive

Bio Hazard Battle - 30 Minutes

Truxton - 20 Minutes

Wrestle War - 20 Minutes

Mean Bean Machine - 30 Minutes

Arrow Flash - 20 Minutes

Atari 8-Bit

Asteroids - 20 Minutes

Commando - 20 Minutes

Edited by The_Laird

Here's the summary for Week 11, running from March 7 - 13. We logged 4538 minutes of eligible play, playing 65 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Beyond the Beyond (PlayStation) - 1124

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 462

3. Fantasia (Genesis) - 310

4. Worms (Atari Jaguar) - 300

5. Championship Tennis (Intellivision) - 201

6. Karate Kid (NES/Famicom) - 190

7. Bionic Commando (NES/Famicom) - 165

8. Marble Madness (Tengen) (Genesis) - 129

9. Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum (NES/Famicom) - 125

10. Android Assault (Sega CD) - 105

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 462

2. Championship Tennis (Intellivision) - 201

3. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 90

4. Jungle Hunt (Atari 8-bit) - 37

5. Atlantis (Atari 8-bit) - 32

6. Space Dungeon (Atari 5200) - 30

7. Q*bert (Arcade) - 25

8. Asteroids (Atari 8-bit) - 20

8. Commando (Atari 8-bit) - 20

8. Pooyan (Atari 8-bit) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (1194)

2. Genesis (752)

3. NES/Famicom (740)

4. Atari 2600 (600)

5. Atari Jaguar (380)

6. Intellivision (201)

7. Atari 8-bit (141)

8. Sega CD (125)

8. Sega Saturn (125)

10. Arcade (110)

The PlayStation takes the top spot on the individual and system charts, with Beyond the Beyond vaulting immediately into the 1000-minute club. Meanwhile, the Genesis and NES are nearly in a dead heat for the #2 and #3 spots, and a good showing all around for Atari systems.

• Like 2

Today: still feeling the Saturn and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Saturn:

Gex - 45 min

Virtua Cop - 20 min

Non-eligible

Wii:

Rayman Raving Rabbids - 20 min

Is it just me or has the Saturn gotten better with age? I remember it not being to hot of a "next gen" console (when it was next gen in the mid 90s that is) but it's a pretty great retro console. Probably the $50-$80 price tag now as opposed to the $400 price tag then helps but even still when everything isn't just about the graphics (which is usually what all "next gens" are about) you can sit back and find some good games.

Today:

Saturn

Mass Destruction - 25 min

Gex - 45 min

Non-eligible

Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion - 40 min

I cannot find the remote in the Grave Danger stage of Gex. My entire play time of Gex came from that stage alone trying to find the remote. I like Gex but I am not sure I am a fan of having to find items in order to move to the next stage instead of just beating the level like in most games. It leaves the possibility of getting stuck when you can't find the item such as in my case. I've beaten this stage probably a dozen times trying to find that remote but I can't move on to the next stage. :x